The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam's Supra Build

Cam27

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past couple of weeks i have not accomplished very much with the car, although i did manage to get the catch tank mounted. It was a tight squeeze routing the hoses with the vac lines in the way but it'll be neater when they are gone. Also fitted a new oem upper timing cover (finally got rid of the orange!), I also have a new lower cover but don't have the access to fit it at the moment. Excuse the loom, i was going to tuck it until i realised it ran all the way round to the battery, so just moved it aside for the time being.

I Picked up a 4 row SRD fmic to replace my 3 row, polished up well! Also an Aeromotive FPR, a complet oem gasket kit and a new oem oil pump.

I placed the last order for the single build with Paul Whiffin on Friday and it arrived today. Included the twin Turbosmart wastegates, intercooler pipes, ARP head studs, Gates racing kevlar timing belt, HKS V belt, Walbro 485 fuel pump and a K&N breather filter for IACV. I asked Hodge to make up my fuel lines and they should arrive soon too.

I dropped the car off today for the single build, which will start next week! I'm feeling a bit nervous about it but I'm sure it will go well! I thought I would share the complete spec list, if anyone has any suggestions that would be welcome!

Turbo System

HKS T04R Turbo, rebuilt with larger billet hybrid compressor wheel

Whifbitz twin wastegate manifold

2x Turbosmart compgate 40mm wastegates

Twin screamers

Braided oil feed and return lines (-4an/-10an)

4" Polished intake with K&N filter

Whifbitz 3" single turbo fmic pipes

SRD 4 row fmic

3" V band downpipe

Custom 3.5" one piece exhaust with HKS backbox

Engine

Complete engine refresh with oem gasket kit

New oem oil pump

New oem water pump

New oem crank pulley

New oem timing belt tensioner

New oem thermostat

Gates racing kevlar timing belt

HKS V belt

HKS camshafts 256/264

HKS adjustable cam gears

ARP head studs

Whifbitz catch tank with -10an braided breather lines

Fuelling

Walbro 485 fuel pump

-8an teflon braided feed line, splitting to 2x -6an feeds to fuel rail, -6an return line. Lines made by Hodge

Polished HKS fuel rail

HKS (denso/sard) 1000cc top feed injectors

Aeromotive FPR

ECU & Electronics

Syvecs S6 GP ECU

Syvecs S6 to 2JZ loom adapter

Syvecs loom to 4x sensor

Syvecs cal switch x2

Syvecs Inconel EGT sensor

Pierburg 3 port boost solenoid

NTK wideband O2 sensor with loom

Titan 3.5 bar MAP sensor

Titan 10 bar oil pressure sensor

Titan 10 bar fuel pressure sensor

Bosch oil temp sensor

Analogue/digital ABS signal converters

Whifbitz oil sandwich plate

Toucan display

I think that is a pretty comprehensive spec for my power goal, which is 650-700bhp. I could have went further with forging the internals and an aftermarket intake plenum, but that can be done down the line :)

Edited by Cam27 (see edit history)

Looking awesome mate, watching with interest!

Glad you got yours wheel fixed

Thank you mate, i will give you a shout when the polished pipework is off if you are still interested in it?

Great work mate. It doesn't look too bad in first instance, seen a LOT worse. Ģuess the proof will be on the first drive up to 100 leptons!

/QUOTE]

All good in the hood buddy, no vibrations after some spirited driving!

Quality parts mate gunna be an awesome build, should easily see 650-700bhp with that especially on ethanol :) keep the updates coming :)

Thanks mate, fingers crossed! I'm not going to chase numbers, as long as it drives great i will be happy :)

Are you still running the w58 box ? Haven't see a clutch upgrade

I am changing the box for a 6 speed mate, the w58 would last 5 minutes with a single. I bought a getrag 420g conversion (e46 m3) from Frazer at Gyrodrift/Hidden Performance but it never arrived, trying to get a refund atm. I will have to get another one!

looking great dude, lovely collection of parts too!

Thanks mate, hopefully all goes smoothly :)

• 4 weeks later...

Not too much has been happening with the car over the past month, just waiting for the garage to finish some other jobs before starting work on mine. I went down to grab the ECU out of it, and was more than a little surprised to find out it was for a tt auto!? My car has never been auto, but must have been fitted with na-tt swap. No harm done anyway, the car always ran well! Whilst I was there i took the new injectors home and gave them a service with new seals, as i noticed the dust boots were in bad condition. My fuel lines arrived as well, really impressed with the quality of these, should do the job nicely! I just need to get the short hose from the rail return to the fpr made up.

Today was a good day, as i received the first items for my gearbox conversion! I actually paid for the whole kit 5 months ago, so to finally receive some parts is a relief! The adapter plate and flywheel arrived today, they are from the PMC Motorsports kit and are really nice quality. I specified the twin plate Sachs clutch as it is rated to 750nm, so should hold up to the single turbo power. So as it stands I am waiting for the clutch to come back in stock, which will be delivered with the other parts, which are; the gearbox, the prop and speed sensor. Fingers crossed they arrive soon.

Looking good bud getting to the exciting stage now :)

I'd imagine it was easier to find the auto ECU than a manual one at the time as from what Iv heard they are exactly the same apart from the auto one also going to the gearbox so can just chop those and is no difference at all, my white one was still using the UK auto ECU when I got it and that was manual :)

• 2 months later...

I thought it was about time to give an update on progress with my car as I have been pretty quiet the past few months. As some of you may know, I have decided not to go ahead with the plans for the single turbo 6 speed conversion. This is mostly due to financial reasons, as my contract was cut short unexpectedly at work, and i didn't want to put myself in a stressful position because of my car. I had a long think about what I wanted out of my car, and keeping it on the hybrids was the right call for me.

My BMW Getrag 420G gearbox has finally shown up! Although I am still missing the clutch and a couple small bits, which hopefully will arrive soon. I think I will sell this kit on, as I have completely lost interest in it after waiting so long for it to arrive, and there is no real need now i am staying on the twins. I did pick up a Spec Stage 3+ for the 5 speed in the Whifbitz Black Friday sale though. I'm really looking forward to not having a ridiculously heavy pedal from the Competion Clutch stage 4, and a clutch that doesn't slip on boost!

I sold my fuel system for the single kit as it would have been overkill for my power level, but i still wanted to replace the fuel lines as they are corroded. I bought another set of braided fuel lines from Hodge to replace the stock ones, this time his oem replacement kit which is -6an teflon braided lines and fittings for the stock rail and tank fittings. These are great quality, looking forward to getting them on. I will remove the pulsation damper and retain the oem regulator.

Work started on my car today after a long wait. In addition to the clutch and fuel lines, I am still going ahead with a lot of the planned maintenance replacing the oil and water pumps, crank pulley, thermostat, belt tensioner, timing and V belts, full oem gasket kit including head gasket and valve stem seals. I think the engine will be pulled from the car to make this easier.

I have kept some goodies to put in still, such as the HKS camshafts and gears, the 4 row fmic and the one piece exhaust.

I am also getting some niggles sorted out such as straightening the sills, fixing an a/c leak, and tucking the driver side loom to get it out the way of my catch tank.

I am really looking forward to getting the car back and enjoying it this year with a clean bill of health, I haven't driven it since September really!

Now that work has started on the car progress has been good. The engine is now out the car and stripped down, everything came apart easily and nothing was seized which is good. There is some slight corrosion on the block and head so they are off to get skimmed to be on the safe side, along with the flywheel as there is a couple of heat spots on it. The clutch was done, Scott described it as "1mm off the rivets" so it is good timing to fit the new one. The block is being steam cleaned this afternoon so should look a lot prettier when it goes back in :)

• 2 weeks later...

Collected my head and block today after a slight delay due to the machinist being ill, but it was worth the wait as it looks to be a great job. I think 0.4mm was taken off the block and 0.1mm off the head. Good to have peace of mind that the faces are perfect for the new head gasket. Excuse the swarf and shavings, they were thoroughly cleaned afterwards. This afternoon Scott my mechanic got all the valve stem seals replaced with new oem ones so hopefully now things will start to pick up with getting the car back together.

Last year my AC stopped blowing cold, i had the gas re-charged but didn't do much good, so i thought there must be a leak somewhere, i managed to get a snap of the problem today so that will get sorted as well.

Also took a look at the old clutch while down visiting my car, no wonder it was slipping on boost!

Nice mate! Think that would explain your clutch! :rlol:

Indeed mate. I always hated that clutch anyway, I am glad it's gone!

She’s getting their bud, can’t beet look of fresh machined block and head [emoji4]

Definitely mate, starting to get the excitement back for the car after being without it for a while now!

Cameron. Can you show me a photo of how you mounted those seat belts of yours behind the seats? My triangular ends are confusing me from waht I should do with them after the bar.

You need to remove the triangular fixings mate. If you undo the end of the belt from the adjuster they will slide off, then you can wrap the belt round the harness bar and back through the adjuster. There is a specific way to do it safely, I have attached a picture of it to make it easier to explain. Hope that helps :)

Edited by Cam27 (see edit history)