The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Harleys new progress blog from the start. My Na 5

HarleyFDMD

I havent had much to report on recently as things have slowed down while i save abit of cash. The car hasnt left the garage and is currently just on a spare set of wheels while i await having my BBSs refurbished (il get round to doing this over the winter)

I have just bought some very nice low mileage UK rear calipers though from Jazz. He kindly delivered them for me himself this morning and im super happy with them. I also bought his slotted discs (front and rear) and Do-luck lines. The calipers also have Chris Wilson fast road pads and all only done roughly 3k.

Im going to paint them silver along with my UK fronts with new decals. Then just quickly wire wheel the discs to freshen them up abit.

Car looks amazing mate. Ever time I see a update it make me want to do more to mine . When’s the turbo going in:)

Thanks man. I want to do more to mine too but dont have enough money lol!

The plan is to save a couple of grand and then buy an ECU, SSI intake and another 46mm wastegate.

Even once that is bought though il probably still have another 3 or 4 grand il have to spend to get it actually finished

• 3 weeks later...

Small update.

I have sanded and painted my UK rear calipers.

I couldnt decide what to do with them, metallic HKS purple, gold, hydrographics etc etc... in the end i just settled on a nice light oem looking silver lol.

Im pleased with them though and they look good with the new decals.

Just need to do the fronts now too.

I have also bought a new exhaust.

My current exhaust is a custom proflow 2.5" system with a centre silencer and a stainless 6 branch manifold.

My new exhaust will be a 4" HKS Titanium.

I have just bought it from Cillian in the the sale section and i think it will compliment my single build nicely!

• Like 1

Small update.

I have sanded and painted my UK rear calipers.

I couldnt decide what to do with them, metallic HKS purple, gold, hydrographics etc etc... in the end i just settled on a nice light oem looking silver lol.

Im pleased with them though and they look good with the new decals.

Just need to do the fronts now too.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171114/dce8a2e11861d6fde39e54b9f8c4ddce.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171114/9776bf1fd78d41ee9233f46b1a12db9b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171114/3a484afb42635e5d2814799e5c121246.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171114/f5288974101cd7bd31f45f3754925434.jpg

I have also bought a new exhaust.

My current exhaust is a custom proflow 2.5" system with a centre silencer and a stainless 6 branch manifold.

My new exhaust will be a 4" HKS Titanium.

I have just bought it from Cillian in the the sale section and i think it will compliment my single build nicely!

Good work as always Harley. You’ll notice a big difference with the UK brakes - a very worthwhile upgrade!

Made another significant purchase today. I have been reading up about various ECU options for a while now and weighing up my tuner options too.

Initially i was a set on the AEM V2 but after careful consideration i have opted for and purchased a Link G4 with supralink. Link ECUs seem to be flooding the market at the minute and there seems to lots of tuners out there too which was a deciding factor for me.. that and the fact Paul at Whifbitz has a cracking black friday sale on. £950 including Vat and postage!

Thanks guys [emoji16]

Purchased my 2nd R154 today.

Took a trip down to see Gary England to buy it. This one is fully functional and is complete. Unlike my other one that whines in gear and is also missing its shifter - which will shortly be for sale if anyone is interested.

Has someone won the lotto on the forum and not sharing it. :D all coming together now mate. What you looking for the old box
Hahaha i bloody wish! If id won the lotto it would be a couple of V161s sat in the garage. Not 1 and a half R154s lol

Id buy a V161 for everyone everyone on the forum lol.

Nah basically i got lucky on a couple of cars i bought and sold. Picking up an A02B LSD next week too!

After that though there wont be anymore big purchases until well into the new year.

• Like 1

Happy day mate bet you can’t wait now till you get to put it all together. Been looking at the g4 myself. Dropped my wheels off today for refurb and colour change so got plenty to do while the wheels are off .
Yeah man the day cant come soon enough!! Im getting desperate now for abit of boost!

More parts!

Today i went and collected an A02B lsd diff and shafts. Chris (berg) included in the sale the yellow strongflex bushes which i am very grateful for - the two rear ones are still brand new in the packaging!

The diff itself also has a brand new breather and brand new fill/drain plugs.

I have also decided to keep both the R154s. The whiney one will just be kept as a spare incase i strip a gear in my good one.

imageimage

Edited by HarleyFDMD (see edit history)

I made a start swapping afew bits over on the R154s today. The old one was directly out of a supra so it already had the 2j bellhousing and gearbox mount crossmember, whereas the new one has come straight from a mk3.

I whipped the bellhousings off first - no problem.

But then when i went to swap over the mounts i noticed that the casings were slightly different between the two boxes and that the mk4 supra crossmember mount wasn't compatible with my new box due to it missing a fixing hole in the casing (theres three in a row on the new box and three in a row then a forth diagonally up to the right on the old box).

So i plan on swapping the rear casings of the boxes over to over come this!

imageimageimageimage

Today i finished tinkering with the gearboxes and i now have 1 good R154 ready to go straight into a mk4 supra with the exception of the extended shifter housing.

I swapped over the bellhousings, rear casings and crossmember mount and the prop collar at the very back of the trans. I also fitted an inspection cover that i picked up off ebay for a tenner! Still missing one though so if anyone has the other side cover laying around let me know.

In the process of swapping over the rear casings i did have a butt clenching moment when i heard a *ting* and a ball bearing fell out of somewhere and ended up rolling across my work bench as i separated the box.

After not being able to see where it came from and cursing myself for doing something that i wasnt overly experienced in i decided to call my mate who builds gearboxes for a living.. then i decided to save myself the embarrassment and just have a quick check on google first... surprisingly and rather fortunately it was very common for this bearing to come out while splitting the casing on an R154 and so after reading afew posts on various threads across the tinterweb i was able to relocate it back to where it belongs.

It sits under a small spring which pushes it down into grooves on a selector rod to aid shifting i believe.

Anyway.. problem solved and box back together and complete.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• 1 month later...

I have made some pretty drastic changes over the past few days relating to the planned build.

If you have kept up with my build you'd have read that my spec was going to be a built gte non vvti head on a forged ge block - then mated to an R154 transmission.

After some consideration i have decided to go for a full gte vvti engine instead.

Various factors have lead to this but primarily its because:

1) It will get the car finished quicker. I had the built gte head but i was miles off finishing a forged block + all the ancillaries.

2) I dont want the car to be seen as a 'Frankenstein' car - what with it having a gte head, ge block and mk3 supra R154 trans thats 3 major components from 3 different models of car and i would rather the car remain as 'pure' as possible while still achieving what i want to achieve.

3) The 2jzgte vvti engine is just a better platform to build on.

I have purchased a TOMS edition aristo engine from JDM garage. It is complete with all ancillaries including the loom, the only thing missing are the turbos - which benefited me as il be throwing my single turbo kit on anyway.

The engine has also just had a new headgasket, timing belt kit and valves re lapped all done in house at JDM garage.

I also already have a complete rear sump kit and a complete gte engine loom (non vvti but apparently its not overly difficult to alter to work with vvti)