The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ABS sensors still available?

Crouch

I checked Japanese availability within the last 2 weeks on all four sensors and only one came back as still available and three are out of stock with no schedule to restock. Effectively out of production. Lots of sites still list a price for all four sensors but then will come back as not currently available.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm trying to work out if installing the ABS hall sensors would be a straight forward job.

I'm running a Syvecs and according to this post by Chris Wilson it would appear that the syvecs can use a digital signal to control the ABS system.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?316889-Traction-Control-and-ABS-analogue-to-digital-converters&highlight=Hall+sensor

My questions are, assuming the Syvecs can utilise the hall digital signal from uprated sensors:

Is there a stand alone ABS ECU, or does the main ECU drive the whole system?

If there is a separate ABS ECU, does it take its signals direct from the wheel speed sensors or via the main ECU?

Does the Syvecs have the ability to run ABS? I suspect not.... Or do you mean traction control? Most after market ECU's expect a digital signal to run traction control, so you either run magnetic sensors and digitize their sine wave to a square wave, or run Hall effect sensor which emit a square wave natively. The only aftermarket ABS ECU I have any experience of is the Bosch Motorsport one, which is breathtakingly good, but also breathtakingly expensive at £7K Sterling. http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/de/de/produkte/catalog_products_1_772244.php

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Does the Syvecs have the ability to run ABS? I suspect not.... Or do you mean traction control? Most after market ECU's expect a digital signal to run traction control, so you either run magnetic sensors and digitize their sine wave to a square wave, or run Hall effect sensor which emit a square wave natively. The only aftermarket ABS ECU I have any experience of is the Bosch Motorsport one, which is breathtakingly good, but also breathtakingly expensive at £7K Sterling. http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/de/de/produkte/catalog_products_1_772244.php

The Syvecs uses the stock abs sensors, so presumably it processes the and signals, but as far as I'm aware it retains the stock abs ecu.

The Syvecs uses the stock abs sensors, so presumably it processes the and signals, but as far as I'm aware it retains the stock abs ecu.

Yep. TC ran fine with my Syvecs on stock ABS sensors a while back, albeit something has gone amiss since the upgrades which I need to datalog with Lee.

Sorry guys that's probably a lack of understanding from me ref traction control and ABS.

I see that in using the hall sensors that the ABS has to be dropped as there is no way (cost effective way) of converting the signal to an analogue one that the ABS ECU could use.

I was hoping this may have been a way round the imminent loss of Supra ABS sensor supply.

• 10 months later...

I've just ordered two new rear ABS sensors from Amayama. They have now been posted so I'm actually going to get something, as to whether or not it's the parts I'm expecting is another matter.

Out of interest I think the confusion over the ABS sensor availability seems to be with regards to pre facelift and facelift part numbers. The only difference being the bracket changing from metal to plastic (if I got my info right from Barry's thread (rider).

The part numbers I uses were:

89545-14020 Rear RH

89546-14020 Rear LH

I'll update once I receive the items. These cost £360, less VAT and duty.

On the hubs off the facelift frame I used for the swap the ABS sensors looked to be bigger (as in wider) than the ones on my pre-facelift hubs. If it does turn out to be a wider sensor then next thing to look at would be the pickup ring on the drive shafts. If that is the same pre to post facelift then you'd imagine that the sensor housing could be machined to accommodate a larger sensor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223815[/ATTACH]

Why dont you run a digital hall sensor if you have a Syvecs, CPR make Brackets for the Supra Hub

http://codyphillipsracing.com/store/store/cp-racing-cnc-wheel-speed-bracket-digital-hall-sensor-front/#

I was interested in this route but couldn't find anyone who used these and retained the factory ABS.

- - - Updated - - -

Each or for the pair? Thanks.

That was for the pair.

On the hubs off the facelift frame I used for the swap the ABS sensors looked to be bigger (as in wider) than the ones on my pre-facelift hubs. If it does turn out to be a wider sensor then next thing to look at would be the pickup ring on the drive shafts. If that is the same pre to post facelift then you'd imagine that the sensor housing could be machined to accommodate a larger sensor.

I don't know. I can only find a single part number for a rear hub running from 1993 to 2002 for Jap Spec with ABS. You would think there would be a variance in the part number of the hub if this was the case?

Thanks for your reply Pal! You stated genuine UK parts so made me wonder although I think they are the same as jspec but facelift may be different (I am going to check tonight)

Thank you

Mark, hopefully my sensors will be here in the next few days. I'll report back on the sizes, but I think they are all the same.

I don't understand why some people have issues finding the front sensors. Srd sourced and fitted some to mine this year in two days

/QUOTE]

I think the confusion is solely the fact that the pre facelift part numbers have been superseded and no one can give a definitive answer as to if the UK, pre facelift and facelift ABS sensors are all the same.

I don't think that an unreasonable concern given the cost of the parts.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)