The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Knightracer (and others)

boombastictiger

That's great if you want to spend 4k for a respray. For most of us the car just isn't worth spending that kind of money on though.

It was all right for you because the insurance company paid for it all after your shunt at the Ace Cafe but if it was your own money would you really have paid for it to be done at GVN?

I did, and even paid more than £4K and it was worth it! They basically put my car back together

I would recommend GVN and Mark from Phoenix, who is a top guy!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink: So what's being done ? Is it fair on the paid up forum members to not be aware of the many many examples of poor workmanship ? Surely it's obvious if work is bad, it's on the outside of the car - so not open to objection.

Usual story though isn't it mate. Alike the TF saga where some people were happy and others weren't. A few people expressed their thoughts when KN was up for renewal on the trader survey, but they still got trader status.

What they do is take the 'oh if it fooks up, we'll repair it' approach. So more time, money and hassle to get shody work repaired in the first place. I would be happy to post up poor work for others to see, but I've been clever in the respect that I've never gone near them bud.

I have warned people before though via PM a few times, and in a couple of threads IIRC.

Usual story though isn't it mate. Alike the TF saga where some people were happy and others weren't. A few people expressed their thoughts when KN was up for renewal on the trader survey, but they still got trader status.

What they do is take the 'oh if it fooks up, we'll repair it' approach. So more time, money and hassle to get shody work repaired in the first place. I would be happy to post up poor work for others to see, but I've been clever in the respect that I've never gone near them bud.

I have warned people before though via PM a few times, and in a couple of threads IIRC.

no offience... but how can you possibly comment on "poor workmanship" of a company if your car has never been there?

thats like me saying "bullets dont hurt... But ive never been shot"

Clearly you havent read my earlier post either at all or properly. I can make the above comment because i HAVE seen their work on other members cars. Two of which are what i consider as good friends. So, i appreciate your attempt at interfering and swaying the point of my post, but have a good read through what i said first now.

on sunday i looked at a spray job done by KR this was on a members car.I could see that the colour was a different shade in some parts of the car,this was not a small differance but realy quite noticable.he pointed out variouse other problems with the work carried out by KR.from what i understand the car is going back sometime in the near future.Shorly this should not be happening on a what seems regular basis.It also seems strange they shared with TF.Is it just me or is there a pattern developing here?????

the only parts on my car like that are the doors which havent been sprayed. which i would expect with new vs old paint anyway. I have no problems with my work.

And i agree this thread should be cleaned up. it is confusing. Also in danger of turning into a witchhunt.

Albert and Joe when above and beyond when it came to sorting my car out. Despite realising half way through the work that it had had a blow over at some point in it's past they still managed to match the paint perfectly. Red is not an easy colour to match, especially on a 9 year old car that has also had a blow over yet they got it right. Further more, they didn't charge any extra, a real rarity these days.

I've had work done on several cars I've owned over the years at various diferent places and I can honestly say that the fitment, colour match and quality of parts is excelent and I will definitely be using them again.

Oh, and I refrained from commenting on the Turbo Fit thread, but sod it, in for a penny, in for a pound. Having been to MANY tuning garages around the country and dealt with some right tossers I can honestly say that Greg and Sam were a delight to visit no matter what was being done to my car at the time. The nature of the tuning game is that things will go wrong, people on this board seem to think that the world owes them something and like to whinge when things don't go 100% their way. If you want a reliable car, go by a new Type-R and only do breathing mods. Don't buy a bloody 13 year old car, double its HP and then expect it to last forever, all for a few grand.

Bah, I'm f**ked off now, got to find somewhere new to take my car for repairs. *Wanders round room looking for things to kick*

The nature of the tuning game is that things will go wrong, people on this board seem to think that the world owes them something and like to whinge when things don't go 100% their way.

Hold on fella, you pay your money, you expect a 100% service.

Most of the guys on this forum are not made of money so we expect something decent if people say they can do the job - final!!

Albert and Joe when above and beyond when it came to sorting my car out. Despite realising half way through the work that it had had a blow over at some point in it's past they still managed to match the paint perfectly. Red is not an easy colour to match, especially on a 9 year old car that has also had a blow over yet they got it right. Further more, they didn't charge any extra, a real rarity these days.

I've had work done on several cars I've owned over the years at various diferent places and I can honestly say that the fitment, colour match and quality of parts is excelent and I will definitely be using them again.

Oh, and I refrained from commenting on the Turbo Fit thread, but sod it, in for a penny, in for a pound. Having been to MANY tuning garages around the country and dealt with some right tossers I can honestly say that Greg and Sam were a delight to visit no matter what was being done to my car at the time. The nature of the tuning game is that things will go wrong, people on this board seem to think that the world owes them something and like to whinge when things don't go 100% their way. If you want a reliable car, go by a new Type-R and only do breathing mods. Don't buy a bloody 13 year old car, double its HP and then expect it to last forever, all for a few grand.

Bah, I'm f**ked off now, got to find somewhere new to take my car for repairs. *Wanders round room looking for things to kick*

:goodpost:

There is no such thing as a 100% tuned engine! Even the best built tuned engine in the world is still exceeding design tollerences. You cannot measure tuned engine reliability against standard engines. Car companies throw 100's of millions at developing engines and thats why they are reliable, even the best tuning companies work with an absolutely tiny fraction of that budget yet are expected to increase an engines output (of course they have trade offs such as noise and heat, but life expectancy is also one of them).

Put it like this, I can think of several instances where people have dropped serious cash at the bigger tuners in this country - 25k+ and had their engine blow up within a week and had absolutely no come back. Kind of puts TF into perspective in my mind.

There is no such thing as a 100% tuned engine! Even the best built tuned engine in the world is still exceeding design tollerences. You cannot measure tuned engine reliability against standard engines. Car companies throw 100's of millions at developing engines and thats why they are reliable, even the best tuning companies work with an absolutely tiny fraction of that budget yet are expected to increase an engines output (of course they have trade offs such as noise and heat, but life expectancy is also one of them).

Put it like this, I can think of several instances where people have dropped serious cash at the bigger tuners in this country - 25k+ and had their engine blow up within a week and had absolutely no come back. Kind of puts TF into perspective in my mind.

It's a very simplistic view. While I agree that increasing power decreases life expetancy, you can still do a good job and a bad job. For example - using a red bull can as a fluid overflow tank is crap, by anybody's standards.

Firstly please keep it on topic. That is why this new thread has been made and secondly, try being one of the people that have been conned out of thousand and thousands of pounds. I saved for 7 months and now need to find over 5 grand to get there fuck ups put right! I wish people would stop saying how nice they are, they fucked too many cars up!

Sorry about my language, talking about TF makes me angry.

have you read the TF thread and seen just how many people had serious problems with their work? Have you talked to any of the other tuners that have had to try and fix those problems? Have you talked to the technical people on the forum to understand just how obivous their failings were. Lovely people they were, knowedgeable tuners they were not.

You pay £25k and you are obviously pushing the boundaries of what a car will take. You pay £7k and you should expect an engine as strong as the 2jzgte to take it.

I run a 130,000 mile UK spec car. Its had 1.4bar on stock turbos, its had a single turbo for 3 years now and has not missed a beat. I had somebody do the work that knew what they were doing.

I have seen criticism of Knight Racer work and after the recent problems with TF Im happy to let this run as these sorts of issues need to be in the open and not hidden as they were with TF.

JB

You couldn't have picked a worse example. A redbull can, if properly secured, makes a perfectly adequate catch can! You could spend 200 quid on a wonderfully bling metal box, or you could spend that on getting the cars fueling properly sorted. Sure it won't make everyone go 'oooh' when you pop your bonnet at a show, but spending the money where it matters (especially when on a tight budget) is more important to me.

You couldn't have picked a worse example. A redbull can, if properly secured, makes a perfectly adequate catch can! You could spend 200 quid on a wonderfully bling metal box, or you could spend that on getting the cars fueling properly sorted. Sure it won't make everyone go 'oooh' when you pop your bonnet at a show, but spending the money where it matters (especially when on a tight budget) is more important to me.

fine then, how about a 2000 thousand pound clutch that was promised as only doing 4 runs on the strip and a run to ace cafe that now looks like the pics below.

Head to the dispute section and do a bit of research before you come here fighting someones corner that you obviously know nothing about.

Edit: Apologies for not being able to ignore this and let it stay on topic, im just still red raw about being ripped off

SNC10541(Small).JPG

SNC10548(Small).JPG

SNC10550(Small).JPG

SNC10551(Small).JPG

SNC10555(Small).JPG

Ok, sorry to drag this off topic. I read the thread, to be honest I found it quite painfull to read so many people patting each other on the back. A great many people have agenda's and have lost a huge amount of respect in my (and many other peoples) eyes over their relentless bickering and infighting. I find it so laughable, having read this board for many years, how much of a farce it has decended into recently.

This is going to sound pretty bad of me, but I will say that in my experience, that as Supra prices have dropped and they have become more affordable the owner demographic has changed. Not nessesarily for the worse, but now you can buy a TT for 6k, people expect you to be able to double its HP for another 6k. Sorry for the wake up call - but it isnt going to happen, maybe turbofit made promises they couldn't keep. But look at Jamie's car, that had the money thrown at it, and it runs perfectly.