The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Harleys new progress blog from the start. My Na 5

HarleyFDMD

I love this thread particularly because it's a black car like mine so I like stealing ideas! Facelift lights and coil overs are both on my wants list (as well as a TT engine!!)

I love the stance on the car. It reminds me a bit of going down the muscle car route.

I did prefer the wheels when they were silver (just personal preference) and when it had a wing but she looks so aggressive now.

The car looks incredibly clean. Is it really as good as it looks or does it drive you mad in the same way mine does? :)

Keep up the good work!

Thank you 😊 i also enjoy looking at other black cars for ideas! I have a Carbon blade TRD wing to go on hopefully today, my painter keeps delaying which is annoying.

The car is very very clean but as with any car of it age it does have imperfections.

There is a chip on the top of the rear bumper where i loaded an intake manifold into the boot a year or so ago and caught the bumper with one of the studs in the manifold.

The windscreen has a chip in it which has recently started to crack. Il be getting a new windscreen through my insurance.

The front bumper has a small area of paint near the badge that has reacted slightly.

The front bumper doesnt meet the wing 100%, im going to look at this over the next couple of days.

The drivers side wing has a small area of faint scratching under the paint and both wings i have touched up near the headlights. Im not too bothered by either of these as i will eventually buy a pair of facelift wings.

The boot has a small area of paint missing where the spoiler sits. Im hoping the TRD wing will cover this however i do fancy a full carbon boot lid.

The car is perfectly straight though, there are no dents in it whatsoever.

I do keep the paint work very well maintained, i am careful while washing it and use good known products.

Swirl marks are a total pain and you'll never completely avoid them but i find using a meguiars microfiber wash mitt, lots of ultimate shampoo, the meguairs large bucket (10 litres i think) with the gritt guard and lots and lots of warm water applying no pressure atall to the mitt it does keep them to a minimum.

I will literally get through the whole 10 litres while washing the car, i also use snow foam occasionally.

You'll see it at Japfest and you can judge for yourself what you think lol. Be good to meet you.

Looking great Harley, can't wait to see it with the the TRD wing!

Wheels look spot on! The fitment on the rear with the AD08s looks mean! Really brings out the rear arches

Im really looking forward to getting the wing on later! The car does look really mean! The pictures dont do much justice tbh, it looks really wide! The arches are completely filled

Picked my TRD wing up earlier, really happy with it until i went to fit it and realised the left leg has paint missing from it, the guy who painted it has clearly rushed it and missed abit. Pretty fucking pissed off tbh considering he's had it almost 3 weeks and kept promising it day after day and im pretty sure he's just quickly blasted it this morning quickly as the paint feels pretty soft on it still 😡

Sooo..

Initially i was pretty pissed of with the wing after receiving it back from the painters. I fitted it in the dark with my phone light and noticed that on one part there is paint missing, however the following day i couldnt see it?

Turns out its only noticeable at night time with a light directly on it. Still annoyed by it obviously but its not as bad as i first thought. It will be going back to be re done but not until after japfest now.

In the garage where its relatively dark and with the flash on my phone.

Outside in the daylight

I guess its just where the paint is abit thin there, any how itll be sorted, but for now its not that bad.

Now, im expecting abit of grief here lol.

I fitted my blade at a slightly more aggressive angle, i for one think it looks quite cool with abit more tilt, but i know full well others with presume I'm a dick head and as of yet I'm not denying it.

I like doing things a little different sometimes, since doing my tyre stencils I've had loads of people ask me about them, even seen afew pictures of supras that have done it.. same with my skirt extensions.

So give it time and everyone will have stupid tilted TRD wings 😂😂 orrr maybe not?

• Haha 1

Got afew bits done this morning at work.

Starting with an oil and filter change.

Was pleased to see little to no swarf on the end of my magnetic sump plug too

Oil was still pretty clean, although i did only do afew hundred miles last year

I also got around to getting my samdwich plate on along with sensors for my gauges.. i had to extend some of the signal wires and so basically made up my own small loom for them

I also took afew good pictures of the whole underside just to show how clean it is now underneath. Im quite happy with how it all looks now, i dont think there's too many NAs about with undersides quite as clean.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

JapFest...

What a show! Weather held out all day and the quality of cars was top notch!

I met loads of new people and just generally had a really good day.

Spents hours Saturday polishing and waxing the car!

Took afew pictures myself although only on my phone:

This photo is credited to Glanza_Mike, awesome picture!

And then the following two were taken by a nice chap called Mark Rodway, he has a photography company called VagRoots and has taken pictures of my car at various shows over the past couple of years:

I actually have an A1 print i purchased from him framed in my living room taken at Gravity last year

• Like 1

Couple of small updates..

So after multiple bollockings from James (theturtleshead) i finally bought some motorsport rollcage padding and padded the top section of the main hoop.

I also decided to have a closer look at my spare HVAC module as i noticed the font on it was ever so slightly different to the one fitted in the car.

I thought maybe it was from a facelift car but once i plugged it in it became apparent that someone had modified it and fitted white LEDs throughout.. bonus!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello mate, just gone through the whole thread and good to see the car is in good hands.

the paint has always had autoglym weekly for 13 years before you had it hence looking like that however was resprayed if i recall 5 years ago ish and then polished with autoglym as before. I tried the products your using before and never got on with them.

Car is looking mint, its had a TRD spoiler on before but i never liked it so stayed with standard.

I see your looking at changing the engine however for now the existing exhaust (not manifold) has a lifetime warranty with custom pipes in Doncaster, also as you like clean the exhaust with a polish will come up to a mirror finish if you want it too.

That engine is bomb proof and to this day its the best ive had, was serviced every year by a toyota tec who worked with supras back in the 90's.... ive always gone through diffs with this car, ive blow diffs just driving fast road stuff and drifting and after letting various people drive the car we put it down to the power, not a clue why its as fast as it it, the cams are standard but its not 225bhp that car no way in hell as you probably know by now. i had friends with fq320 evos and i could sit with them all day long. it was fast in totally standard form even before the exhaust for an na.

its had a crazy life this car, was owned in japan from new by a woman who was a director of pioneer electronics, she handed the car down to her daughter who then relocated to kuala lumpur who ran an investment company and then put up for sale. The husband of a woman who used to run Hallmark cards imported the car as a surprise and thats who i got it from. in my build thread you will see the car was totally stock apart from 18 inch alasio alloys.

I used the car as a daily going from doncaster to chesterfield monday to sat but the car was using £20 per day in fuel so and i changed jobs and used this as a toy, lots of track days in this, cadwell lots of times, york raceway and santa pod running a 14.3 at i think 100mph ish. Then went the show car route and i put 17k into that car ish ultimately rendering it boring for me ie i couldnt use on track days hence breaking it.

For reference if nothing else, the standard brakes would outbrake anything and never fade, it would do 7 hot laps of cadwell until either the tyres went off or the power steering over heated and started spilling into the engine bay. (only on track days)

never did the car break down ever.

keep the updates coming and when you sell the engine id not just give it away as its a very good one and no a run of the mill one.

Hello mate, just gone through the whole thread and good to see the car is in good hands.

the paint has always had autoglym weekly for 13 years before you had it hence looking like that however was resprayed if i recall 5 years ago ish and then polished with autoglym as before. I tried the products your using before and never got on with them.

Car is looking mint, its had a TRD spoiler on before but i never liked it so stayed with standard.

I see your looking at changing the engine however for now the existing exhaust (not manifold) has a lifetime warranty with custom pipes in Doncaster, also as you like clean the exhaust with a polish will come up to a mirror finish if you want it too.

That engine is bomb proof and to this day its the best ive had, was serviced every year by a toyota tec who worked with supras back in the 90's.... ive always gone through diffs with this car, ive blow diffs just driving fast road stuff and drifting and after letting various people drive the car we put it down to the power, not a clue why its as fast as it it, the cams are standard but its not 225bhp that car no way in hell as you probably know by now. i had friends with fq320 evos and i could sit with them all day long. it was fast in totally standard form even before the exhaust for an na.

its had a crazy life this car, was owned in japan from new by a woman who was a director of pioneer electronics, she handed the car down to her daughter who then relocated to kuala lumpur who ran an investment company and then put up for sale. The husband of a woman who used to run Hallmark cards imported the car as a surprise and thats who i got it from. in my build thread you will see the car was totally stock apart from 18 inch alasio alloys.

I used the car as a daily going from doncaster to chesterfield monday to sat but the car was using £20 per day in fuel so and i changed jobs and used this as a toy, lots of track days in this, cadwell lots of times, york raceway and santa pod running a 14.3 at i think 100mph ish. Then went the show car route and i put 17k into that car ish ultimately rendering it boring for me ie i couldnt use on track days hence breaking it.

For reference if nothing else, the standard brakes would outbrake anything and never fade, it would do 7 hot laps of cadwell until either the tyres went off or the power steering over heated and started spilling into the engine bay. (only on track days)

never did the car break down ever.

keep the updates coming and when you sell the engine id not just give it away as its a very good one and no a run of the mill one.

Ahh i wondered whether you'd seen this thread and whether you'd comment.

I am glad you approve of what i have done/doing.

I did make afew stupid mistakes when i first purchased it but back then i was still very new to the whole concept of owning a car such as this, particularly one in as good'a shape.

Messing about with body kits, cheap lowering springs and stretched tyres was inevitable at the time however since then i think the car has come an awful long way! I definitely have more of an understanding of what really matters and where i want the car to end up.

No more cheap shit and no more "that'll do attitude".

The majority of the car has been resprayed again in my ownership, only the rear bumper, boot and doors are from when you had it painted. The colour match is 100% perfect though.

My accident last year was a shame but fortunately the car came back stronger, i was disappointed about the bonnet though as i really liked that and the quality of the vents were second to none.

The wings now live on on Robin Millners Na-T aerotop although i believe the carbon has started to de-laminate.

I still have many many ideas and eventually it will be a big single running an R154 once i can afford to complete it.

Fancy a full carbon bootlid and TRD wing too... currently still have the one on that you made (designed and built by C.T Hudson)

Funny actually because my mothers maiden name is Hudson.

It will be at in the centre of Modified Nationals this coming weekend on the show and shine stand.

I am also in the expedition hall show and shine at Japanese performance show in August if you wanted to see it again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As others have also said... I have also just read from Page 1 to the above. Great read, great thread and very nice car. Keep up the great work and the fantastic updates.

Very Inspiring, In fact I shall be heading home and cleaning and polishing my car.

Oh yeah, I was at Japfest this year and half way through reading this I twigged that I recognised it.

• 4 weeks later...
As others have also said... I have also just read from Page 1 to the above. Great read, great thread and very nice car. Keep up the great work and the fantastic updates.

Very Inspiring, In fact I shall be heading home and cleaning and polishing my car.

Oh yeah, I was at Japfest this year and half way through reading this I twigged that I recognised it.

Thank you misslie. Sorry for the belated reply!

Couple of update.. one inparticular that i am over the moon with!

I havnt actually done much with the car recently. I attended modified nationals afew weeks back on the slammedUK stand in the centre of the show.

Unfortunately i missed the majority of the show as i dropped the car off on the friday, then went out and got pissed up and didnt make it back to the show until sunday evening lol.. by which time it had rained and combined with the dust that had settled on the car it looked at complete abandoned mess 😂

None the less, afew pictures did emerge on instagram and facebook that i was tagged in.

I must confess, the pictures are doing it undeserved justice. It didnt look as clean and shiney as they make it look!

Other than that though i have bought a couple of things to aid my turbo build.

Firstly a long block GE no pictures of it but if you imagine a dirty old GE motor sitting in a large pool of its own oil in the centre of my garage and yeah, thats that.

Secondly, which im rather bloody chuffed with as it was abit of a fluke is a single turbo manifold i have bought.

While buying the engine i mentioned to Ben that i was in the market for a single turbo gte manifold and he told me he had one laying in his unit that i could take a look at. I had previously been looking at the Virtual Works Racing manifolds twin scroll and twin gate. A twin scroll twin gate manifold was going to cost me £1700 retail which obviously isnt pocket change! One did come up a little while back that i very nearly bought which was £1200 but i turned it down in the end and decided id just wait it out for a second hand one to come up.

Anyway, Ben pulled out this manifold which he thought was a cheap Japspeed manifold as it wasnt his it was one that belonged to someone else that was being kept at his unit and Ben was just selling his stuff on for him.

Its brand new t4, twin scroll, twin gate (46mm V band) and looked to be pretty good quality. Clean welds and very tidy inside the collector. I wasnt convinced it was a japspeed manifold as the quality looked too good and id I've only ever heard bad things about japspeed manofold. None the less i decided to buy it for a price i wont disclose as i feel abit cheeky now! I figured if it wasnt right for what i needed id easily be able to sell it on for what i paid.

On the long journey home i pulled over at a services for some lunch and to have a closer look at what id bought, the manifold (being new) still had the sticker/barcode on it

I typed it into google and boom! Virtual Works Racing!! I couldnt believe my luck!! Turns out its an early model (pre 2014) virtual works, twin scroll, twin gate manifold. It must have been bought brand new and then never used. I dont know how much these earlier ones are worth but the newer later ones retail at £1700 and the only difference is the head flange on the newer ones has VWR engraved into it.

Once i got home i measured it upto my precision 46mm wastegate and precision 6266 turbo and everything fits perfect. It does now mean i have to buy another wastegate though lol.

• Like 1