The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello :)

Guest Becky

Oh wow... i wasnt expecting that! why did you decide to go back to standard if you dont mind me asking? :) I think for those prices i would rather save up that have to spend all that :( unless i come across some that are well known to be reliable etc? :) x

Sorry I worded that badly I ment to a standard I'm happy with not reverting back to oem. My car was in great mechanical condition all be it a little tatty when I purchased it, but simple things like a water pump leaking led me to spending far more as I have a 'while your there I may aswell do this...' mentality and imo with a car as high powered, sort after and old as a supra you need to think that way. I know plenty will disagree but I'm just putting in my 2pence worth.

They are great cars and I'm not trying to put you off just keep in mind they are around 20 years old so maintenence is key, and even if you find a cherished car I'd still account for around a minimum of 1k a year just to keep it well maintained.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also in the same boat as you i think Becky. Shawn has 'turned me to the jap side' of things. I will be getting mine on finance or a bank loan. But id feel comfortable doing SOME work on my car. and a cheap mechanical friend for the rest. From what shawn has told me, NA is for looks and reliability, Single turbo for power. Double - im not too sure about. But for me its just if i want to make the jump to a supra. its either that or a Audi s5 for me! (no hate on me please guys haha)

Guest Becky
Sorry I worded that badly I ment to a standard I'm happy with not reverting back to oem. My car was in great mechanical condition all be it a little tatty when I purchased it, but simple things like a water pump leaking led me to spending far more as I have a 'while your there I may aswell do this...' mentality and imo with a car as high powered, sort after and old as a supra you need to think that way. I know plenty will disagree but I'm just putting in my 2pence worth.

They are great cars and I'm not trying to put you off just keep in mind they are around 20 years old so maintenence is key, and even if you find a cherished car I'd still account for around a minimum of 1k a year just to keep it well maintained.

/QUOTE]

Well thank you! if you ever sell up let me know... ill make you an offer nowhere near what its worth... ;) haha im joking. i wouldn't want to spend much past £15k but they dont ever drop in value (which is good your an owner!

Guest Becky
I am also in the same boat as you i think Becky. Shawn has 'turned me to the jap side' of things. I will be getting mine on finance or a bank loan. But id feel comfortable doing SOME work on my car. and a cheap mechanical friend for the rest. From what shawn has told me, NA is for looks and reliability, Single turbo for power. Double - im not too sure about. But for me its just if i want to make the jump to a supra. its either that or a Audi s5 for me! (no hate on me please guys haha)

Supras are hot! Audis look nice too though :)

Re above this is why condition is so important.

A fair amount of the issues (particularly the expensive ones) above are turbo specific. An NA is very unlikely to break you financially, but then it doesn't have the wow factor as far as power goes.

Definitely spend time looking and be prepared to travel, there are a few lemons out there both private and dealer ones.

I've wanted a Supra since I could walk and being a petrolhead went to for twin turbo which I picked up last May. I buy and sell cars on the side so knew what to look out for with the help of a few guides on here and got a good car for a really good price.

Even so in the last 15 months I have replaced many ageing parts, and a few mods (exhaust, fuel pump, fcd and boost controller is on order which should be around the 380-400bhp) which is plentiful! Then if they blow I'll just go single turbo aiming for 500-550bhp :)

Paintwork is another area to keep your eyes peeled on, no matter how shiny it is on top the underside/arches will need attention unless it has been treated.

If you just want the looks and aura of driving a Supra then get a non-turbo, but if you like your turbos and boooooost then get a TT or single turbo (400bhp+).

Edited by AC93 (see edit history)

Paintwork is another area to keep your eyes peeled on, no matter how shiny it is on top the underside/arches will need attention unless it has been treated.

Definitely this, especially the jacking points. If the sills are all bent up and mangled it's going to be very rusty soon or already as they trap the road salt inside the creases. Mine's going to the garage for this soon - get it protected before winter comes around.

Guest Becky
Re above this is why condition is so important.

A fair amount of the issues (particularly the expensive ones) above are turbo specific. An NA is very unlikely to break you financially, but then it doesn't have the wow factor as far as power goes.

Yeah i guess that makes sense. Can you non turbo ones be made any faster? 200bhp is more than what im used to as im used to smaller cars. with much smaller engines :)

Guest Becky
Definitely spend time looking and be prepared to travel, there are a few lemons out there both private and dealer ones.

I've wanted a Supra since I could walk and being a petrolhead went to for twin turbo which I picked up last May. I buy and sell cars on the side so knew what to look out for with the help of a few guides on here and got a good car for a really good price.

Even so in the last 15 months I have replaced many ageing parts, and a few mods (exhaust, fuel pump, fcd and boost controller is on order which should be around the 380-400bhp) which is plentiful! Then if they blow I'll just go single turbo aiming for 500-550bhp :)

If you just want the looks and aura of driving a Supra then get a non-turbo, but if you like your turbos and boooooost then get a TT or single turbo (400bhp+).

Wow i bet yours will be really scary to drive!

Do you know if the automatic or manuals are better? ive never driven an automatic before :innocent:

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely this, especially the jacking points. If the sills are all bent up and mangled it's going to be very rusty soon or already as they trap the road salt inside the creases. Mine's going to the garage for this soon - get it protected before winter comes around.

Okay thank you. I will be sure to check underneath the car! :)

Guest Becky
:hello: as said above, depends on what you can save, prices are cheaper in autumn..... What cars are you already used to? Na sup isnt a slouch. :tongue:

well i dont mind taking a loan and getting one that costs a fair amount, but id need to be sure it was reliable (i know you can never be 100% sure but i dont want to buy really rough looking one) :) im used to just driving small tdis and small engine cars (nothing past 200bhp) so any supra will be a fair jump for me! what power is yours? are they 200bhp standard? :)

Yeah i guess that makes sense. Can you non turbo ones be made any faster? 200bhp is more than what im used to as im used to smaller cars. with much smaller engines :)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can turbo NA cars by using a turbo kit such as this: - http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota/supra/turbo-upgrades/turbo-kits/garage-whifbitz-2370.html

With other supporting mods too of course.

Good luck with your search. It gets pretty exciting but take your time.

Wow i bet yours will be really scary to drive!

Do you know if the automatic or manuals are better? ive never driven an automatic before :innocent:

- - - Updated - - -

Okay thank you. I will be sure to check underneath the car! :)

The supra has a great automatic gearbox !! So don't listen to anyone who says they are not until you have driven one for yourself and then make your own decision. The same can be said about manuals, people say the getrag box is not very nice to drive due to its agricultural feel but I love my manual and would definitely buy it again if I was given the choice. So to sum up try both and make your own decision :)

well i dont mind taking a loan and getting one that costs a fair amount, but id need to be sure it was reliable (i know you can never be 100% sure but i dont want to buy really rough looking one) :) im used to just driving small tdis and small engine cars (nothing past 200bhp) so any supra will be a fair jump for me! what power is yours? are they 200bhp standard? :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?59334-Supra-Guide-and-Model-Differences-Chart

Before buying i'd get yourself along to a local meet and go in both at least a bpu TT and stock NA, i think once you go in a 400 hp TT you'll know what you want :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

If you're wanting to stay below 5k dont go in a turbo. You'll be spoilt then. As above the auto box is fab, manual mode is great for spirited driving :) Na are around 220bhp, prob 180-200 at the wheels, manufacturers always quote at the flywheel btw. Go out in an Na see if you enjoy it at redline.

Guest DustySE95

Dusty here, hello everyone, just bought a Black 95 SE, N/A auto, couldn't be happier with her. Flew out to California picked her up and drove her home to Texas, even having 188000 did not give me any problems whatsoever. Anyhow, I'm going to be straight up honest, it needs work, I have prospected the idea of modifying it but call me what me what you will but I think its going to remain bone stock. for starters, anyone have the OEM air cleaner front?, it is missing lol

Dusty here, hello everyone, just bought a Black 95 SE, N/A auto, couldn't be happier with her. Flew out to California picked her up and drove her home to Texas, even having 188000 did not give me any problems whatsoever. Anyhow, I'm going to be straight up honest, it needs work, I have prospected the idea of modifying it but call me what me what you will but I think its going to remain bone stock. for starters, anyone have the OEM air cleaner front?, it is missing lol

:welcome: Perhaps start your own thread