The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam's Supra Build

Cam27

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cars looking stunning and gutting about gearbox finally giving up ghost, but at least next year your be able to enjoy car more with better box. If don’t mind me asking how much power was you putting through gearbox?

Thanks mate, like you say once it's replaced I will have peace of mind. It was dyno'd at 432bhp in 2015, so since the engine refresh with the hks cams, larger fmic, freer flowing exhaust I would say around 450. I will get it on the dyno again once the new box is in

Thanks mate, like you say once it's replaced I will have peace of mind. It was dyno'd at 432bhp in 2015, so since the engine refresh with the hks cams, larger fmic, freer flowing exhaust I would say around 450. I will get it on the dyno again once the new box is in

That’s very impressive that gearbox has done very well to carry for 3 years at that power level

Well done mate. Love them oem calipers over any aftermarket besides brembo but still too none the less. Nice job on the seats. Guess you have proven a supra can be used to courier big items and not just a stance or race car. Was the pipe the culprit for the excess oil and boost issue? I saw you tested the vsv's as well as removed the idle control valve and cleaned it up and fitted a new o-ring. I think I missed it yet I did read it.

Thanks for the kind words mate, yes the vaccuum hose to the wastegate was the issue. It was my daily that i used for the courier duties, not sure a subframe would fit in the Sup comfortably haha!

That’s very impressive that gearbox has done very well to carry for 3 years at that power level

For sure, the box has 180k on it as well! I'm not sure when the hybrids were installed by the previous owner but probably lbeen running that power more than 3 years.

Shame about the gearbox, at least you were under no illusion that you were on borrowed time.

One thing I have only just noticed, that rear diffuser is the best fitting I have seen. Its the first time I have thought, I want that diffuser. Did you buy it and fit it ?

Shame about the gearbox, at least you were under no illusion that you were on borrowed time.

One thing I have only just noticed, that rear diffuser is the best fitting I have seen. Its the first time I have thought, I want that diffuser. Did you buy it and fit it ?

Hi Matt, thanks for that. I bought it off a member who got it in the group buy but never fitted it, so it was new but didn't come with any fixings or brackets so I made my own.

I think the difference is it normally sits flat under the rear bumper, whereas mine is angled up at the back and mounted to the bumper. The installation is earlier in this thread somewhere:thumbs:

• 2 months later...

I managed to find myself a new gearbox..V161! I figured i might as well do it properly once and be done with it. I bought it a few days ago and it's on it's way just now, should hopefully arrive start of next week.

I am just weighing up my options regarding a diff now, but i am hoping to have the car back on the road in the next couple of weeks :)

Yesterday the new gearbox setup arrived safe and sound, which was a big relief! Looking over it everything seems to be there and in good condition.

I ordered a new set of tripod bushes before it arrived, which turned out to be a good idea as they were pretty shot. I also ordered a 6 speed diff flange to mate to the prop to my diff just now while my bank balnce recovers enough to replace the diff!

Last night and today I spent stripping it down for a thorough clean and inspection. I painted the box and a few other bits with VHT aluminium and I am really pleased with how it came up! In my opinion VHT sprays are the best bar none. Did a few bits such as the inspection covers and mount in satin black but forgot to get pictures. The prop cleaned up like new so never touched that.

Cleaning

Masking done

Job done! Ready for fitting on Monday/Tuesday along with some nice other parts i have ordered in the past couple of weeks:)

Edited by Cam27 (see edit history)

Today the w58 driveline was removed, only took an hour which was good. Surprisingly the clutch and flywheel looked fine so the failure was solely in the box itself! I Took the oppurtunity to get some comparison shots 5spd vs 6spd

The lightwight flywheel that came with the box turned out to have a bad friction surface, there were deep grooves and lips in it so i decided to have it skimmed. Luckily my trusty mechanic recently purchased a skimming machine so i took the oppurtinty to have ago.

I still have the big 3.5" custom exhaust i bought last year so I am hopefull to get that fitted this week as well, there will be a bit of fabrication to make it where it meets the downpipe, hopefully not too much though.

Nice work on that spray job there. box looks new and should give you many happy miles I hope. They say the V160 as it is in that photo weighs 55kg mate. In comparison to the W58, what you think the W58 weighs? I have carried an auto with fluid in in and a W58 and the auto A340e is much heavier than the W58.

I decided today the flywheel that came with my gearbox was not going on my car, it was too far gone. I have ordered a new one from Toyota which should arrive Thursday. I'm not happy as they are very expensive!

I did get some nice goodies in the post though. New xxr lug nuts, new Nardi gear knob to match my steering wheel, new pas reservoir and hoses and shifter tripod bushes from Toyota.

Also a set of Meister R coilovers. I started fitting the coilovers this afternoon.

Today we set about fabricating the big exhaust i bought last year to fit. The exhaust is 3.5" and my downpipe is 3" so a reducer was required. Started off by chopping the flange off the exhaust and then using the flange off my tb development midpipe before the reducer (much to Tim's disgust haha). Really pleasef with it, can't wait to hear how it sounds!

I collected the new flywheel from Toyota this morning but i didn't have the correct bolts so it wasn't possible to fit it. I did manage to change the oil and fit the new diff flange and pas reservoir though

After a long 3 months the car is now back on the road! The V161 install was completed yesterday, and went relatively smoothly. I have to say thanks to Paul Whiffin for getting a new set of flywheel bolts out to me in less than 24 hours!

The plug on the reverse light switch didn't fit, so i took the old one off the w58, the speed sensor was the same so no problem there.

I will need to change my Nardi gearknob as i doesn't fit with the pushdown reverse collar, nor does the gaiter, so i test drove the car with the bare stick haha.

I was concerned with the gear ratios on the A01B diff but I am happy with it, the car accelerates so hard now!

I also fitted a new set of Goodyear eagle f1s to the front wheels, set the ride height on the Meister Rs and fitted the new Xxr wheelnuts. I am collecting the car in the morning so will be giving him a good detail tomorrow!

Nice work on that spray job there. box looks new and should give you many happy miles I hope. They say the V160 as it is in that photo weighs 55kg mate. In comparison to the W58, what you think the W58 weighs? I have carried an auto with fluid in in and a W58 and the auto A340e is much heavier than the W58.

The V161 and W58 weigh roughly the same, 55-60kg ish

Some nice work done there mate. that exhaust looks the business man. That v160 of yours looks similar to a setup I saw not so long ago somewhere over seas. Wonder if you shop from where I do? What you pay for the entire setup if I may ask?

Thanks mate, the whole setup was imported from Japan for €5k

Ah I thought so. Always nice when they have them like that complete for sale. There is one going now at roughly $10k but has all the parts as well. Two others sold for $3.7k just the box and $6.5k with a propshaft and a box that had a 3rd to 4th gear issue. Guess there are people around the world who want them regardless hey.

You say it weighs the same more or less? Damn my A340e is heavier than that. Thanks for the info mate.

• 5 weeks later...

I never had a chance to update this last month so will do now. Picked the car up on a cold winter's morning, it was a good feeling to have it back to full health! Sounds more aggresive on idle with the new exhaust.

After a thoroughly needed clean i took some shots with the new ride height. Not only is the car more comfortable and drivable, i think it looks better too!

To finish off the new gearbox I ordered a new oem 6 speed knob and Nardi leather gaiter, much better!