The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam's Supra Build

Cam27

Great work, engine bay looks great, real busy. The dreaded brake and fuel lines, everyone should check these, just as well you've seen them now before getting back up and running.

Thank you mate. Yeah it was a lucky catch, when we went to take the brake lines off there was a leak as soon as they were disturbed!

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New brake lines were made up today. I decided to just make replacement hardlines out of cupro nickel rather than braided due to time and cost basically. Quite a fiddly time consuming job that i am glad is out the way.

Installed the new braided fuel lines as well. I just need to fasten them up along the body. I thought it was best to leave it until i figured out the best way to go about it to get a neat finish, as they are too fat for the stock brackets.

New downpipe is also on now, i had to tap the holes on the flange as the threads were stripped, typical! Haha. I am pleased to have a flexi section in the system.

On Thursday morning all the last jobs for preparing the car to run were done. Fuel lines were clipped up, exhaust refitted, gearbox oil changed, brakes bled, coolant system filled etc.

The car fired up first try, excellent. There was a small leak from the fuel filter, but that just needed nipped up. It was quickly apparent that the car was badly overfueling and after a quick investigation the cause was found; the nipple had broke off the filter for the vaccuum line to the map sensor! A quick call to Toyota and a replacement arrived the next morning.

With the replacement gas filter fitted the engine was fired again, this time no problems. There was a really annoying rattle which was traced to the wastegate actuator linkage, a small adjustment sorted that.

After a short test drive it was time to fit the front bumper, which looks great after paint. I am really happy with the colour coded lip as well, but I will have be carefull not to ground it! Also fitted the LED indicators, which i love! Really modernises the front of the car:)

It was then time to take the car home! It has been a long winter without it, and a much bigger job than I intended, but it feels good to have it back.

I have a bit of fault finding to do as the car is running a little bit rich. There has been so many things changed i want to rule out the little things before resorting to a mappable ecu.

On the drive home i gave a good hard pull and the cap blew off the breather port on the plenum, which was an easy fix. Also the boost controller was going nuts as it had resorted back to the factory settings when the battery was disconnected. I have re-entered them now.

The new clutch is lovely, such an improvement in feel and engagement over the old one!

The engine bay looks great now, i just need to give the car a thorough clean and polish now for my first show this year this weekend.

Edited by Cam27 (see edit history)

Cool good job on the brake/fuel lines.

Thank you, not a glamorous job but necessary. At least i have peace of mind now

Looks great, you must be pleased to get it back on the road knowing you've done a lot of necessary up-date work along with the upgrades.

Thank you very much mate! Yes definitely, now i can enjoy the car for the summer knowing it's mechanically sound.

As I have mentioned previously the car was runninh slightly rich after the engine work, so I wanted to get it sorted asap. After doing some research using the search on here, i had a few things i wanted to check. First off was vaccuum leaks, i did find one hose that had split. I had read that if the ecu coolant temp sensor reads out of range then it defaults to 60 degrees and basically gives a false cold map which can cause overfueling, so for the sake of £15 i changed it for a new one. I Aso changed the heated oxygen sensor (lambda) as there js only one on my car so wanted to make sure of getting an accurate reading.

After getting thw car up to temperature the afr was tested and was spot on, happy days. It could be that the ecu was also "learning" after being reset from the battery disconnected. Anyhow, it was one or a combination of those things causing the problem, and I'm chuffed to have it sorted.

The garage that looks after my car has just purchased a dyno that is being installed this weekend, so hopefully get the car on there next week to see what it is making! I have the printout from 2015 for comparison.

On of the photographers from Banzai magazine was at an event I was also attending over the weekend (Retro Toyota Day). I thought I would share this shot he took as it's one of the best of my car I have seen :)

• 3 weeks later...

A few changes have happened with the car over the past few weeks. First off I have went back to the stock spoiler, for a while anyway. I sent it off to get painted and fitted new foams under the legs.

The car is up on the stands as I have decided to change the brakes also. There are a few reasons for this, mainly because I want the car to handle well, and a 30 profile tyre on a 19" wheel isn't doing it. The sheer size of the front calipers mean that is the minimum size you can get away with and I want to run an 18" wheel. Also I am not a fan of orange haha.

With the big brakes gone I picked up a set of UK brakes from my friend who sold his Supra last year, big thanks to him on a great deal. They look a bit tatty at first glance but actually are in great condition.

This week they are being fully stripped, new seal kit fitted, repainted and new decals. I was too lazy to it them to my car to push the pistons out so just did it on the bench with my air compressor. The rears came out easily which was nice, I started the fronts yesterday but one of the pistons is stuck, I think because the outer seal was torn and water has got in. I will get him though. The fitting parts have cleaned up well, and hopeully the seals will arrive today along with a set of Chris Wilson fast road pads. I picked up a nearly new set of front discs from Jake (Ripped Fear) which are getting skimmed at the moment, (cheers mate) so the only thing left on the shopping list is new rear discs, which I will order today.

Today i received the parts to get on with the caliper refurb; Supra decals, new banjo bolts, genuine seal kit from Toyota and new pads courtesy of Mr. Wilson.

Then it was on to the labourious task of cleaning and prepping for painting and masking off.

I did the rears first, this is after paint and ready to rebuild. I read a lot of old posts where people found it tricky to install the outer seals and retaining clips. I found if you install the pistons just past halfway it is much easier.

Really happy with the finished result! It took me a total of 4 days. Fitting the decals was a bit stressful as you only get one go to get it right haha. In total i had 3 seized pistons which added a bit of time but i enjoyed the job! Fitting them at the weekend, looking forward to testing them out!

Looks good mate. Is their a guide to rebuilding the pistons etc. Probably could do with doing mine to be fair

/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy, there are a couple on here yeah! I did a search before starting, they were quite handy

Great photo but who's the guy stood in front of it with the hat on... he looks a little shifty to me ;) :p

Glad to see you got her running perfect mate she's looking great :)

Haha cheers mate!

I'm not sure but I wouldn't trust him! :D

Over the bank holiday weekend i got my new brakes fitted. Picked up a set of rear discs, mounting bolts and washers from my local Toyota (25% discount isn't too shabby!).

Started with fitting the rears, which went very smoothly :)

I did a comparison split-shot with the ksport rears, doesn't do justice to how much smaller the oem caliper is.

Then on to the fronts which didn't go so smoothly, first of all the finish on one of the calipers got damged in transit from my house to my car, ffs! I will need to fix it when another set of decals arrive, i painted it in for the time being. Then once on tried my wheel and they wouldn't go on without the spacers, which I sold with the Ksports! I had to get a set of cheapo universal ones as I had an event on Monday, but luckily Kraig who bought the brakes was kind enough to send me the proper spacers back, so should be able to refit them tomorrow.

Whilst he wheels were off I gave them a good clean and wax, they came up a treat. Also since the engine rebuild the power steering pump has been noisy and the steering heavy, which I am putting down to air in the system, so i flushed the fluid with new and is much better.

On Monday I took the car out a run with my club on some scenic routes. I forgot the AC hadn't been recharged after the engine was out so it was mega hot!

It looks strange without the orange calipers but I am 100% happy with the change! It suits me better.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I updated this thread, and a fair bit happening with the car, so I will keep this post about my seats. As some of you may know, the alcantara on my front seats has suffered badly from uv light and faded badly to a horrible purple. Here is how they looked.

Over time as the fading got worse it was really spoiling the interior of the car, and only being 18 months old and very expensive i decided to get in touch with Status directly. After sending some emails explaining the situation they offered to send two complete sets of covers in Daytona black leather free of charge! Ideal.

While I was waiting on the new panels arriving I stripped the interior, along with the rollcage which i sold, and stripped down one seat ready to re-upholster. I left the other one in case i needed a reference putting it back together. I also picked up a new set of rear quarter panels to replace my cut ones, they are not fitted yet as i plan to trim them in leather. I also picked up a spare rear subframe while i was at it haha.

The new covers arrived on Friday, so set about fitting them, it was quite a labour intensive job but not too bad. The mrs hairdryer helped with stretching the leather! They were pretty much plug and play apart from having to punch some holes for the bottom seat panel.

I got them re-installed today and they look fantastic, what a difference! The best part is all it cost me was the shipping from the states which was $120, well worth it!

The next update is about some turbo issues i have been suffering over the past several weeks.

It started on the way down to a show in Cumbria, when i arrived after the 100 mile or so journey the exhaust was smoking badly, stinking like burned oil. On the way home when boosting on the 2nd turbo there was a noise like a screaming cat in pain! Not good. Also the catch tank was spitting oil through the breather filter.

My first thought was passing piston rings, as the crankcase was obviously under pressure, so a compression test and cylinder leak down test was done, which both turned out perfectly! The spark plugs looked good too, so further investigation was required.

So safe in the knowledge the block was fine (thankfully after the money that was spent refreshing it) the next step was going through the vaccuum system.

I bought a pressure/vaccuum tester to test the actuators controlled by the VSVs to ensure they were operating as per the TSRM, (best £20 i ever spent). All were fine except from the wastegate actuator which would not hold pressure due to a leaking hose! Also while i was in the mood to have the engine in bits again i removed the IACV for cleaning and a new O ring left over from my gasket kit.

I took the car a test run today and it is back to being 100% healthy! No smoke from the exhaust and proper boosting. I am really chuffed as the next step was going to be sending the turbos for a rebuild! I am assuming the wastegate could not open properly, and the boost pressure was leaking past the turbo seals in to the crankcase via the oil drain

Now I can enjoy the car for the rest of the Summer!

Well done mate. Love them oem calipers over any aftermarket besides brembo but still too none the less. Nice job on the seats. Guess you have proven a supra can be used to courier big items and not just a stance or race car. Was the pipe the culprit for the excess oil and boost issue? I saw you tested the vsv's as well as removed the idle control valve and cleaned it up and fitted a new o-ring. I think I missed it yet I did read it.

This will be the last update for a little while, the reason for which i will get to shortly.

A couple of small fixes first though, since changing to heckler LED indicators they have been drooping to the centre of the bumper as they didn't have the fixings on the side. I marked and drilled the front bumper (scary being freshly painted!) by applying masking tape and using a paint pen to rub where it would sit. All went smoothly and looks much better.

I felt that the area around the brake master cylinder was getting a little crowded with the breather lines and the check valve for the booster line is quite big, so I decided to make another new booster line to clean things up, i think it's tidier now. I did refurb the stock line and tried it, but i just hate the way it looks.

Now with a 100% healthy engine i took the car out for a spirited drive with the mrs and on full boost my gearbox finally gave up the ghost! I was shifting from 4th to 5th and it made a terrible grinding noise and had no drive, tried every other gear and got the same result, apart from 4th, which was still ok.

I managed the 30 mile journey home in 4th on back roads. Half a click from my house i came to a stop junction, and the subsequent launch in 4th killed my new clutch too.

So the car was collected and taken to Underwood's (again) where it is patiently waiting for me to save for a new gearbox.

I am not too mad i broke the gearbox as the w58 has been on borrowed time, and running double it's rated power for many years now, i think it's done well! I will most likely upgrade to an R154 in the Autumn.

To end the post on a better note, some shots of the car from some recent shows.