The mkiv Supra Owners Club

F1 2021

Annabella

Suprised this season no talk on here, it's the best season for being competitive for years!

How are we all seeing this season? Max to storm it from here on in? Merc going to backtrack on "we're concentrating on next years regulations"?

What about Llando, star in the making me thinks, and George Russell, unluckiest Williams driver ever?

I dont think it will be the best season, I think Red Bull may run away with it this year. I enjoyed last season as the races were always so unpredictable. 

I think Lando will feature as clearly he is getting to grips with the car, but the Ferrari's are never far away so I wouldnt say he will be miles out in front I think it will be a good fight between McLaren and Ferrari. 

George Russell, has had hismisfortunes but i think you only have to look at where he can take that Williams, they have clearly improved the car this year and George is making the most of it, in the general scheme of things that car wont finish in the top 10, howeverwith a couple of retirements and the right track i think he will get a point or 2 this year. Doesnt matter anyway as next year he will be a merc driver. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on the Sprint Race format? Ultimately it came to nothing so I think I'll need to see a few more before passing judgement.

Only glaring obvious problem for me is that we're given a no holds barred, flat out race format...but no one's interested in risking a pass as it carries consequences for the Sunday.

I'll also take this opportunity to weigh in on the moment everyone's talking about from the GP...racing incident, both at fault, move on.

8 minutes ago, Style said:

I'll also take this opportunity to weigh in on the moment everyone's talking about from the GP...racing incident, both at fault, move on.

Didnt have time to watch sprint race. 

The incident, it has been a long time coming and ultimately Hamilton didnt yeild, Another corner with another run off and the accident would of been different and i think the backlash less. From Hamiltons point of view it needed to be done as he had yielded one to many times and I dont think he wanted it to become the norm. 

• Like 1

Racing incident, Horner etc are forgetting Lewis yielding in two other races to Max.

Same as above I'll reserve judgement on the Sprint, although it's meaningless for anyone below 3rd, and helps the big teams and faster cars gain more points. Doesn't that defeat the object of mixing it up?

1 hour ago, Annabella said:

Racing incident, Horner etc are forgetting Lewis yielding in two other races to Max.

Same as above I'll reserve judgement on the Sprint, although it's meaningless for anyone below 3rd, and helps the big teams and faster cars gain more points. Doesn't that defeat the object of mixing it up?

Yeah I think it's still missing something as it's more of the same really. Few beers into discussing it with my old man and we'd dreamt up going back to allocated flying laps for quali with the sprint race dictating the order. Sprint race to also be run as a reverse grid from the previous race results (point scorers reversed only to stop tanking to last)...or something like that 😁

Racing incident for me, both could have done more to avoid a crash. But the first half lap of that race is the most exciting thing we have seen all season, if they start clamping down on wheel to wheel racing it will just get boring again. We obviously don't want crashes and people getting injured but it's motorsport so there is always going to be contact and accidents.

• Like 1

Irrespective whose fault it was my big gripe is why didn't Max and Red Bull for that matter not pay attention to the big picture.It was obvious from the sprint race the Merc,s were quick and that Lewis wanting to impress the home fans would go for it.The smart move would have been to let him go on the first lap and if later undercut wasn't possible settle for a nice easy second place with minimal points loss and no wrecked car.They could have just have cost themselves the championship.

It's a bit sad mind you if either of them go out there is no race.

8 hours ago, formatzero said:

Irrespective whose fault it was my big gripe is why didn't Max and Red Bull for that matter not pay attention to the big picture.It was obvious from the sprint race the Merc,s were quick and that Lewis wanting to impress the home fans would go for it.The smart move would have been to let him go on the first lap and if later undercut wasn't possible settle for a nice easy second place with minimal points loss and no wrecked car.They could have just have cost themselves the championship.

It's a bit sad mind you if either of them go out there is no race.

I reckon this is as close as Merc will get to Red Bull this season. Happy to be corrected, but Red Bull seem to have the better car overall and Merc have stated they're not putting any development work into this car...which can be taken with a pinch of salt I guess.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:06 PM, Swampy442 said:

Reverse grid is a recipe for some major crashes lol. Can you imagine Mazepin or Shumacher leading a race?? 🙀

Bring it on I say! 🤣 Schumacher isn't too bad but Mazespin has no business being in F1 IMO. Sooner he's out, the better

1 hour ago, Style said:

I reckon this is as close as Merc will get to Red Bull this season. Happy to be corrected, but Red Bull seem to have the better car overall and Merc have stated they're not putting any development work into this car...which can be taken with a pinch of salt I guess.

Bring it on I say! 🤣 Schumacher isn't too bad but Mazespin has no business being in F1 IMO. Sooner he's out, the better

I agree and disagree 😄 In terms of out and out pace, completely agree with you there. Merc are looking at the bigger picture and the future with the significant changes coming in 2022, focusing their development there. Whilst RB are having a good season this year, expect them to be back to second best next year when they are behind the game in terms of development for the new cars. The difference in pace is huge compared to the previous year, anyone who thinks that Merc are bluffing is only kidding themselves, 1 years development does not give you that much pace advantage over a car that has been easily dominant the entire turbo hybrid era.

Where I disagree with you is that this is a team sport, having 2 drivers working together at the front has proven time and again a winning formula. Perez is good, but he makes mistakes, so does Bottas but he is a better driver and Merc can bring strategy into winning the race removing the pace deficit. Perfect example is Silverstone, if Bottas hadn't of played the team game it would have been an easy with for Ferrari.

4 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

Ive said a few times, Max won't win the championship this year because he still has an error in him, 2 DNFs this year, which is entirely possible, is a chunk of points and Lewis/Merc hardly ever make a mistake

Well Max's first DNF wasn't really down to him and Lewis then made an error which lost them 25 points. Agreed Max still has a ways to go in being consistent, but the car is far superior this year. It'll all come down to how competitive Mercedes can be as that's when Max gets caught up in these racing incidents (which 95% of the time seem to involve him).

3 hours ago, Tyson said:

I agree and disagree 😄 In terms of out and out pace, completely agree with you there. Merc are looking at the bigger picture and the future with the significant changes coming in 2022, focusing their development there. Whilst RB are having a good season this year, expect them to be back to second best next year when they are behind the game in terms of development for the new cars. The difference in pace is huge compared to the previous year, anyone who thinks that Merc are bluffing is only kidding themselves, 1 years development does not give you that much pace advantage over a car that has been easily dominant the entire turbo hybrid era.

Where I disagree with you is that this is a team sport, having 2 drivers working together at the front has proven time and again a winning formula. Perez is good, but he makes mistakes, so does Bottas but he is a better driver and Merc can bring strategy into winning the race removing the pace deficit. Perfect example is Silverstone, if Bottas hadn't of played the team game it would have been an easy with for Ferrari.

I'd agree with you there with regards to team play...but you need to get in front of Max first to apply any sort of strategy. If he's putting the car on pole and getting out of turn 1 with a clean nose, he's either gone or RB undercut the pit stops which has left Mercedes scratching their heads a few times now.

Did enjoy Mercedes sending Valtteri alongside Lewis to check his car for damage during the safety car stint...genius

I'm pretty confident that Mercedes will at least win the constructors

Edited by Style (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Sprint I felt was a waste of time as they didn’t want to risk there place and damaging the car for sunday

just look what happened to Perez’s ,felt was a money maker to get more people for all 3days

I was cheering on lando and Russel , the atmosfear was electric when ever they passed

looking forward to Hungary before summer break 

hamilton and max just brings back memory’s of  senna and Prost battles

It was a great albeit slightly odd one! Ocon drove fantastically but he completely owes the win to Alonso, if he had released Hamilton 2 laps earlier he would have breezed past Vettel and Ocon on fresher, better tyres. He took 5 seconds out of Vettel on the last lap alone! Highlight for me though as above is George getting into the points, even willing to throw it all away to get Latiffi on the podium or further up the field. With the field tightening up, playing the team game is going to be increasingly needed for the constructors championship.

My honest opinion now is that Bottas is done at Mercedes, I'd be highly surprised if we don't see George in his seat next year and Bottas to Williams.

10 minutes ago, Tyson said:

Every accident is a huge dent in the teams budget, especially for Red Bull. It's also cost them an engine for Perez too.

Yup, on top of the cost to MV's car and the Silverstone bill 

Piss pour driving by Bottas, trying to get back all he'd lost in one hit, pardon the pun