The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why on earth would you buy a Supra?

marc_p

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the Supra is both beautiful and iconic, and affordable enough to sample the different factory variants.

One big draw to Supra ownership for me personally, is the community and the people you meet from all walks, although sometimes that can be a bad thing also :D.

I will probably move on to a Porsche in the years ahead, really like the 997 Turbo, but with a young family and the wife's ideas of where the money should go, perhaps that's a long term goal.

I'm now sitting here with a smile as I see our cars begin to appreciate, know I've got the car I wanted.

At the lower price range and in the (very) used market I have a silver RZ auto, these seem to be nudging up towards £10K and ISF's are coming down to £14K, to me that seems very attractive. The ISF has nearly 10 years on has no inherent flaws so seems well made, has a stock TT beaten all ends up i'd imagine?

The RCF as the other post mentioned start at £40k second hand. Fair enough the ISF is a great car too and coming down in price, even lower than TT6s in some cases but that's only BPU level power and again suffers in the looks department. Obviously very subjective though :D

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

The RCF as the other post mentioned start at £40k second hand. Fair enough the ISF is a great car too and coming down in price, even lower than TT6s in some cases but that's only BPU level power and again suffers in the looks department. Obviously very subjective though :D

BPU is enough for most of us really, the big singles area is mega money or frequent hassle and to my naturally careful (tight!) nature doesn't make sense financially or even practical sense. I get the look thing it's not an ugly car to me but it is 'just' an IS250 saloon at the end of the day and in no way iconic, more like a modern day Aristo I spose (which IMO is no bad thing!)

In reality I'm can't see me moving away from Supra ownership, the ISF is just something on the radar as being a forgotten/bargain performance package. In years to come though as all high powered cars drift towards £140 tax (with none on a harsh/high level) I can see the demand for old ISF etc with the old £515 tax (for a few thousands miles a year use) decreasing like, RX8's (these I know are hampered also by engine issues but the high tax takes away even the DIY tinkers want away imo)

BPU is enough for most of us really, the big singles area is mega money or frequent hassle and to my naturally careful (tight!) nature doesn't make sense financially or even practical sense. I get the look thing it's not an ugly car to me but it is 'just' an IS250 saloon at the end of the day and in no way iconic, more like a modern day Aristo I spose (which IMO is no bad thing!)

In reality I'm can't see me moving away from Supra ownership, the ISF is just something on the radar as being a forgotten/bargain performance package. In years to come though as all high powered cars drift towards £140 tax (with none on a harsh/high level) I can see the demand for old ISF etc with the old £515 tax (for a few thousands miles a year use) decreasing like, RX8's (these I know are hampered also by engine issues but the high tax takes away even the DIY tinkers want away imo)

Yea don't get me wrong I love how fast BPU is and I'm more than happy with it. I just meant in terms of getting rid of the supra for an ISF doesn't give many benefits apart from 4 seats :D

I definitely think if you wanted a fast aristo equivalent, like you said, then the ISF is a great car.

Guest touringteg

I purchased my first 94 TT RZ less than a month ago. I bought it for a number of reasons:

1. Nostalgia
  2. Love for 90s/00s Japanese import cars
  3. Has potential to retain or increase in value as American market opens in 2018

I always loved the MKIV Supra so when one came up locally I jumped on it. A friend had a USDM red MKIV TT 6spd hard top no spoiler many years ago and I always drooled over that car.

I enjoy 90s and 2000s Japanese imports and have owned S13 SR20det, Lexus SC400, Skyline R32 GTR, Porsche 993 C4S. I also have a 2001 Acura Integra Type R (CDM) which is a blast to drive. The Supra TT has so much aftermarket support that you can modify it anyway you want. The TT responds very well to mods while still being a reliable Toyota.

One reason the price of Japanese imports is going up is due to the 25 year rule in America. Odds are they will be importing them as prices for LHD in USA are quite high. As well there are countless articles that say the Supra is a blue chip investment when it comes to car collecting.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/12/top-10-best-classic-cars-to-buy-in-2017.html

Edited by touringteg (see edit history)

Mine still makes me feel like a kid whenever I drive it. Hell, even when I just look at it it gives me that tingling feeling.

It's hard to put your finger on the one thing that draws us all to the Supra because it has so many things going for it.

The road presence it still has to this day even against the new cars released this year is proof that this car is something special.

Yep ... what he said .... and nostalgia.

Oh, And as a former RX7 owner I disagree that its a better looking car, but that's entirely subjective obviously.

Edited by brassbones (see edit history)

Yea don't get me wrong I love how fast BPU is and I'm more than happy with it. I just meant in terms of getting rid of the supra for an ISF doesn't give many benefits apart from 4 seats :D

I definitely think if you wanted a fast aristo equivalent, like you said, then the ISF is a great car.

True but the modern tech is pretty appealing, especially when you have two Supra auto TT's! so I wouldn't really be sacrificing anything! Benefits I see are presumptions, but i'd say handling, gearbox & paddles, new/modern 'feel', V8, rarity (far less production numbers than Supra's?) I may be marque biased but I can't think of anything i'd be more comfortable taking on (risk/maintenance wise) than an ISF in it's performance/age/price range, consumables though by themselves are high compared to the Supra.

As I said I'm unlikely to change but I like to keep a short list of possible contenders, and it's a very shortlist right now!

For the money bang for buck so they say the supra is still way up there even being 23 years old has to say something for toyotas build quality!!!

Please post comments on other cars that can compair because to my know ledge there is no car out there that can take x2 designed power out put and still take it as a daily !

Nostalgia for me, had them since 2005 on my 3rd one. There is something about them what brings me back, the styling and the interior it's all way ahead of it's time and also timeless.

The club is also like no others, i'm on the owners club for the daily car and that's just dull hardly any posts and chat. Even when i sold my other supras i was on here most days.

I'm happy to keep mine which stands me at a lot. But i have a nice daily also for more speed and practicality.

Well mr p your comments have well and truly offended me and I demand satisfaction shall we say handbags at dawn on dragonball ? ;)

Handbags at dawn it is my good sir :D.

Put it this way, if I was looking to buy a supra now like I was 6 years ago I wouldn't have even considered it with the prices nowadays.

I don't think I would either, not if I'd never had one before.

This.

I know of people who bought clean, factory jspec tt6 cars for under £6k when the market bottomed out. That was ridiculous for how good these cars are.

That was a crazy time, I wish I'd kept all my Supras now, I remember when I owned 3 at the same time, should of just left them, the 2 N/As sold for bugger all.

I purchased my first 94 TT RZ less than a month ago. I bought it for a number of reasons:

1. Nostalgia
  2. Love for 90s/00s Japanese import cars
  3. Has potential to retain or increase in value as American market opens in 2018

I always loved the MKIV Supra so when one came up locally I jumped on it. A friend had a USDM red MKIV TT 6spd hard top no spoiler many years ago and I always drooled over that car.

I enjoy 90s and 2000s Japanese imports and have owned S13 SR20det, Lexus SC400, Skyline R32 GTR, Porsche 993 C4S. I also have a 2001 Acura Integra Type R (CDM) which is a blast to drive. The Supra TT has so much aftermarket support that you can modify it anyway you want. The TT responds very well to mods while still being a reliable Toyota.

One reason the price of Japanese imports is going up is due to the 25 year rule in America. Odds are they will be importing them as prices for LHD in USA are quite high. As well there are countless articles that say the Supra is a blue chip investment when it comes to car collecting.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/12/top-10-best-classic-cars-to-buy-in-2017.html

Interesting that one of the key points is future value, I wonder how many Supras are currently being bought for solely this reason.

I disagree with that, the new mx5 is cheap and has loads of character. Not fast, but it's fun.

Agree completely, it's a absolutely cracking car, bang for buck the best car I ever had was my mk1 MX5, nothing has ever come close for fun factor to that.

For the money bang for buck so they say the supra is still way up there even being 23 years old has to say something for toyotas build quality!!!

Please post comments on other cars that can compair because to my know ledge there is no car out there that can take x2 designed power out put and still take it as a daily !

Anything with an LS engine? Hemi engines? I know someone with a B16 stock block with more than double the power and still takes it to the strip most weekends, I've also seen pretty crazy figures put through the 996 Turbo engines, plenty of cars can do it, the biggest tuning marvel of the Supra was the V160/V161 gearbox, that's where others fall down, don't get me wrong, it's a fantastically tune-able engine, it really is, but it's not the only one.

Tuning ability is the Supras legendary and therefore probably best aspect imo :) How many other cars will make over 800hp with basically bolt on parts and remain reliable if driven sympathetically? Even the R35 GTR can't do that.

Outside of exotica, there are very few cars that can do that.