The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why on earth would you buy a Supra?

marc_p

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On that subject, I'll be really interested to see what kind of results people get from that VTEC head that's appeared recently. Would be nice if something similar for a 1uz happened too.

Considering that head is something like $25k, would you really want to buy 2 of them for a UZ? :D IMO an ls swap would be infinitely cheaper and with greater potential.

Considering that head is something like $25k, would you really want to buy 2 of them for a UZ? :D IMO an ls swap would be infinitely cheaper and with greater potential.

If I had the money, absolutely. V8, x-pipe exhaust and ITBs with a VTEC head would sound immense. Plus it's still a Toyota at its heart (and I'm putting one in place of the 2j anyway).

Another vote for nostalgia here!... And looks... and sound... and the dash... and everything else.... And this is coming from a die-hard classic muscle fan! I know it's cliche, but ever since the first F&F film I've yearned for one (as well as a 70 Charger, but that'll be the day).

I personally don't own a supra (yet), but about a year ago my Dad was after a new a new toy, and after I showed him a few Supra's he was hooked! He picked up an immaculate 98 Jspec TT6 in black, with UK spec brakes, Prodrive alloys, and a few other little touches. He spent about 18k, which I know goes against a lot of opinions regarding whether or not this is the time to buy, but we feel it's probably the best investment our family has ever made! Especially as I plan to buy it off him when I have the cash :D

As well as all the good points people have made so far, something I've not noticed mentioned yet is how ridiculously comfy it is! At least imo anyway! we took it to Le Mans last year and it was pure luxury all the way there. It really is the perfect long distance cruiser (as long as you don't look at the fuel gauge).

As mentioned, the community is also a real strong point. Since I don't yet own a Supra, I'm more of a lurker here at the moment, just taking in knowledge, but everyone is so friendly! Even just chatting to owners at Japfest last year restored my faith in the car scene. My life (and wallet) is currently consumed by my classic Mini project which is far from a standard, period restoration. Christ, you should see how hostile people on the Mini forums get over anything that isn't factory correct or original! Does my head in! It's why I tend to avoid Mini shows and stick to Jap/Euro/general mod shows.

Another vote for nostalgia here!... And looks... and sound... and the dash... and everything else.... And this is coming from a die-hard classic muscle fan! I know it's cliche, but ever since the first F&F film I've yearned for one (as well as a 70 Charger, but that'll be the day).

I personally don't own a supra (yet), but about a year ago my Dad was after a new a new toy, and after I showed him a few Supra's he was hooked! He picked up an immaculate 98 Jspec TT6 in black, with UK spec brakes, Prodrive alloys, and a few other little touches. He spent about 18k, which I know goes against a lot of opinions regarding whether or not this is the time to buy, but we feel it's probably the best investment our family has ever made! Especially as I plan to buy it off him when I have the cash :D

As well as all the good points people have made so far, something I've not noticed mentioned yet is how ridiculously comfy it is! At least imo anyway! we took it to Le Mans last year and it was pure luxury all the way there. It really is the perfect long distance cruiser (as long as you don't look at the fuel gauge).

As mentioned, the community is also a real strong point. Since I don't yet own a Supra, I'm more of a lurker here at the moment, just taking in knowledge, but everyone is so friendly! Even just chatting to owners at Japfest last year restored my faith in the car scene. My life (and wallet) is currently consumed by my classic Mini project which is far from a standard, period restoration. Christ, you should see how hostile people on the Mini forums get over anything that isn't factory correct or original! Does my head in! It's why I tend to avoid Mini shows and stick to Jap/Euro/general mod shows.

Good post, I think for most it's becoming all about the nostalgia now, which is no bad thing, hell, I want a 911 3.2 with whale tail, which in all fairness is a bit of a rubbish car compared to the rest of the 911s, but I'm still desperately drawn to them.

Oh and unoriginal, yeah, that's me, hell I got a fresh import TT6 and stripped it to create mine, then sold it.............as an N/A :D

Good post, I think for most it's becoming all about the nostalgia now, which is no bad thing, hell, I want a 911 3.2 with whale tail, which in all fairness is a bit of a rubbish car compared to the rest of the 911s, but I'm still desperately drawn to them.

Oh and unoriginal, yeah, that's me, hell I got a fresh import TT6 and stripped it to create mine, then sold it.............as an N/A :D

:p

wooiu.jpg