The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Diesel & Petrol Vehicles To Be Banned From 2040 In The UK

Frank Bullitt

Hydrogen is acquired by electrolysis ie electricity - so why not miss out the hydrogen step altogether and use a battery?

Diesel engines can be easily converted to run on liquid methanol. You get methanol from natural gas of which there is LOTS.

Include an additive to the methanol - which is readily available - and there you have it, low emissions 'diesel' engine. It's already being used https://www.avocetinfiniteplc.com/fuel-avocet-additive

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of hydrogen is from natural gas , electrolysis only 4 % of production - Batteries mean weight and recharging , not having pistons and complex mechanical parts that wear and break or generating heat to produce motive force give a reliabilty and efficiency benefit -there is no reason a motor could not run 10 million miles , magnetic bearings:brushless and so forth. no noise , low vibration and a torque curve that is more or less vertical then horizontal and infinitely variable .

Motors in wheel keeps the weight distribution spread and center of gravity low - heavy battery installation is a current issue with elec cars .

If you self drive is another question , of course a drone type system would outdrive anyone - safety or fun ?

Lol at the nuclear fusion in cars. Nobody is even close to getting a working power station, let alone having a superconducting tokamak inside a car.

You could however use waste heat from a gas cooled fast reactor to make hydrogen, but that would still be 20+ years away if we built a new fleet of them now. I don't think hydrogen fuel cells are the way forward, simply because of the conversion efficiency from source to use is too low. Bacteria produced biofuels looked like a good idea to me, but I don't know enough about them to say confidently whether we'd be able to scale them up cheaply enough to run an economy on them. Electricity however is already available, the obvious solution to me would be to put regulations in place for generic battery designs and hot swap them at fuel stations, rather than wait for your car to charge. Same "in and out" procedure as filling up with petrol and you've always got the fall back of recharging your own car when you're at home/staying somewhere.

Lol at the nuclear fusion in cars. Nobody is even close to getting a working power station, let alone having a superconducting tokamak inside a car.

Pretty sure he meant a working power station and hence lots of electricity available for charging cars.......not a reactor in a car!

So far whilst cleaner at the car point everything is still based to serious hydrocarbon consumption at some point in the chain. So increased efficiency and control on how clean things are but still heavy reliance on oil.

You could however use waste heat from a gas cooled fast reactor to make hydrogen, but that would still be 20+ years away if we built a new fleet of them now. I don't think hydrogen fuel cells are the way forward, simply because of the conversion efficiency from source to use is too low. Bacteria produced biofuels looked like a good idea to me, but I don't know enough about them to say confidently whether we'd be able to scale them up cheaply enough to run an economy on them. Electricity however is already available, the obvious solution to me would be to put regulations in place for generic battery designs and hot swap them at fuel stations, rather than wait for your car to charge. Same "in and out" procedure as filling up with petrol and you've always got the fall back of recharging your own car when you're at home/staying somewhere.

You must have been hallucinating.

Maybe you'd been watching this before you read my post. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GZgYlMekEU :D

Have seen that induction charging is being tested at the moment,with talk of it being used in cities first,however a lot of digging will be required !Also saw that Honda Clarity hydrogen car has arrived in the U.K. to be leased by invitation only.Think when the lower priced Tesla model 3 arrives it could shake things up a bit.They are also apparently planning to be the worlds biggest producer of lithium-ion battaries.

Electricity however is already available, the obvious solution to me would be to put regulations in place for generic battery designs and hot swap them at fuel stations, rather than wait for your car to charge. Same "in and out" procedure as filling up with petrol and you've always got the fall back of recharging your own car when you're at home/staying somewhere.

This I like!

Could actually be viable at some point in the future if we are to maintain using electric cars powered by the grid.

Will obviously need to be small and light enough for everyone to be able to change the batteries.

Have seen that induction charging is being tested at the moment,with talk of it being used in cities first,however a lot of digging will be required !Also saw that Honda Clarity hydrogen car has arrived in the U.K. to be leased by invitation only.Think when the lower priced Tesla model 3 arrives it could shake things up a bit.They are also apparently planning to be the worlds biggest producer of lithium-ion battaries.

I have noticed that too, I don't think induction charging is the way to go, especially when people realise the amount of wasted electricity there is.

Plus all the dangers.