The mkiv Supra Owners Club

F1 2021

Annabella

14 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

Given the performances of the 'number 2' drivers, a lockout isnt going to mean much. 

It all hinges on how dirty Max is prepared to be

I would agree on the RB side but Bottas is a proven race winner and has a few PP's under his belt this season too, I think a bigger factor is how much loyalty he has left for Lewis and Mercedes to really get his elbows out and block Max.

We could also see "a crash" in Q3 that would deny either side a final run to get pole position.

Everyone, from all teams have all agreed on one thing this season in that all they want is consistency. The safety car call was not consistent with any other race that preceded it. So on that basis and countless interviews, by their own opinion, Max and Horner have effectively agreed with Mercedes on their protest.

If this was any other race then that wouldn’t have happened and the race would have finished under a safety car. That should tell you everything you need to know about Massi’s decision.

• Like 1

Lewis was cruising to victory after a dominant drive, pumping in laps even with heavily worn tyres. It’s racing, safety cars happen and if this was something that would have happened before then I think Mercedes wouldn’t have had a leg to stand on. But to change the rules in a scenario that would decide the title is going to cause huge controversy and leave a black mark on the sport as a whole. The current rules are what Mercedes used to influence their decision making in the closing stages of the race, to change the rules on a whim again is going to cause uproar. No one is talking about Max winning, no one can celebrate. This can potentially drag on till Thursday before Max or Lewis is officially crowned champion as it is only provisional at this point.

It’s a sad day for the sport as what should have been a great day for either team is now turned into a legal battle, because one persons poor decision making at the most crucial moment of the season. I fully expect the FIA to be behind Massi as it would never throw one of its own under the bus even if they ultimately thought Massi was at fault.

If the protest is upheld, expect Massi to resign swiftly after.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tyson said:

Stewards have dismissed both protests and Mercedes have indicated they intend to appeal. As above it’s incredibly unlikely they will overturn the decision as they’d be calling their own integrity in to question which they obviously won’t do.

It's just a mess, caused by FIA, like last week telling Max to let Lewis pass, before telling Lewis. Simple stuff really. 

Don't think the end result could've been any worse to be honest (not Max winning, the way in which it finished). Even crash tactics would've been a better ending than the governing body making a complete fool of itself on what is definitely the most watched F1 race in history. Happy for Max and Red Bull as they never really did anything wrong, so can't fault them at all. They just appear to have had the title served to them on a plate.

The outcome is never going to be changed at this stage now. Mercedes chasing and protesting may at least lead to a shakeup in the FIA and bring some fundamental changes to the way things will be run next year.

I had to laugh at the Red Bull reasoning during discussions over the second issue Merc raised. Mercedes seemed to show up with a full lawsuit posse and Red Bull just sent in their own engineering team.

https://preview.redd.it/fubast95u5581.jpg?width=2481&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=b6827bd6805404fa97909664394b9004b4122662

Red Bull argued that:

1. "Any" does not mean "All".

Any literally means all in this case when it is followed with the instruction "shall", how did they get away with running with that one 😄

My thoughts on it:

Race control didn't want the race to end on a safety car one of the most hotly contested seasons.

Decided not to allow lapped cars overtake followed by deciding only cars between the two main title contenders could overtake to allow them to race.

Several of the drivers were asked before the race would they race them and they said no and they were very good at moving over when they came up behind. They would've moved aside rather than blast off when the race restarted and i think the outcome would've been the same. Race controls consistency and the teams whinging at them should be sorted and also make it a one way conversation during the race. DC on C4 said that and i totally agree.

3 hours ago, Dnk said:

Mercedes aren't taking it any further

Toto and Lewis boycotting the FIA award ceremony 

I read that this morning. I think they knew it would get thrown out anyway but they have gotten something out of it as the FIA are reviewing the race to tighten up the rules and provide more clarity to teams and drivers.

As for boycotting, not sure where I stand on that.

In my opinion, the FIA should review it as they are, take any grey areas out of the rules and Michael Masi should probably consider resigning.

Also they should make sure they go ahead with banning Team Principles from contacting the race director.

1 hour ago, Tyson said:

I read that this morning. I think they knew it would get thrown out anyway but they have gotten something out of it as the FIA are reviewing the race to tighten up the rules and provide more clarity to teams and drivers.

As for boycotting, not sure where I stand on that.

In my opinion, the FIA should review it as they are, take any grey areas out of the rules and Michael Masi should probably consider resigning.

Also they should make sure they go ahead with banning Team Principles from contacting the race director.

Absolutely with you on the team bosses badgering Masi, should never happen. 

There was never going to be any change in the results, and Im sure Mercedes knew that. Pursuing it was pointless really. Im sure Lewis and Max have had several chats about it and theyre both cool with it.

The FIA are a mess, F1 (the company) have too much input and control and that needs to stop. Massi's position is surely untenable now and he has to go. Max's first win will always be dogged with that farce, everyone will talk about the 2021 season for a long time to come.

And to boycott the ceremony, just petulant.

• Like 2

The way Wolff is carrying on you'd think he'd suffered some life changing event 

Its a car race not life or death like millions are dealing with every day

Not showing up to the awards says it all, if he quits and clears off I wont lose any sleep

over it, same goes for Hamilton.

Plenty of new drivers waiting to take his place 

2 hours ago, Dnk said:

The way Wolff is carrying on you'd think he'd suffered some life changing event 

Its a car race not life or death like millions are dealing with every day

Not showing up to the awards says it all, if he quits and clears off I wont lose any sleep

over it, same goes for Hamilton.

Plenty of new drivers waiting to take his place 

If I was Lewis or Toto I wouldn't be there either, screw that. The FIA hung them out to dry at the weekend and them asked them to be a good sport and come along to their awards ceremony...nope.

They've withdrawn their protest which shows them as being the opposite of petulant really. Can't wait to see Christian Horner wind them up about it all next season though.

I think they withdrew because they were never going to win

Will Max put #1 on his car ? that will really rub it in 

It will be a frosty paddock and wont take much to kick it off 

Quite looking forward to it. Really hope Russell brings his A game and gives his team mate ? some trouble along

with Max and as many others that can join the party

1 hour ago, Dnk said:

58 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

Could. Thats the important word. And if he is it only proves the FIA have lost their way. A fine yes, but a grid penalty for not attending a social function?

I don't believe anything unless it's on the official F1 streams. The amount of fake news and wild claims that came out around the last race was ridiculous, that aside, I wouldn't believe anything The Express wrote even if they told me tomorrow was Monday.

• Like 1