The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Knightracer (and others)

boombastictiger

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to sound pretty bad of me, but I will say that in my experience, that as Supra prices have dropped and they have become more affordable the owner demographic has changed. Not nessesarily for the worse, but now you can buy a TT for 6k, people expect you to be able to double its HP for another 6k. Sorry for the wake up call - but it isnt going to happen, maybe turbofit made promises they couldn't keep. But look at Jamie's car, that had the money thrown at it, and it runs perfectly.

Seeing as my parts bill, purely for engine parts, fuel system and AEM was over 7K i dont think im really expecting a cheap build. There is not a single part on my car which is not an expensive well known make.

Right guys

The facts yes i was very very unhappy with my car thats the honest truth after putting so much blood and sweat into it fall at the last hurdle like that i was almost heart broken but as un happy as i have been with the result am as much pleased with Joe attitude towards it he sat down lisened to what i had to say had the painter come down and has agreed to rectify every thing on my list and has assured me the paint job will be second to none when completed

I trust Joe will do this he seems a man of his word and am looking forward to having it back.

Needless to say i will accept nothing but perfect which is what i asked for from day one so we will see

Ok, sorry to drag this off topic. I read the thread, to be honest I found it quite painfull to read so many people patting each other on the back. A great many people have agenda's and have lost a huge amount of respect in my (and many other peoples) eyes over their relentless bickering and infighting. I find it so laughable, having read this board for many years, how much of a farce it has decended into recently.

This is going to sound pretty bad of me, but I will say that in my experience, that as Supra prices have dropped and they have become more affordable the owner demographic has changed. Not nessesarily for the worse, but now you can buy a TT for 6k, people expect you to be able to double its HP for another 6k. Sorry for the wake up call - but it isnt going to happen, maybe turbofit made promises they couldn't keep. But look at Jamie's car, that had the money thrown at it, and it runs perfectly.

You sir, are an idiot.

apart from the dif's

and the crank oil seals, and the new engine...

MikkyB, I seriously think you need to talk to the traders that have had to fix the problems to really see what issues there were. I know of 1 car that was a gnats whisker away from becoming a fireball, others that have lost a crank or an engine due to their poor workmanship, another that could have blown all the electrics and probably taken the car out at the same time. I spend very little time in traders workshops and those are just the ones that have been sitting on the ramps being worked on.

Nothing has changed in how people expect their cars to be worked on. Doesnt matter how cheap they buy the car, they expect it to be modified properly and to run reliably. They do not expect a walking stick end to be stuck on the end of a pipe, or a broom handle to be stuck up a pipe to block it off. The Red Bull can is indicative of their level of workmanship and not something to be praised.

Can I ask what makes you an expert in gauging how good Turbofit were at what they did? I usually know all the members that have been here as long as you have but I dont recognise your name at all.

JB

this topic needs to get back on track... turbofit dont exist any more... end of. whats the point arguing?

I think the point is that even with ALL the evidence people still try to fight the corner for a trader that has been removed from the forum. That means that the technical people who try to put their point across see it as a waste of time and so we end up with the fanboi element winning the arguement and the problems get swept under the carpet.

I do agree this thread is about Knight Racer, lets not forget that if there are issues with a trader they need to be raised now so that Knight Racer can fix them before they go much further.

If MikkyB wants to rebuild the reputation of TF then a new thread would be the place to do that, so if we can keep this ontopic now please.

JB

I think the point is that even with ALL the evidence people still try to fight the corner for a trader that has been removed from the forum. That means that the technical people who try to put their point across see it as a waste of time and so we end up with the fanboi element winning the arguement and the problems get swept under the carpet.

I do agree this thread is about Knight Racer, lets not forget that if there are issues with a trader they need to be raised now so that Knight Racer can fix them before they go much further.

If MikkyB wants to rebuild the reputation of TF then a new thread would be the place to do that, so if we can keep this ontopic now please.

JB

Have to agree... Took so long for us to get decent feedback/responses from the likes of Matt Harwood, it would be a shame to head off down the same road, again.

My car was done by TF, anyone want to come and have a look? KR also did some bodywork, I am no expert, but it looks good to me. More than willing to have someone come have a look.

The thing that did annoy about KRs work, was the state of my car when I got it back. There was dust all over the engine bay, the interior of the car, there were drips of liquid polish everywhere, wheels, in the lines of the boot, etc. I was not happy with the state that the car was returned to me in. However I chose not to take that any further, as I considered it minor and they had done quite a bit to help me out.

My car was done by TF, anyone want to come and have a look? KR also did some bodywork, I am no expert, but it looks good to me. More than willing to have someone come have a look.

I didn't realise you'd had work done there too. There's 3 of the mods at the RR meet next week, so would be a good opportunity to see the quality of work on a customers car first hand :)

I didn't realise you'd had work done there too. There's 3 of the mods at the RR meet next week, so would be a good opportunity to see the quality of work on a customers car first hand :)

:rlol:

I have spoken to you on the phone a couple of times about it... Did you not put me with my username??? :D

I am actually a little nervous about the rolling road now... Might end up with a big bill at the end of it.... :Pling: Just quite honestly suprised its lasted this long :tongue:

Its good to know though... Welcom to have a look, just ignore my handy work on the front bumper. Would actually appreciate the opinions of some other more knowledgable members than myself (not that I am saying that I am knowledgable...:D)

:rlol:

I have spoken to you on the phone a couple of times about it... Did you not put me with my username??? :D

Erm, no! Are you sure we discussed Knight Racer!? I only recall the TF nightmare.

To be honest I've had so many phone calls and email conversions about the whole TF saga (easily over a hundred) the mentions of KR might have been forgotten...

This is all a little off topic from when I first wanted to post on the subject, but back to KR and GVN. Im currently one of the ones paying GVN 4k for my respray, and people who say a respray should cost around £1500 are asking for trouble, I wouldnt let anyone respray my car for that no matter how good they say it was. For a proper respray, windows out etc, you will be loooking at 3k all day long. The reason Im paying another 1k ontop of that is that Im having my rear arch repaired, quite a bit of work there, side skirts blended and door panels built up to blend in with the skirts. Rear arches rolled and flaired, and a few engine bay bits that are being sprayed, although this aint being charged for. New front and rear fitted also.

Personally I think 4k is very competative for the amount of work going on. And the fact that GVN said they would throw in the engine bay spray work for free as I am spending 4k with them to me shows they appreciate the amount of money Im spending.

I have been on this board for 5/6 years now, seen many people come and go, including traders and its only been within the last year or so that I have realised who to trust and who to not throw thousands at like I have in the past, only for someoone else to have to re-do the work at a later date, due to either poor quality parts, or bad workmanship.......

Envy (parts)

Phoenix (mechanics/tuning)

GVN (Body work)

CW (Suspension and setup)

The rest of them I just watch come and go............

This is all a little off topic from when I first wanted to post on the subject, but back to KR and GVN. Im currently one of the ones paying GVN 4k for my respray, and people who say a respray should cost around £1500 are asking for trouble, I wouldnt let anyone respray my car for that no matter how good they say it was. For a proper respray, windows out etc, you will be loooking at 3k all day long. The reason Im paying another 1k ontop of that is that Im having my rear arch repaired, quite a bit of work there, side skirts blended and door panels built up to blend in with the skirts. Rear arches rolled and flaired, and a few engine bay bits that are being sprayed, although this aint being charged for. New front and rear fitted also.

Personally I think 4k is very competative for the amount of work going on. And the fact that GVN said they would throw in the engine bay spray work for free as I am spending 4k with them to me shows they appreciate the amount of money Im spending.

I have been on this board for 5/6 years now, seen many people come and go, including traders and its only been within the last year or so that I have realised who to trust and who to not throw thousands at like I have in the past, only for someoone else to have to re-do the work at a later date, due to either poor quality parts, or bad workmanship.......

Envy (parts)

Phoenix (mechanics/tuning)

GVN (Body work)

CW (Suspension and setup)

The rest of them I just watch come and go............

Couldnt possibly agree more ;)

Couldn't agree with you more Ash.

I've been stung on bodywork (Dude) so appeciate that the extra £1k for the spray is well worth it. If I'd gone to GVN it would have been perfect instead of the mess I have to have completely redone now.

I don't always use Envy for parts (normally it's Nic), but when it's short notice orders they are my first choice and have always delivered when promised.

The thing that did annoy about KRs work, was the state of my car when I got it back. There was dust all over the engine bay, the interior of the car, there were drips of liquid polish everywhere, wheels, in the lines of the boot, etc. I was not happy with the state that the car was returned to me in. However I chose not to take that any further, as I considered it minor and they had done quite a bit to help me out.

mine came back in a state 2. stank of fiberglass and was coverd in dust. which isnt so easy to wipe out of cloth seats. and polish all over the place. But it just gave me an oportunity to give the car a good clean in and out. and ditto i just ignored it. they had done me a big favour also. albert even lent me his car for a day and refunded me a train fare as they needed the car for a day longer. my work also seems very good and would invite anyone to come take a look.

Yeah for standard OEM parts I have been using Nic as well, takes a few weeks, but he is way cheaper then Toyota UK.

I agree Darryl that yes maybe GVN are slightly over priced, but like you have found out, you can pay cheap prices if you shop around, but I would rather spend that little extra now and be done with it.