The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam's Supra Build

Cam27

Exciting times! I've seen some things about the speedo with the gearboxes and them running different systems to the v16* how do people get around this to get the speedo working?

Love this build be great to see this at Wroxall :)

Thanks mate, I have enjoyed following your build as well! Really looking forward to Wroxhall!

The solution to the speedo is to run the vehicle speed sensor from the diff, but you will need an aftermarket ECU to make it work. Frazer at Gyrodrift is a Link dealer so I am going with the Link G4+ plug and play.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I mentioned before I bought an HKS T04R turbo for my single converion a few weeks ago. I managed to pick it up for a great price but as it is 2nd hand the seller offered to send it off to midland turbo along with his T51 for an inspection.

After speaking to Liam at midland turbo I decided it would be a good idea to have it rebuilt with new bearings and seals, which also comes with a 2 year warranty. As it is pretty old design i was concerned about lag so i asked for a price on fitting a billet compressor wheel to hybrid it, and was surprised at how good the price was so pulled the trigger on fitting that too. The billet wheel had to be ordered from America (from Garret i guess) so delayed the process a bit but was well worth it.

Unfortunately it never arrived before i headed back to work, but arrived today, and the mrs unboxed it to send me pictures. It also came with new gaskets and fittings which was a nice touch. I am dying to mock it up on the manifold but will have to wait a few weeks until I am home.

With the 1.0 a/r and 1000cc injectors i am shooting for 650-700bhp with this setup:d

Edited by Cam27 (see edit history)

Nice, looks large too.

I bet the rebuild on that wasn't cheap.

Yeah it does look quite hefty! 150 for the rebuild and 200 for the hybrid mate, not bad really.

Just finished reading this through, great thread and awesome looking Supra, good work. I love the wheels, I think they set the whole car off :cool:

Thanks very much man, yeah the wheels are awesome! I will have to be careful with them as i very much doubt i will find a replacement!

• 1 month later...

I had a bit of a delay updating this thread as the fething gaks at photobucket saw fit to remove all the images from 3rd party sites, so spent the past few days re-attaching over 200 pictures!

So after getting home last week after a month away I began the very time consuming process of tapping out the threads in my wheels which i checked at work were M7x1.0, decided i might as well do it in comfort (my living room) much to the Mrs' disgust:D

After the heatwave a couple weeks back my front lip had bleached a fair bit to light grey which looked pants so used some Auto Glym back to black type stuff on it, good as new! did the seals as well while i was at it.

Cumbria Auto Show was on Sunday, good turn out and glad to see Jamie Fosta's car in the show hall. It was a good day for us retaining the best club stand trophy from last year :)

This week I have been getting on with converting my catch tank to stage 3. I made up the braided lines and welded on the fittings, so all that needs doing now is to weld the fittings on the cam covers and move the loom. I think i might as well wait until the single conversion to fit it now.

This past weekend the mrs & I headed down to Wroxall for the S Club Party with Drift Bear. It was definitely worth the long drive down, we had an excellent time and met a lot of members, some of whom I had spoken to before, others not. I thought I would share a few pictures of the event, there were some unbelievable cars there! A massive thanks to Burna and Darren for the effort put in to organising it!

I picked up a 3" V band down pipe for my single build, I think it's from Suprastore. I really should be going 4", or at least 3 1/2" with my setup but until I have funds to change the whole exhaust system this will do the job. Plan is to cut the flange off the mid pipe and weld the V band on.

I got the turbo, manifold and exhaust mocked up. I had to rotate the housing to clear no.1 runner, but no worries, as it let me get a look at the billet wheel:)

Also made up the -10an drain line, but left the tail so it is correct when mounted. I think i will probably have to chop the intake pipe a bit as it is a little long.

This week I hope to get the manifold and downpipe wrapped, and get the oil feed line sorted out. Then a few odds and ends like the wastegates, turbo blanket and drain flange for the block and the hot side is pretty much ready to go!

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a billet aluminium number plate holder a few weeks back from Venom automotive in Australia which arrived last week. Really nice piece, better than my original one which had seen better days! It doesn't have the lip like the oem one so you don't have to cut the plate if you don't want to. So got that fitted as well as replacing a lot of the screws in the engine bay with some password jdm dress up screws and washers.

It was the Scottish Car Show at the weekend, which was also the debut of Street Kings, which is a brand that Westy, Drift Bear and MT came up with. I was on their stand in the main hall and the quality of cars we had were amazing! A lot of Supras from forum members but also a bunch of other JDM icons. Some new Matt black Livery for my car as well which i love! Picked up a detailing kit from Angel was whilst I was there, heard great things about their products. Also managed to crack my sideskirt on a poxy speedbump!

I spent the afternoon wrapping my exhaust manifold in DEI titanium exhaust wrap. It looked a bit daunting due to the pipework being complicated but i watched a tutorial and youtube and took my time. Pretty pleased with how it came out :)

I bought a complete HKS fuel system from Brazil (Luiz) when he broke his car, which consisted of fuel rail, 1000cc injectors, cooler, fuel pressure regulator and lines. This was ideal for me as he was running a very similar setup to what i am going for. Unfortunately there was a breakdown in communication and i only received the rail and injectors as the rest had been sold with the shell which was sitting at SRD. After a couple of months back and forth the cooler has been found and is on it's way but the rest is missing so i will have to buy that new.

The rail has been chromed but was a bit tatty so gave it a good polish :)

To make up for the missing items Luiz offered to sell his exhaust at a bargain price. It's a 3.5" one piece custom job with HKS back box. This will be ideal for me as my 3" system would restrict the turbo. Should sound mental! :D

Good updates mate nd some good work. Car is looking great. What does it sound like with that exhaust, I'm guessing it's LOUD.

Thanks very much mate! The exhaust is still sitting at SRD just now, the pictures are from Brazil's car. I am also guessing it will be loud!:D

A couple more bits and pieces for the Single build arrived this week, first of all a Syvecs Inconel EGT sensor. Being inconel there is less chance of it breaking and destroying the turbine so happy with that. Also got the oil feed and drain lines fitted, I left the tails so they can be cropped to length when fitted, I want a neat engine bay! Also picked up the oil drain flange for the sump flange from Whifbitz, I'm a bit annoyed that it didn't come with a gasket or fixings, especially at the price! Lastly a titanium weave turbo blanket from Funk motorsport, apparently they supply some WRC teams. Looks to be good quality.

I ordered a Nardi Gara steering wheel and quick release boss from Driftworks which arrived today. Fairly easy install and the quick release is solid with no play, great. The wheel looks much better than my old Momo one, classier. The only thing is now the wheel sits a lot farther away from the indicator stalks, it will take a bit of getting used to!

As you can see in the pictures my seats have faded pretty badly! Apparently this is my fault for leaving the car out in sunlight!? Unbelievable, I live in Scotland flip sakes!

Anyway I dropped the car off at the garage today as I am heading back to work so hopefully the next time I drive him it will be 6 speed:d

Looking awesome mate. Jealous of the setup you're going for!

Thanks buddy! You know you want to go single...haha

Looks awesome Cam. Keep up the good work :thumbs:

/QUOTE]

Thanks Josh, enjoyed reading you magazine feature a couple months back, great car!

• 5 weeks later...

For a while now the brake booster vaccuum line in my engine bay has been bugging me, it is terrible looking! Whilst i have been away working i thought about replacing it with a braided line, so I ordered up the parts and set about installing it today. It is -6an with a non-return valve and held with clamps in the stock locations. Really chuffed with it, it's a big improvement in my eyes.

I had resigned myself to the fact i couldn't afford to run a Syvecs ECU, but I was really lucky that CarlM was selling his setup so I snapped it up immediately! So my ECU setup for the single build now looks like this:

Syvecs S6 GP

Syvecs 2JZ loom adapter

Syvecs sensor wiring loom

Syvecs Cal switch x2

Syvecs Inconel EGT sensor

Pierburg 3 port boost solenoid

NTK wideband 02 sensor

Titan 3.5bar MAP sensor

Titan 10bar Oil pressure sensor

Titan 10bar Fuel pressure sensor

Bosch oil temp sensor

Analogue to digital signal convertor for ABS

Whifbitz oil sandwich plate

All that i have left to get is a toucan and canbus.

Picked up a bunch of service items for the engine as well, not exciting but essential nonetheless.

Oem crank pulley and bolt

Oem water pump

Oem thermostat

Oem crankcase vent hoses

Oem timing belt tensioner and idler bearing

Oem coilpacks x6 (used but really good nick)

Oem cambelt (won't be used as i will use a gates racing kevlar boy)

Also picked up a Greddy style clear cam cover, not looking forward to cutting my carbon cover!

Hopefully looking to start the build next month!

Last weekend I went on the Applecross trip up to the Scottish highlands and the Isle of Skye. On the first night I unfortunately buckled a wheel so that was the end of my Supra's participation! I have to say a big thanks to Shawn Preece who stayed with me to get things sorted out and loaned me his car for the rest of the weekend, what a guy! Anyway it was still a great weekend with a good bunch of guys.

I am going to try get the wheel straightened at the weekend, if that's not possible then I will try source a new barrel for it. The snag is Trafficstar don't produce my wheels anymore, so worst case scenario I may have to buy a new set of wheels! Lets hope it doesn't come to that.

Whilst the car is off the road I thought I may as well get on with some jobs. First up was the perspex cover for the cam gears, which involved cutting my carbon cover! I was scared to mess this up as it would be an expensive mistake but turned out well thankfully:D

Next up was removing the cam covers to attach the fittings for the braided breather lines. I drilled out the baffle rivets to remove them to make sure they are 100% clean before refitting. Just have to tap the holes and get the fittings welded on. I attempted to move the loom on the driver's side today but it runs all the way to the battery so left it for now.

My new exhaust arrived a couple weeks ago. One piece 3.5" with HKS Silent Hi-Power box. It looks awesome, but was an absolute mission to get shipped due to the size. It is pretty well scraped in places, but the seller conveniently forgot to mention that!

Last weekend I went on the Applecross trip up to the Scottish highlands and the Isle of Skye. On the first night I unfortunately buckled a wheel so that was the end of my Supra's participation! I have to say a big thanks to Shawn Preece who stayed with me to get things sorted out and loaned me his car for the rest of the weekend, what a guy! Anyway it was still a great weekend with a good bunch of guys.

I am going to try get the wheel straightened at the weekend, if that's not possible then I will try source a new barrel for it. The snag is Trafficstar don't produce my wheels anymore, so worst case scenario I may have to buy a new set of wheels! Lets hope it doesn't come to that.

https://s25.postimg.org/t03nk69tb/received_10154656952846277.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/c78e807qn/20170825_162109.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/sr62u8x0v/20170825_161340.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/wifngkapb/IMG-20170826-_WA0001.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/iidlof8z3/20170825_204431.jpg

Whilst the car is off the road I thought I may as well get on with some jobs. First up was the perspex cover for the cam gears, which involved cutting my carbon cover! I was scared to mess this up as it would be an expensive mistake but turned out well thankfully:D

https://s25.postimg.org/fdycdw2sv/20170830_175418.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/g4vnxeujz/20170830_184759.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/9jecjwpbj/20170830_184811.jpg

Next up was removing the cam covers to attach the fittings for the braided breather lines. I drilled out the baffle rivets to remove them to make sure they are 100% clean before refitting. Just have to tap the holes and get the fittings welded on. I attempted to move the loom on the driver's side today but it runs all the way to the battery so left it for now.

https://s25.postimg.org/7ca3vzk1b/20170830_200135.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/qg3fcbwvj/20170830_200324.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/3np0a8ze7/20170831_154232.jpg

My new exhaust arrived a couple weeks ago. One piece 3.5" with HKS Silent Hi-Power box. It looks awesome, but was an absolute mission to get shipped due to the size. It is pretty well scraped in places, but the seller conveniently forgot to mention that!

https://s25.postimg.org/ylq2o8ai7/20170831_160909.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/e06pil3jj/20170831_160851.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/lzfnre81b/20170831_160818.jpg

Your welcome mate just glad you got it sorted and back ok :)

p.s. loving the the clear cam pulley cover going into the carbon, iv got a carbon one and also a clear one too so is giving me ideas as love the way its came out :)

Over the past few days i have been trying unsuccessfully to find a company to fix my wheel. Everyone i spoke to said it was too damaged. So my brother-in law and I decided to have a go at sorting it, nothing to lose right?

We started by welding a pipe vertically to the bench as a point to jack from, and gently used a hydraulic jack and a little heat to press it back in to shape.

Measuring around the circumference the wheel is within 0.5mm all the way round, pretty much perfect! Then it was just a matter of putting the tyre on and fitting it to the car. I haven't driven it yet as the engine is partially dismantled but i am confident it will be good.

At the same time as fixing the wheel I got the -10an fittings welded to the cam covers. Then went about reinstalling the baffles after a meticulous clean. I also gave them a good polish while they were off.

I think i have shot myself in the foot a bit doing this now as the tt vac lines are in the way of how i want to route the hoses! I will figure it out tomorrow as the rain halted progress today.

Your welcome mate just glad you got it sorted and back ok :)

p.s. loving the the clear cam pulley cover going into the carbon, iv got a carbon one and also a clear one too so is giving me ideas as love the way its came out :)

Yeah go for it mate! Will look great on your monster build!

nice work on the wheel. I think i'd be worried about the strength of it in future though. Perhaps keep an eye out for some replacements in the mean time

Thanks Ric, I agree, I am trying to source a new barrel at the moment. At least the car is back on the road in the mean time.