The mkiv Supra Owners Club

F1 2021

Annabella

39 minutes ago, Dnk said:

In a season of huge controversy I don't think the FIA is going to add further fuel to the fire. At most he will get a fine and even then, I think it will be Mercedes that get it as a team rather than individual ones for Toto and Lewis. But I don't think that will even happen, if everything being said is true then Lewis could just say he didn't come for health related reasons (mental health) and the FIA would be suicidal to argue/penalise.

The FIA are very aware they need to get their own house in order first, as I said before, Masi should really consider resigning after the absolute shit show of Abu Dhabi. The FIA launching a formal review into the last race with a view to tighten up the rules and provide the teams/drivers with more clarity is as close to an admission of guilt as you can get without actually admitting Masi screwed up.

A lot of people are confusing Masi's decision to rewrite the rule book with Max not deserving to be world champion. No-one (apart from a small few) is saying Max didn't perform a World Championship winning drive this season, both drivers and teams gave it everything. The crux of it is that, Masi effectively decided who was going to win the championship by changing the way in which the rules are interpreted on the closing laps of one of the closest fought seasons in the history of the sport.

Whilst I am ranting, all the people critising Perez for poor sportsmanship are just bitter, I would expect every team in the same position to do the same thing as this is a TEAM sport. I am a Hamilton supporter through and through, and I would have expected Mercedes to have done the same thing had the tables been reversed and for Red Bull to be the ones lodging complaints how the rules weren't followed and snubbing Gala's. Teams will always fight their corner whether they believe they are in the right or not.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tyson said:

In a season of huge controversy I don't think the FIA is going to add further fuel to the fire. At most he will get a fine and even then, I think it will be Mercedes that get it as a team rather than individual ones for Toto and Lewis. But I don't think that will even happen, if everything being said is true then Lewis could just say he didn't come for health related reasons (mental health) and the FIA would be suicidal to argue/penalise.

The FIA are very aware they need to get their own house in order first, as I said before, Masi should really consider resigning after the absolute shit show of Abu Dhabi. The FIA launching a formal review into the last race with a view to tighten up the rules and provide the teams/drivers with more clarity is as close to an admission of guilt as you can get without actually admitting Masi screwed up.

A lot of people are confusing Masi's decision to rewrite the rule book with Max not deserving to be world champion. No-one (apart from a small few) is saying Max didn't perform a World Championship winning drive this season, both drivers and teams gave it everything. The crux of it is that, Masi effectively decided who was going to win the championship by changing the way in which the rules are interpreted on the closing laps of one of the closest fought seasons in the history of the sport.

Whilst I am ranting, all the people critising Perez for poor sportsmanship are just bitter, I would expect every team in the same position to do the same thing as this is a TEAM sport. I am a Hamilton supporter through and through, and I would have expected Mercedes to have done the same thing had the tables been reversed and for Red Bull to be the ones lodging complaints how the rules weren't followed and snubbing Gala's. Teams will always fight their corner whether they believe they are in the right or not.

Agreed with most of the above. Perez did what Bottas wouldn't have been able to. Not sure about Masi, hope he'll learn from his mistakes. Not an easy job, also with the interference from the team radio, akin to the muppet footballers that surround and harangue the referee during a match, needs banning. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Annabella said:

Agreed with most of the above. Perez did what Bottas wouldn't have been able to. Not sure about Masi, hope he'll learn from his mistakes. Not an easy job, also with the interference from the team radio, akin to the muppet footballers that surround and harangue the referee during a match, needs banning. 

I see what you are saying but when someone makes a fundamental mistake, controversial decision etc then it is very hard for that person build up their integrity and to regain trust. So for the sport to move on and put this episode to bed, Masi in my eyes needs to go.

On 12/17/2021 at 4:21 PM, Dnk said:

I think they withdrew because they were never going to win

Will Max put #1 on his car ? that will really rub it in 

It will be a frosty paddock and wont take much to kick it off 

Quite looking forward to it. Really hope Russell brings his A game and gives his team mate ? some trouble along

with Max and as many others that can join the party

Max will be running #1 next year, they've already declared that. Not sure it bothers Merc too much as Hamilton has always run #44 anyway.

Rumours of Lewis retiring now as well as he has stated in the past he wants to start a family etc. I can't see him leaving now though, maybe if he'd won it but this fits his narrative to well to come back stronger

5 hours ago, Style said:

Max will be running #1 next year, they've already declared that. Not sure it bothers Merc too much as Hamilton has always run #44 anyway.

Rumours of Lewis retiring now as well as he has stated in the past he wants to start a family etc. I can't see him leaving now though, maybe if he'd won it but this fits his narrative to well to come back stronger

It will be interesting to see if Mercedes assert their dominance again next year with their story of focusing on next years car this season, otherwise they'll be called out for telling porkies.

I only hope the 2022 season will be as fun to watch as the closing stages of this season 🙂 

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2021 at 12:46 PM, Tyson said:

I see what you are saying but when someone makes a fundamental mistake, controversial decision etc then it is very hard for that person build up their integrity and to regain trust. So for the sport to move on and put this episode to bed, Masi in my eyes needs to go.

As of today Michael Masi is no longer race director, the right decision for the sport. And the unlapping procedure behind the safety car is undergoing a full review.

Edited by Tyson (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Moving on I'm quite looking forward to see if the pecking order has changed at all with all the changes. 

Really hope Its not just the same old story, fingers crossed McLaren Williams etc have narrowed the gap or pulled the rabbit 

out the hat and now have the car to beat 

I know I know lol