The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Diesel & Petrol Vehicles To Be Banned From 2040 In The UK

Frank Bullitt

What if you're only on that road for one junction or for 600 miles?

I'd imagine it would be easy enough to do, just like the tolls in europe can be paid for electronically using the

device you stick in your windscreen

https://www.tolltickets.com/default.aspx?lang=en-GB&mnu=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--DLBRCNARIsAFIwR25wlkMSeEFAW8X1qf1LSfXPRxpPSEbnSW2w7t2oe8wWWg2yx4jxPRcaAh2BEALw_wcB

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine it would be easy enough to do, just like the tolls in europe can be paid for electronically using the

device you stick in your windscreen

So a toll lane just for electric cars?

With electricity constantly being put through.

I wonder what the long term affects are on humans with this.

So a toll lane just for electric cars?

With electricity constantly being put through.

I wonder what the long term affects are on humans with this.

No different to the eurotunnel or other electric trains i'd imagine, god knows what long term effects are

One thing is for certain, owners of classic cars will need to prepare them to run on high alcohol fuels. One thing uncertain is how this will affect e-type values in 20 years time. I think old classics will largely fall and fade into the curio section as those who had them or viewed them in their youth die out.

I have already considered buying an electric run around car but waiting till the run of the mill ones can run on a 350+ mile range so you don't have to think about recharging it each and every time you use it. they will be a god send to law enforcement, all wifi linked to Police and DVLA and instantly disabled by frazzle EMR gun or remotely over Bluetooth. Car chases will be a thing of the past. Speeding will be a thing of the past. Road deaths will likely increase because no one hears them coming.

I'd of thought the priority will be more charging stations first at all the obvious places such as motorway services, any local journeys

you'd easily cover from charging at home

I agree but it wouldn't surprise me (as your link) heavy duty vehicles would need a bit more juice to get them up and down the country

The government made something like £13 billion on fuel taxes last year. I know they've got 20+ years to get everything in place before production of fossil fuel cars stop, but I really can't see it happening

There will still be the fuel tax on all the petrol diesel cars still on the rd , they're just not making new ones

Can only go on what he's told me and he's not a bullshitter as far as i know

Solar panels work off light so as long as its clear then he makes his own electric, but after reading the below

it appears he will still make his own power even on crappy cloudy days

Worth a read

http://www.directenergysolar.com/blog/will-my-solar-panels-work-when-its-cloudy-or-rainy/

will have a gander, I just don't see a car charging, TV and cooker on etc of an evening being covering by the panels, but then perhaps that usage/cost is offset by the hours when no one is home and he is giving back to the system....

will have a gander, I just don't see a car charging, TV and cooker on etc of an evening being covering by the panels, but then perhaps that usage/cost is offset by the hours when no one is home and he is giving back to the system....

He has got quite a large area of roof covered in panels which from what i've been reading makes it viable, he has got a bigger than average house with

a lot of square footage roofwise which i think he's planning on adding more panels too in the very near future

It's easy enough to announce things when the people announcing them will all have died of old age or retired by the time they come to pass. Though I don't doubt that by 2040 cars won't be made in petrol versions anyway.

Cars plug into our power grid. So more strain goes on the grid. The grid could go pop, I mean they have to pump an incredible amount of power in at breaks of eastenders or big national events just to couple with the spike load.

Any ways electric car's at the moment are terrible and expensive for the ones that are OK. (Like the tesla)

Hopefully technology will come leaps and bounds as incredible haven't even mentioned the battery's all that discharge and recharge will eventually ruin theoneshatheeslahe battery meaning a lot less charge in credit stored meaning your have to pay a lot of money for a replacement.

And the final dislike to electric cars is that they don't make any amazing engine noise. One of the biggest smiles I get from the supra is the noise of it. If it had a electric motor I'd still like the body lines and performance/fuel economy if it has a long range but would have no passion for it. Would feel like it doesn't have a sole.

He has got quite a large area of roof covered in panels which from what i've been reading makes it viable, he has got a bigger than average house with

a lot of square footage roofwise which i think he's planning on adding more panels too in the very near future

It does makes a lot of difference whether it is sunny or not. I can hear my invertor buzzing nicely when the sun is out and silent when it goes in during the summer. Generation over winter is rubbish. Hardly enough to power a tv and heat the hot water but it is enough to trickle charge the Supra for free.

Here's a couple of generation graphs for my "average sized 3 bed semi" 3.5kwp system to give an idea of panel performance. In this July month you can spot sunny days and dull days.

Given another 23 years - its highly likely that electric motor technology will have advanced and hydrogen cell technology - small hydrogen cells will allow fill ups around the country , exactly like petrol today , using maybe 5 or 10 kg of hydrogen for 500 miles or so and the motors capable of providing unlimited torque , enough torque to pull the tyres off the rims !!!!

Maybe add a small battery set for even more torque , so normal drivng under hydrogen and if you wanted say 2000 ft lb of torque for overtaking - there it is in an instant - after use ,the batteries recharge as you drive .they will be mental fast if you want them to be

Any advances in superconductivity would simply make them faster and lighter again ......

If manufacturers are forced to make electric cars , the technology will only grow at a faster pace