The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The time has come to buy me a Supra.

RyanGodley

Regarding rot the front cross member that the radiator sits on is one on the places a lot of mkiv's

have issues with.

One thing you should do when viewing these old cars is look beyond paintwork, wheels etc, it's all

the hidden things that are hard to check that will cost you money, suspension parts, brake calipers,

heater matrix, radiator, etc

This.

Oh and Boostman it's only due to struggling to find a new car I'm NA bashing. I would have that car back in a heartbeat after the last week.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I was expecting like 2 responses at most, thanks all for being so helpful.

I will give the sent links a good read tonight!

Morrisoncraig2... Dude that car is freakin badass, I may have to fire an email at Torque GT.

I've been talking to JDM imports, hopefully receiving an email back on Monday about a Nice tt 6 speed. My only issue is the £15,000 its going to cost :/ I feel if I wait long enough ill find one for a better price in the UK. Any thoughts on that anyone?

Swampy442... No offence man, I just feel a 6 speed is the real deal. A true drivers car... Sorry dude I don't mean to put them down I'm sure their great in some way or another. From personal experience, I drove my mums Mercedes 350slk and my dads almost new Audi A5 semi auto. They both failed to really get my juices pumping, which is strange considering my daily driver is a 1.9 Transporter ha. I put that down to the fact I never felt fully in control of either car. I like to use engine braking, rev matching on downshifts etc.. I just enjoy running through the gears, choosing the point in which the car changes up or down. You have complete control. The gear changes in that modern Audi, in manual sport mode, still failed to impress. And a supra being even older cant possibly be any better...

I will keep you guys posted on my movements, as I'm sure ill have many more questions along the way.

Thanks again for all of your replies, they are all much appreciated.

Ryan.

Wow I was expecting like 2 responses at most, thanks all for being so helpful.

I will give the sent links a good read tonight!

Morrisoncraig2... Dude that car is freakin badass, I may have to fire an email at Torque GT.

I've been talking to JDM imports, hopefully receiving an email back on Monday about a Nice tt 6 speed. My only issue is the £15,000 its going to cost :/ I feel if I wait long enough ill find one for a better price in the UK. Any thoughts on that anyone?

Swampy442... No offence man, I just feel a 6 speed is the real deal. A true drivers car... Sorry dude I don't mean to put them down I'm sure their great in some way or another. From personal experience, I drove my mums Mercedes 350slk and my dads almost new Audi A5 semi auto. They both failed to really get my juices pumping, which is strange considering my daily driver is a 1.9 Transporter ha. I put that down to the fact I never felt fully in control of either car. I like to use engine braking, rev matching on downshifts etc.. I just enjoy running through the gears, choosing the point in which the car changes up or down. You have complete control. The gear changes in that modern Audi, in manual sport mode, still failed to impress. And a supra being even older cant possibly be any better...

I will keep you guys posted on my movements, as I'm sure ill have many more questions along the way.

Thanks again for all of your replies, they are all much appreciated.

Ryan.

You can't compare it to the Audi A5 nor the Merc, it wouldn't be fair on them to be honest. It is so much better & this is coming from someone who has a 6 speed.

With regards to not having control is nonsense, the gearbox doesn't have a mind of its own. We have people on here who do track days in the auto. Remember you haven't driven one!

Abz;

That's fair enough mate, but in what way is it better than a modern German car? I'm not being a knob here, I would honestly like to know.

'the gearbox doesn't have a mind of its own'

I feel it kind of does mate. The most annoying thing I found with both autos I've driven is the crazy unpredicted downshifts when going from quarter/half throttle to full throttle. Its almost like it cant make its mind up, it drops one gear then thinks oh I can actually drop another and does so but not in one swift change. Do you know what I mean? Its just not fun and I Personally feel it takes the pleasure out of driving.

When I say I don't feel in full control I don't mean I'm driving like a twat all over the shop, I just feel I'm not at one with it.

Don't get me wrong abz I know some of the fastest drag supras are autos. I'm not trying to start the battle of the gearbox's' here, just giving my personal opinion on the feel of an auto.

Abz;

That's fair enough mate, but in what way is it better than a modern German car? I'm not being a knob here, I would honestly like to know.

I feel it kind of does mate. The most annoying thing I found with both autos I've driven is the crazy unpredicted downshifts when going from quarter/half throttle to full throttle. Its almost like it cant make its mind up, it drops one gear then thinks oh I can actually drop another and does so but not in one swift change. Do you know what I mean? Its just not fun and I Personally feel it takes the pleasure out of driving.

When I say I don't feel in full control I don't mean I'm driving like a $#@! all over the shop, I just feel I'm not at one with it.

Don't get me wrong abz I know some of the fastest drag supras are autos. I'm not trying to start the battle of the gearbox's' here, just giving my personal opinion on the feel of an auto.

Where are you based ? And are you covered third party on other vehicles through your insurance ?

Based in Hampshire. I'm insured to drive my old mans Audi whenever he's not using it. And my mums SLK, which she no longer has, I took for a spin a few times here and there. Why do you ask, are you a policeman ha...... :run:

If your not far from me then would take you for a spin but Hampshire is a big place. Can you be more specific ? Town ?

Wow Legend! I'm Basingstoke mate. There used to be a guy who lived in Brighton hill (Basingstoke) who had a beast of a supra. In grey much like your profile picture. He was probably the one who actually got me into Supra's.

One day in my youth, I was outside a one-stop eating sweets or something along those lines and he turned up, in that grey beauty. My jaw dropped at the sight and sound of it, it was perfect in my eyes! To top it off he did a real nice snaky burnout as he left, wheels narrowly missing the curbs as the rear end swung one way then the other. Exhaust popping and spitting.. Ahh! Since that day I've been hooked!

I was in my element lol bless me, I couldn't believe what I just saw. Props to that man.

Abz;

When I say I don't feel in full control I don't mean I'm driving like a twat all over the shop, I just feel I'm not at one with it.

No need to start the battle of the boxes, I own a 6 speed anyway :D

It's a lot better than the common German cars, and that is based on experience from driving pretty much everything. The newer auto's are normally 6 - 8 speed. This is a 4 speed auto so it doesn't keep shifting up & down & certainly wouldn't downshift 2 gears in separate occasions unless you sort of put your foot down a little & then bury it which is expected on any gearbox.

Take up Matt's offer ;)

Regardless of your gearbox choice, buy the best that you can afford. Any 6 speed car is going to cost you over £10k now, and a fresh import is bound to be in much better condition than one that has seen a few winters in the UK. £15k is pretty expensive though, you would expect a very straight VVTi 6 speed for that money. If that is a bit rich, you should still be able to find a clean pre facelift 6 speed TT for around £12k.

I'm not going to get into the pros and cons of the gearboxes, suffice to say that the 6 speeds are in high demand, and there is little supply. It is very unlikely you will get one for a bargain, as cheap ones are almost always picked up straight away by traders. Also bear in mind that if you break a 6 speed gearbox, a second hand one will cost you around £3k... and again, bargains are almost non existent because of demand.

I will take Matt up on that offer, any day any time ha..

I'm very interested in Lbooths UK 6 speed tt..

I've been looking at the pictures, she's a beauty. In the best colour too ;)

Before I go ahead and message him, I'm going to sign up to this forum... Oh and find a few more pennies. May even have to take drastic action and scrap in my precious copper collection.

I believe he said he's not having any more viewings until after Easter now so that gives me some time. Guarantee he'll sell it tomorrow now, if its not already lol

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...