The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What car next?

fastphil666

I have been thinking of selling my supra this year, maybe enjoy the summer with it one last time.

The reason is....children.

I always buy cars to use them, my first child is 2 now and i tried her forward facing for the first time. Theres literally no space in the back for her, i always thought this was the case but hoped otherwise. Kid #2 is on the way so i fear the car will be used even less. 

Which leads me to the dilema, what car next? The supra is a dream car but at this time of my life its just not being used. I know if i sell, i'll never own another.

The shortlist at the mo, is civic fk8/2 (maybe not special enough) evo x, wrx sti import and maybe an e90 m3 if i can find one. The mo is manual, fun when i want but also easy enough to get kids in and out.

Love to hear your thoughts and idea's

personally after having an e92 m3 i'd avoid them. The maintenance cost is ridiculous (along with the mpg), half of them have been ragged within an inch of their life and they have common failures like rod bearings and throttle actuators which are costly. I'd go for the evo out of all of those, i don't know alot about them but it appears to still have the jap character, looks and speed.  I'd say the civic fk8/2 would be a downgrade imo

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts, i have owned an e92 m3 a few years back. I enjoyed it but like you say they have their faults (all cars seem to 🤔) id buy one that was sorted. Servicing is expensive if you want to maintain fsh, can diy for about a third the cost.

As the supra is a dream car, most cars will be a downgrade in most departments. 

• Like 1

I bought a Range Rover Vogue a few years back and love it. It goes anywhere and is so comfortable. Kids love the rear screens to play games or watch DVD's. They are reasonably quick too and you can pick up a L322 variant for not a lot of money. Love mine so much I'm busy stashing a car fund at the moment to replace it with a newer L405 SDV8 Vogue. Up to £35k set aside so not to much more needed for the age/mileage that I have in mind whereas, my L322 TDV8 is only worth around £6k but that's what I paid for it 4 years ago anyway.

Second hand prices are really over inflated at the moment so I'd recommend you put off a purchase for as long as you can because there has to be a big downturn coming in the near future to get back to historical depreciation trends which is definitely nothing like the large rises in all used car prices we have seen over the last 18-24 months.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Thanks rider for your thoughts, i should have clarified its still a toy im after. At the moment i cant attend cars and coffee or shows in my nice car because we cant fit (i like spendibg time with my wife and kid) I want that but on the odd occasion i want to hit an A road and enjoy it with mates still.

Anyone else think supra parts are getting ridiculous expensive, which kind of prohibits a good blast out.

I have a skoda superb estate for dad duties and long distance treks. 

E92 here. Maintenance costs haven't been bad. I've had throttle actuators go, but now they've been replaced should last the life of the car. Rod bearing issues are largely overstated, but is an issue if the car has been ragged when not warmed up. It's an easy check and preventative maintenance replace if you're concerned.

Other than that general expected stuff, discs and pads, front drop links, all reasonably cheap really. I get around 20mpg, which is around the same I was getting in the Supra.

I still find it a really nice car to drive, doesn't have the low down torque of the Supra, but rev it out and it just grips and goes. Still have no intentions of getting rid of it. There are indications prices are on the up for them, so get one now.

• Like 1

I removed the glove box on my last supra whivh gave a fair amount more room for my missus. My 2 year old sat behind. 

The other thought i had was removing the rear seats and fabricating a new base for the children's seats to mount to. very elaborate but having a workshop and very capable at fabrication and welding i thought it could work. 

• Like 1

RS4 B7 Avant / Saloon are my go to cars. I've had two and loved every min in them. They're quite spacious & are so fun to drive. Only down side is they are thirsty on fuel & I would advise getting one that's had a good service history & big ticket items checked such as DRC/ Oil cooler, carbon clean etc. Wouldn't get an e90/2 M3 as they're quite problematic. 

• Like 2

I got a 3 year old, don't mind the gearbox but the space in the back and how safe the vehicle is in a crash is what matters , supra being terrible for side impact.

I have thought about these: 997 911 onwards, jag xkrs, lexus ISF or RCF, M2/M3/M4. 

Possibly the 911 for me but I dread its maintenance costs. I can see us in a RCF

• Like 1

Thankyou all for your thoughts, 

R35 GTR, love these, ive driven a few and really rate them. I have also witnessed bills for tyres and brake discs pads! Sheesh! Wouldnt get one within budget.  

Rs4 b7 are a nice car, id have a saloon. My best mate used to own one, nice looking and sounding too. 

E92 m3, i used to own one. Thought it was brilliant and a lot of the common faults have been rectified now. Think the same as 996 911 and the ims bearing issue. Its high on my list to be honest. 

996 911, one id like to tick off my list but i cant see the rear legroom being an improvement on the supra. 

M2 looks a good car but an e92 m3 has that engine!!

Evo ix, they are pulling a premium right now, a week before race wars......no doubt a brillian car though. Best mate had a 550hp one, it was devastatingly fast. 

Mustang 5.0, sound great, look great, manual and a newish car for budget.

Vxr8, great engine but i think the chassis may let it down compared with the other cars listed.

I think with the supra gone, id have a budget of around 30k to spend.

On 3/11/2022 at 2:00 PM, Swampy442 said:

I will just say one thing, buy removing the manual box things opens up a lot more options, like the R35. I just dont understand it

I am not an anti auto guy, my supra is an auto and my daily a dsg. Id love an r35 but i cant afford one. Im hoping that the next car will stay a long while so id prefer a manual box when the world is turning to auto and electrification

1 hour ago, fastphil666 said:

I am not an anti auto guy, my supra is an auto and my daily a dsg. Id love an r35 but i cant afford one. Im hoping that the next car will stay a long while so id prefer a manual box when the world is turning to auto and electrification

I had two MKIVs both auto and loved them. Recently I bought a Nissan 370z and love the look, drives well and not slow, but I can't get used the the auto box!

At the moment it will be up for sale in the Spring and I'll be on the look out for a manual of some sort (370Z, Scooby / EvoX) sadly can't aford another Supra 😞 

PS... hello anybody who remembers me from ten years ago 🙂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gerry said:

I had two MKIVs both auto and loved them. Recently I bought a Nissan 370z and love the look, drives well and not slow, but I can't get used the the auto box!

At the moment it will be up for sale in the Spring and I'll be on the look out for a manual of some sort (370Z, Scooby / EvoX) sadly can't aford another Supra 😞 

PS... hello anybody who remembers me from ten years ago 🙂

My wife had a yellow 350z gt4, the manual box was very good in it. Id assume the 370z is similar. Id have one but need the 4 seats and more space than the supra offers. Ive looked at the newer scoobies but it seems the 2.5 isnt rated very highly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 10:17 PM, MrGRT said:

I got a 3 year old, don't mind the gearbox but the space in the back and how safe the vehicle is in a crash is what matters , supra being terrible for side impact.

I have thought about these: 997 911 onwards, jag xkrs, lexus ISF or RCF, M2/M3/M4. 

Possibly the 911 for me but I dread its maintenance costs. I can see us in a RCF

Oh yeah, i agree completely. My daily and my wifes car have rear facing axe kid seats. Really safe seats in safe cars. I suppose i have to aim for something more modern to get that safety level. Wonder how big an m4 is in the rear passenger area 🤔