The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam's Supra Build

Cam27

Nice write up mate I'll be keeping an eye on this. Can't thank you enough for bringing the spats down on your travels true gent! Ive got my car all fixed now, and dropped it off today to get my single conversion mapped along with a few extras. Think I'm going to have to order a set of those mats too they look awesome

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice write up mate I'll be keeping an eye on this. Can't thank you enough for bringing the spats down on your travels true gent! Ive got my car all fixed now, and dropped it off today to get my single conversion mapped along with a few extras. Think I'm going to have to order a set of those mats too they look awesome

Not a problem mate, happy to help! That is awesome you got it all sorted, what single set up are you going with?

Those seats look great! What's the quality of those Megan racing arms you've got? Never seen them on a supra before

/QUOTE]

Thanks mate, i hadn't seen them before either! The quality looks good from first impression, but i will have a better idea when they are on the car.

• 4 weeks later...

Not as big an update as I had hoped for today but some progress has been made with the Supe! Got hold of a set of used ABS sensors for £60 from Australia (much better than the £800 Mr. T wanted! Really?) So they are now fitted. The front subframe is installed and looks really well. I was hopefull to get the car back by Christmas but unfortunately the Soarer rear subframe has a totally different sway bar mount than the Supra so it has to be modified to fit. I decided to order a new Supra sway bar rather than fit the Soarer one as they are mounted to the chasis. Also thought I had better order new diff ear bushes as every other bush is brand new!

New front subframes mounted.

I took a trip down to Keron’s for the seized subframe bolts, as my local Toyota really messed me about and delayed the work by weeks! Also picked up a new carpet, as my car doesn’t have a stock carpet, a replacement fuel tank cover and weather strips for the doors.

My dog tried to claim the carpet as his new bed!

Tank cover after cleaning the dirt and grime off.

Primed.

Not perfect but much better.

So hopefully by this time next week I will have the car back, and get a four wheel alignment done. I have a lot of work to do to it myself installing the carpet, rollcage and harnesses as well as a few other bits and pieces. I have provisionally bought a full carbon Shine auto diffuser as well!

Edited by Cam27 (see edit history)

The car was ready to be picked up today after spending 9 weeks in the garage. The front end of the car went very smoothly, installed no problem. There was a little trouble with the rear end, mainly due to the Soarer rear anti-roll bar was designed to mount to the chasis and not the subframe. The solution was to change the subframe mounts back to my original Supra ones and use my Supra anti-roll bar with Soarer end links, so that will need replaced/refurbished down the line, as well as my diff casing as I ran out of time/patience for it to be refurbed. Also the Soarer handbrake cables were too long so got new ones, and had to transfer my old wheel studs as they are extended ones to clear the brakes.

I got my RMM V2 lip fitted whilst the car was in the garage and it looked really well when I went to collect the car.

The drive home was a bit nerve-wracking as the car desperately needs a 4 wheel alignment with all the new suspension parts, but it will be the weekend before I can get it done. The steering is much improved with the new rack, a lot more precise and responsive. The car felt firmer, but the ride was not uncomfortable (I thought it might be with all poly bushes).

There was a nice package waiting in the boot as well, a pair of genuine Takata 3" 4-point harnesses!

Once I got home it was straight in to fitting new parts I have had waiting. First up was a Tanabe rear strut brace, I ordered from Htune, a company local to me (check out their website, great prices on JDM parts, and can special order stuff from Japan).

I may have have mounted it the wrong way round, but it fits much better this way, and I can’t see it being any less effective. I’m chuffed that the trims fit over without any cutting. I will try fit the carpet underneath for a neater finish.

Tomorrow will be a busy day stripping out the interior to test fit the half cage from Fosta, as well as fit new carpet and mats, armrests and side mouldings. I am going to reinstall the OEM seats temporarily as the seat brackets i bought for Status buckets sit way too high, so I will modify them to sit low to the floor. I am also adding a harness bar to the rollcage to mount the harnesses, just need to work out the best way to do it one it is test fitted.

Started to Strip the Interior to test fit my Fosta rollcage, I was surprised to discover that the mats had been glued to the carpet, but the carpet under the mats was grey? Turns out there was generic black carpet glued to the old carpet in the visible places! Needless to say the whole lot got chucked as I had the new black carpet from Keron

Interior stripped out

In the middle of that, my TRD wing showed up and I couldn't resist test fitting it there and then! Fitment seems good. Supra's just don't look right spoilerless!

The snow scuppered my efforts yesterday so today set about re-installing the interior. New carpet in, as well as the new mats, which look awesome. I am going to replace most of the fasteners for the interior as they are old and grubby/damaged, small details make a difference.

My original plan was to sell the whole retrimmed stock interior as a set, it looks good but orange isn't my favourite colour tbh, and i would have to buy replacements which defeats the purpose. Tonight i am dying the orange trim black. I will still sell the front seats and boot carpet though, and the mats.

Hopefully tomorrow i can get the wheel alignment done, replace the outside door moldings as they are damaged and get the rest of the interior back in.

Did you remove the damping adjuster on your coilovers to allow the plastic trim to fit back on?

No I didn't have to, they fit over the top no problem.

Went for Parrys old set up in the end a precision 6766

Awesome mate, that will put down some serious power!

jesus what a bodge that carpet was! good on you mate turning it around. Have to say your car looks epic spoilerless!

Thanks Jake, it was a mess! Good to get these things sorted properly. My mate said the same thing, but i guess a Supra without a spoiler is a Marmite kind of thing, you either love it or hate it!

Great looking car mate and liking wot uv done since uv owned it! I seen it at the Dumfries show but didn't manage to get a chat with u as I got called out. My supra was sitting outside my house opposite park farm.

Thanks mate, hopefully get to blether next time!

A little bit of progress has been made over the past week. The seat brackets I got from the states had a pretty horrible driving position, way too high. In fact they sat so high that when folding them forward to access the back they hit the headliner! Anyway, my brother in law is a welder-fabricator so we spent last Saturday afternoon cutting them up and welding them back together. We took roughly 35mm off the height, and the seating position is perfect now, really pleased. Once they were back in I couldn’t resist test fitting the harnesses, they are awesome!

Went a trip down near Bristol on Sunday to pick up a Shine Auto diffuser from Jody, really looking forward to fitting this although it didn’t come with brackets or fasteners so I will have make them. It doesn't look it in the picture but it is carbon. Also got done speeding in my Audi down there, flip sakes!

I got in the car the other morning and after pulling away I heard a horrible noise coming from underneath! Ah flip sakes, I honestly though 1st gear had exploded, but after pulling over and having a look turns out my expansion tank had decided to fall off and was dragging under the wheel! No harm done then, but I thought it was a good excuse to order a shiny SRD boy. Really happy with how this looks. Also got bonnet lifters from Whifbitz i fitted today.

When i went to get the wheels aligned the guy couldn't get the back wheels within the limits on camber. Now the only non-Supra part on the car since getting all the suspension, subframes and steering renewed are the rear lower control arms, which are from a soarer. Turns out although they look the same they are slightly longer! Jeez Louise it feels like a never ending saga now! So i told him no problem i will refurbish my old ones and we can change them back. So today i took them off my old subframe and they are fugged, the ball joints are shot. There is no way I am putting them back on so i am going to have to bite the bullet and order new ones, which is annoying as they are not cheap at all. Also I ordered new droplinks for the back, so hopefully by next weekend they should be changed out and my wheels bloody aligned! lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been quite busy lately getting on with my job list for the car. I finally got around to sorting the how the rear strut brace sits with the boot carpet, luckily it was a really easy fix, two small slits with a Stanley blade for the mounting points to poke through and that was that! Pleased with how it turned out.

Got a windshield banner/sunstrip fitted as well, matt black. Not exactly how i asked for it (i wanted it square along the bottom) but it will do the job.

I picked up a TT rear anti-roll bar and got it and the mounts blasted and powder coated, my scabby one was annoying me! Got that fitted when i went back to get the alignment done.

I dropped off my sideskirts and wing pillars at the paint shop i have used in the past. I knew the name of the paint was Toyota Dark Grey Pearl but i needed the code for him, which after quite a bit on google managed to find (1E0) and was surprised it is an Aygo colour bahaha! There was about 8 variations that all looked the same to me so let him match it to the car. The painter didn't want to be fething about with 20 year old 2nd hand sideskirts but did it as a favour for me. Now he is a grumpy guy at the best of times but he was raging by the time i collected them! 2 days of prep work before they were right to paint! Anyway, they look brilliant. Managed to get the wing mounted today and hopefully the skirts will go on tomorrow :)

I managed to fit my oem sideskirts at last, only had them since last September! I love the look of these, car looks much better with the sides the same height as the front. I don’t know if it’s because they are plastic, or because it’s fresh, but the paint seems slightly lighter than the rest of the car. Ah well, it will stay like it is so no point worrying about it.

That is the look of the car pretty much how I want it now, the only thing left is the diffuser, which I am 90% sure is not going to fit under my exhaust. The whifbitz has a fairly steep angle and the backbox is hefty! We will see.

I got in the car the other day and the warning light was on, after a quick look the brake fluid was low, strange. Anyway topped it up and after driving a few miles it came on again, ah, f*ck sake losing fluid somewhere. Then my brake pedal pretty much went to the floor, not a nice feeling at all.

At first thought it might be the master cylinder as i couldn't see any fluid under the car (rain didn't help) but after taking it off for a look it was fine. Finally found the braided hose n/s rear had split. I had a pair of Hel lines and a bottle of dot 5.1 at home so it was an easy enough fix. i have to agree with Chris Wilson's opinion on Hel lines, the fitment is not the best for a Supra, but they will do in the meantime until i get a set of Goodridges. Gave the brakes a good clean whilst I was at it.

I received a nice parcel from the states this morning, full of clips and screws for the interior. I got them from lakeland toyota (http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/) great website, as they have all the drawings and part numbers. I am boycotting my local Toyota dealers as they are useless, and their prices are insane. Most of the time you have to wait 2 weeks for your parts to come so why not just order from the states!

This week i managed to install my rear diffuser, and to be honest it was a bit of a nightmare.

To start with I fixed the center divider to the main body with pop rivets, mainly because i prefer how they look. Next i fitted the side mounts that go where the hockey sticks are mounted. Now, the Shine Auto diffusers have indents as a guide for where to drill, so i drilled there. Turns out they don't correspond to the oem holes at all, flip sakes. Anyway, after two days fething around with them they were mounted, although I am not 100% happy with the fitment, they are as good as they can be.

I mainly followed the guide that Westy (I think) shared on here for installation. So the next step was offering the diffuser up and getting the measurements to make the front brackets (i never received any with it). This was probably a blessing though, as i could angle it to clear my exhaust! Also got the holes drilled for the side mounts.

So after making up the brackets and painting them and the fasteners black it was ready to install. The installation went smoothly, i always had in my mind that people say if it is installed well it looks awesome but installed badly it ruins the look of the rear of the car! So i took my time to get it right.

I decided that I didnt want to mount the rear with brackets like Shine do as i don't like the bolts going sideways through the centre section, they always seem to catch your eye! So i decided to mount it directly to the rear bumper with a rubber washer in between (I think JamieP did it a similar way).

I'm really happy with the finished result, it sits well. Lowers the rear of the car nicely to bring it more in line with the skirts.

Car looks great.

Thanks very much Annabella

Body styling is looking very similar to mine now! Stunning car. :cool: youve taken this car to another level

Thanks mate, I just re-read your thread and yeah it is similar! Certain combinations just work well though, rmm lip with oem skirts is timeless. The paintwork on your car puts mine to shame though, I will need to get polishing:D

Thanks very much Annabella

Thanks mate, I just re-read your thread and yeah it is similar! Certain combinations just work well though, rmm lip with oem skirts is timeless. The paintwork on your car puts mine to shame though, I will need to get polishing:D

Yeah mate most people go away from the oem skirts these days but I'm a big fan. I just need to source my TRD now to.

Cheers dude,

What's next on the list for yours.

Looking great buddy

Cheers buddy!

Yeah mate most people go away from the oem skirts these days but I'm a big fan. I just need to source my TRD now to.

Cheers dude,

What's next on the list for yours.

/QUOTE]

Next on the list is fitting my rollcage mate, then that will be me done for a while to save up for a new gearbox! What about you?

I got my TRD wing from Andre Stefan, £359 delivered, maybe worth giving him a shout?

I collected my old front subframe to bring home and strip down the other day. A lot of people didn't get why I decided to replace the entire subframe/suspension on my car, well this is the reason! I didn't think it would be as bad but it was a lucky break i decided to remove it! so if you haven't checked the condition of yours maybe worth a look.

A couple of boy racers drew up along side me as i was parking last week and told me my exhaust was hanging off! Turns out one of the bolts had worked loose and came out so it swung down, luckily wasn't touching the ground though. Found the gasket was split as well so replaced that whilst i was at it.

I've had my rollcage for a while now so this week wanted to get it in, which meant the interior had to come out again. Pleased that it goes in and my seats still fit, awesome. It is going to need a bit of modification as the feet aren't sitting properly on the floor pan or wheel arches, but that's ok as it's going to get the harness bar fitted on Saturday anyway. I am toying with the idea of modifying my old front anti-roll bar and using it as a harness bar, it's not that far off what i am wanting! recycling and all that:d

Whilst the interior was stripped out it was the perfect time to do some sound deadening. I ordered the bulk pack of Silent Coat (40 sheets of 457x287 i think) and it was the perfect amount to do the entire floor pan. It is basically the same as Dynamat but a lot cheaper. Gave the floor pan a thorough cleaning and spent the next two days fitting it (along with 500 paper cuts!).

Also got some new speakers for the rear, 3-way 6.5" Pioneers that were ex-display.

The suede trim on my rear quarters was really faded by the sun, i mean it had turned from black to green, check out the mark where the seatbelt sits! I had to cut them for the legs of the cage to go through anyway so i stripped the suede off and have ordered some new fabric to re-trim them. I have the old stuff to use as a template so should be easy enough.

Last but not least my Fota Hoodlock arrived for the show season.