The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The time has come to buy me a Supra.

RyanGodley

Hello all!

I've been working my ass off saving many pennies. Now finally, I have enough to buy the car I've dreamed of for years.

I'd love it if you guys could give me some help!

Basically I'm after a 1993-1995 twin turbo 6 speed and what id like to know is;

-What year to go for. (do they differ in style and performance from year to year?)

-With regards to tuning, what's more suitable vvti or non vvti.

-What model to go for: RZ, SZ, GZ (bearing in mind I will be having the engine built in time, to around 600hp).

-What faults to look out for when viewing: I've done some research and it seems that Supras suffer from rust on the underside, but if there's any other big things to look out for id much appreciate that advice.

-Are there any models to stay away from with regards to tuning.

-If there's anyone out there looking to sell a 6 speed twin turbo/ built single turbo, I am in hot pursuit and would love to speak to you!

I would like to say once I have my car ill be signing up for a full membership on here, this site is great.

Kind Regards

Ryan Godley

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ryan

I'm sure this will be echoed but if you pay your £10 membership now, you'll have access to the classified ads in the forum. Also there's plenty of guides on the Supra within the forum. Just use that Search function ;)

Oh, and welcome, welcome!

Hi Ryan

I'm sure this will be echoed but if you pay your £10 membership now, you'll have access to the classified ads in the forum. Also there's plenty of guides on the Supra within the forum. Just use that Search function ;)

Oh, and welcome, welcome!

If you do sign up this chap also has a car worth looking at too, that might fit your needs and budget.

-What year to go for. (do they differ in style and performance from year to year?)

93-96 is prefacelift. Late 96 onwards is facelift. I'd go for a facelift if you have the budget.

-With regards to tuning, what's more suitable vvti or non vvti.

As far as I'm aware, the non-VVTi is easier to tune to bigger power.

-What faults to look out for when viewing

There is a buyers guide on the homepage with all you need to know.

HTH

pay up be a member £10 for a year or £30 for life.

There members with cars at your spec and maybe with in budget for sale.

Member ship your level up and gain more POWERS!!

O welcome to the club!

PS look at this for models and differences its on the home page ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?59334-Supra-Guide-and-Model-Differences-Chart

models and differences

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=28844&d=1140111389

Guide to supras :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=28847&d=1140112667

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

Hello friend!

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm. All the specs off all the different models of the supra mkiv are listed in here. It's worth a look. Get a UK spec TT, steel turbos ftw! JDM supras have keramic turbos and only make 280 hp (still alot, but not the legendary 330). I'm sure theres some other differences aswell, but read through that page i linked you & you should be loads wiser :D

Welcome to the forum mate :D

Hi mate welcome to the forum :)

Good shout getting a TT6 straight off the bat; you'll save yourself £££ as you already have the gearbox and some other parts! If you're not fussed about the stock advantages the VVTi system provides, then don't bother with one as mine has only caused me to pay out extra on ECU fittings and cams!

Look forward to see what you settle for

Take that figure with a pinch of salt as 280hp was a gentlemans agreement between the Japanese manufacturers. The Supra is well known for the turbo models showing over that on the dyno straight from the factory

This. The JSpecs only making 280hp is a crock of poop. The UK spec steel turbos can cope with more abuse, but that's it. The power figure is the same.

This. The JSpecs only making 280hp is a crock of poop. The UK spec steel turbos can cope with more abuse, but that's it. The power figure is the same.

Yep, my previous stock JDM Supra managed 352bhp on a Dyno with just a double decat. So completely stock it would have been 326bhp or there abouts.

And as auto's appear to be the current hot topic, Ill champion the cause by saying the immortal words, don't discount the auto, 6 speeds arent the be all and end all :) And don't say you hate autos without trying one.

There, Ive done my bit :D

Well done that man, let's keep championing the auto as many a manual man has been converted from the dark side:d

Regarding rot the front cross member that the radiator sits on is one on the places a lot of mkiv's

have issues with.

One thing you should do when viewing these old cars is look beyond paintwork, wheels etc, it's all

the hidden things that are hard to check that will cost you money, suspension parts, brake calipers,

heater matrix, radiator, etc