The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA ITB Build - I've gone rogue

Eightdip

12 hours ago, Eightdip said:

I think it would pass to be honest, but I'm getting a baffle just in case

Get an exhaust control valve. Everyone gets excited over a bung. But OEMs use technology to sort it.

I love mine. Actually adding a bypass into a baffle when it's closed. Lots of work that though. But valve on its own does help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noz said:

Get an exhaust control valve. Everyone gets excited over a bung. But OEMs use technology to sort it.

I love mine. Actually adding a bypass into a baffle when it's closed. Lots of work that though. But valve on its own does help.

I did think about this, will have a chat with my exhuast guy and see what can be done, he needs to properly sort out the manifold/exhaust join anyway so whilst he's at it...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Big Supes said:

Car sounds great. Love it. 👌

Thanks mate!!

20 hours ago, Frank Bullitt said:

If the capital has gone that is what loans are for, cards too! Failing that beg, borrow & steal. It is an investment after all. Must be a good feeling to be where you are now with her.

Ha I've already convinced myself that I was spending the appreciation on the car to do the ITBs. Yeah super happy! Even just doing something not many people have done is really satisfying. I'll drive it for a while as is and see if I'm craving more power, then see how I feel. I'd be tempted to go full send on NA and do bottom end stuff as well as port and polish etc, there's definitely more gains there!

18 hours ago, Herb said:

When thinking about a supercharger… have you actually thought about creating a plenum around the throttle bodies? I don‘t know if that would be even possible due to tight space?

I think the space is just too tight around the bulkhead end unfortunately, it's tight enough just getting a sock on there

I polished my throttle body (there's a lip on the inside) and the Y branch. This is really nasty. It's worth doing the Y branch and hitting the dyno.

I sold it to Herb I think. Sure he said he had better mid range just off that. Without even doing the head.

The only thing on the bottom end I would do. Is a self build with a stroker crank. Otherwise I cant see there being any benefit performance or for longevity. Assuming no issues calling for work to be done on it.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 1:11 PM, Noz said:

I polished my throttle body (there's a lip on the inside) and the Y branch. This is really nasty. It's worth doing the Y branch and hitting the dyno.

I sold it to Herb I think. Sure he said he had better mid range just off that. Without even doing the head.

The only thing on the bottom end I would do. Is a self build with a stroker crank. Otherwise I cant see there being any benefit performance or for longevity. Assuming no issues calling for work to be done on it.

When you say Y branch do you mean the inlet? If so I obviously don’t have any of that anymore so there’s no gains to be had there 😂

I guess an ultimate goal would be 100hp per litre NA, so to get to that 300hp mark, but that might be a little too difficult, you never know though, maybe someday!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Mike2JZ said:

Nice video, nice to know how much it costs. I don't think thats a bad investment given how unique this car is now. Think I'd prefer this over an ebay spec NA-T

I just wanted a bit of transparancy really, there's already a lack of information out there about ITB conversions, which is the main reason I started this thread and even the channel, but there's even less info on how much it'll actually cost. I thought this would all serve to put people off the idea but if anything most of the comments on the channel are people looking to try it themselves!

4 hours ago, Herb said:

Nice info - thanks for the transparency!

The sound clip (fly by) at the very beginning of the video is just absolutely glorious. No turbo car can do that for me (no offense here - just personal preference).

Thanks Herb! Yeah that shot really does show off the sound so well, it's borderline too loud for the mic haha

• 3 months later...

Long awaited update! 

Took the Supra in to SRD to be fettled by the man, the myth, the legend @mike2jz 

The lads balanced the throttle bodies, and Mike generally worked his magic to eventually get 245whp, which could make it the most powerful NA Supra in the UK? Low bar I know but still a cool clickbait title nonetheless...

It was crazy to know how much power the filter socks actually sap, looks like I do indeed need a new solution for filtration!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mattdavies said:

Watched this video last night. Its a great build. 

How does it drive after being at SRD ? 

Maybe look at the BMW E45 M3 style airbox or similar for ideas 

Cheers Matt! It seems so much more refined now after the guys did their magic, before it felt a little lumpy in general which I assumed was down to the cams but was likely the bodies out of balance and everything that Mike worked on ecu wise. Genuinely feels like there's more power through the rev range too which is always good

Yeah think a custom airbox is going to be the way to go eventually, which seems a shame as it would hide the bodies!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Noz said:

Great video. Also great to see the Mike making a lead appearance.

I've never seen an NA with more HP. Look forward to see more updates.

Would love a video on feedback how it drives now.

Thanks Noz! The only one I've seen with more is Brendan Taft's in the US that makes about 280hp, presumably at the wheels as that has head work, equal length custom manifold and runs on E85

Driving video will be next up, don't want to give everything away at once 😛 keep the people coming back for more!