The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Knightracer (and others)

boombastictiger

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re a good bodyshop or should I say the best bodyshop, is with out doubt GVN, don't wast your money on Knight Racer. I've not heard a single good word about work they have done. Don't wanna name names, but recently 2 full respray jobs on two separate supras did not come out too well. Also a mates trial bumper was painted back in Feb, and it exploded on him coz it was not securely fasten, they did not do the admirable thing and admit liability, so he had no choice but to get it done again, else where at his own expense. It was only yesterday I was inspecting another mates Supra, who had work done a few weeks back, and he ain't happy at all!!!! :(

U have been warned!!

knightracer when shortened by someone with 1 braincell

Oh, I see! :D

don't wast your money on Knight Racer. I've not heard a single good word about work they have done. Don't wanna name names, but recently 2 full respray jobs on two separate supras did not come out too well.
Interesting.

I know Wayne wasn't too happy with the respray Knight Racer did on his blue aerotop, he said so on here. And I've heard that Matt H's isn't 'all that' either.

Are these the two you're talking about or are there others?

Oh, I see! :D

Interesting.

I know Wayne wasn't too happy with the respray Knight Racer did on his blue aerotop, he said so on here. And I've heard that Matt H's isn't 'all that' either.

Are these the two you're talking about or are there others?

JamieP, had a full respray a few months back and a week later the paint started to melt and run or look all funny. So it went back in for another full respray.

Supro, he got a rear trial-rear bumper painted, they did not secure it properly, supposed to be 4 clips and they only used 2, so on the motor way, it exploded and ripped it self off the car. The rear bumper as u can imagine was unsalvageable at that speed. He took it back to them and they did not wanna know! To put it blunt they told him to F**K OFF!!

Bensan, who I did the LeMans run a few months back, the car was in for the roof and a few other bits, like a wing and sideskirts. The lacker they used was soooooooooooooooo thin that you could, blatantly see the over spray, as it was not blended properly and feel the unevenness in smoothness in the paint. They in my opinion fobbed him off by telling him, that T-Cut would sort it out! Which I very much doubt as its to do with the thickness of the lacker.

I own a car dealership in London, and if my painter did jobs like the ones above, he'll be dismissed on the spot!!! :(

Definately recommend

GVN for your body work needs can't go wrong with these two IMO you will not be disappointed.

That's great if you want to spend 4k for a respray. For most of us the car just isn't worth spending that kind of money on though.

It was all right for you because the insurance company paid for it all after your shunt at the Ace Cafe but if it was your own money would you really have paid for it to be done at GVN?

That's great if you want to spend 4k for a respray. For most of us the car just isn't worth spending that kind of money on though.

It was all right for you because the insurance company paid for it all after your shunt at the Ace Cafe but if it was your own money would you really have paid for it to be done at GVN?

To be fair Jake, I've seen GVNs work and they are 2nd to none. They do work on SLR etc.

Again you get what you pay for if you want a £1500 respray or a £4000 respray its up to you. But going back to the original question, about this lad who wanted his front bumper painting, I would def recommend GVN. I know Kinght Racer quoted me £180 for the bumper, I cant see GVN being too far off as I know Mass is getting his back bumper, front bumper and a few other bits done for £400.

Though the insurance paid for that respray I think Lui is one who's learnt the hard way that cheap is not the best way to go.

I've heard many, many bad reports of KR's work, as many as there are good ones. I won;t go quoting exmaples, but have seen 6 cars first hand and on every one have seen serious issues with the paintwork and finish.

To be fair Jake, I've seen GVNs work and they are 2nd to none.
I didn't say otherwise.

I've seen their work and it's always very good. As it should be for the price.

They do work on SLR etc.
:shrug: I'm not sure what your point is there mate.

Again you get what you pay for
Or, more often, what the insurance company is paying for ;)

Though the insurance paid for that respray I think Lui is one who's learnt the hard way that cheap is not the best way to go.

I've heard many, many bad reports of KR's work, as many as there are good ones. I won;t go quoting exmaples, but have seen 6 cars first hand and on every one have seen serious issues with the paintwork and finish.

If KR are so bad then why are they allowed to trade on here ? really doesnt make any sence imo.

Just for the record wayne when mine was in at turbofit for some work it was under a ramp with another car on it which leaked brake fluid on min and wrecked the paint on one arch, the other arch caught a tyre one day whilst drifting, Knightracer resprayed the whole car free of charge and the paintwork is perfect now:)

Just for the record wayne when mine was in at turbofit for some work it was under a ramp with another car on it which leaked brake fluid on min and wrecked the paint on one arch, the other arch caught a tyre one day whilst drifting, Knightracer resprayed the whole car free of charge and the paintwork is perfect now:)

Ok JamieP, I was wrong to include you as an example, well here is an example of a satisfied customer. :D

If KR are so bad then why are they allowed to trade on here ? really doesnt make any sence imo.

Members vote traders in, it's not up to us. If there are significant complaints about a trader we can get involved, however this is very rare.

They also have yearly renewals where members, again, vote whether they should be back in or not.

I had a bumper respray and fender fix done by GVN, and their prices were decent, compared to some of the other quotes. This was for the mazda BTW, not the supra.

However I must agree with jake, that I would not spend £4K on a respray, its half (more likely a third) the value of my car basically, just not worth it.

my car is booked in with KN for veilside side skirts, spats and veilside offenders all to be fitted and sprayed for £900 end of the week, im having doubts now because of all these bad reports! :(

You've seen my car Emin, and KN did a half-respray on it (passenger side) so judge for yourself! Personally I'm very happy with it, so there you go....

i wouldnt worry.

and a 1500 full respray quote? maybe you need to check that quote again. i was quoted 4k i think for a full respray including fitting of kit when i asked out of interest. as it turned out when i just had my kit fitted at KR i had the kit sprayed and fitted and a front quater sprayed. at the end of the day they couldnt remember which side i wanted so did the other one. for free. then blended the paintwork for the trial rear right up onto the roof so they resprayed the roof also. the only thing they didnt respray was the doors and the bonnet. And im not going to argue with that :) at the end of the day i ended up with almost a full respray. doors are next on the list :)

well its too late to back out now as its all booked in and that so we will see how it goes... im sure it will be fine though. :)

It wont hurt to compare quotes, I would get a quote from GVN, for the work your gonna do, just for future reference. I cant image they will be a hell of allot more expensive than you've been quoted. Let us know what you get quoted. :)

I can name 4 cars I've seen with BAD Knight Racer resprays, or at least have had bad past experiences with them, but of course I don't want to in case it offends some members. :(

I wouldn't trust them with a barge pole to be honest. I paid £680 for my bonnet respray, mop and polish of car at PL Carbodies. Knight Racer quoted £700 for both front wings, the bonnet and the rear quarter. Of course cheap is not the best. :)

Bensan, who I did the LeMans run a few months back, the car was in for the roof and a few other bits, like a wing and sideskirts. The lacker they used was soooooooooooooooo thin that you could, blatantly see the over spray, as it was not blended properly and feel the unevenness in smoothness in the paint. They in my opinion fobbed him off by telling him, that T-Cut would sort it out! Which I very much doubt as its to do with the thickness of the lacker.

People.

As you all know with these things, you need to know the full story before calling out the firing squad. The boys had been asked to repair my sideskirt - for which they quoted me a price. Having been given an expert opinion, it was booked in and work started. They realised that it wasn't worth saving the damage and supplied me a new skirt without charge, much to my delight.

The roof was done to a really good standard - aside from the aforementioned over-spray of lacquer, for which they offered to rectify for me. I did decline and ask if there was anything I could do myself instead, as I do live in London and can only make a pick up on weekends. So, I told them that I'll take their advice in good faith and try to do it myself.

The rest of the marking is quite odd - and puzzled us both. It looks a bit like water marks on the bonnet, so it was hard to place blame at best. Bear in mind that it was so subtle that I only discovered them a couple of weeks later, which didn't help diagnose the origins of the problem - so I bit the bullet and we both came to a mutual agreement to avoid a dispute. I've tried a little T-cutting and it seems to come off. Phew.

So let's get back on the subject of Phoenix - as they may be a real option to me too - being closer to home. I read with interest. :)

For every good report, i've heard as many bad ones.

They're cost effective, for sure. But then so were TF in the early days. YPCYPT

Supro, he got a rear trial-rear bumper painted, they did not secure it properly, supposed to be 4 clips and they only used 2, so on the motor way, it exploded and ripped it self off the car. The rear bumper as u can imagine was unsalvageable at that speed. He took it back to them and they did not wanna know! To put it blunt they told him to F**K OFF!!

I can name 4 cars I've seen with BAD Knight Racer resprays, or at least have had bad past experiences with them, but of course I don't want to in case it offends some members. :(

I wouldn't trust them with a barge pole to be honest. I paid £680 for my bonnet respray, mop and polish of car at PL Carbodies. Knight Racer quoted £700 for both front wings, the bonnet and the rear quarter. Of course cheap is not the best. :)

:blink: So what's being done ? Is it fair on the paid up forum members to not be aware of the many many examples of poor workmanship ? Surely it's obvious if work is bad, it's on the outside of the car - so not open to objection.