The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK spec SUPRA

ARPUS

Id be careful of that car, i nearly bought it from the guy (jay) last october. I sold my old non turbo supra after 2 months of promises that i could buy the car (it was currently owned by the 75 year old) as soon as the older man was back from france, i waited and waited and kept getting put off by jay with excuses, one of them being that the old guy had some how ruined the ecu's (which is why it has new ones). after a couple of months with no supra i got a message saying how annoyed jay was that the older guy was now no longer selling and that old guy was giving it to his son. I was furious to say the least as i had sold my supra to buy this one. A month or so later i saw jay post on a forum looking for new ecu's, i messaged him asking if he wanted ecu's for the red supra, he replyed "yes i bought it, i got it for £5000, do you think i got a good deal?.. i didnt reply, this guys a con man and i believe he conned the old bloke out of it.. also it had 110k onit nearly a year ago so id double check the mileage adds up

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the message Mika.

I know lots of club members have taken a big interest in my search for a RED UK spec Supra, so I take great pleasure in telling you the story.

About 10 days ago, a chap called Mike Richards, started a thread asking what his car might be worth, but saying it wasn't a jspec and hadn't been modified and he was interested in selling it. A few members asked him for more details, but he was told politely that he couldn't advertise on the mkiv club site, as he wasn't a paid up member.

I thought he might have a UK spec and contacted him, via the anonymous email system but thought there was zero chance of him owning a RED UK spec.

Mike's thread had only been on the club site for a couple of days, before it was removed, so this was my only chance of contacting him.

To be continued on another page ---------------------------

I dont know how to write a huge message, without getting cut off / logged out.

Anyway, to continue the story -----

Mike contacted me a few days later and as my email contained my proper name, he recognised it from the Supra's logbook and paperwork.

We were both amazed by this coincidence and I drove to his house yesterday and bought the car !!!

I sold the car to an up-market second hand car dealer three years ago, who sold it to a private buyer. They sold it back to the same dealer, then Mike bought it.

Mike's a fair man and completely understood my affinity with the car. I knew more about it than he did...... lol

It has only covered 2,000 miles, since I sold it and it still looks wonderful and drives perfectly. Nothing has changed, except the owners.

It has done 72,000 miles from new.

I do appreciate all of the genuine interest of the club members and the help and advice offered.

I don't know how to post photos, but I'll get help, as it will complete the story.

I'm going outside now, to just look at the car ...... AGAIN

Regards, Steve ( ARPUS )

Reverse Sod's law very much in action here!

I think there is a case for non members to some how be allowed to post in the for sale section, it's obvious from this that some people look to sell through an owners club even if they are not a member themselves, maybe because they think they'll get a good price, or sometimes because they actually want an enthusiast to take it on, either way we are now possibly denying the membership opportunities when before the idea was we were protecting them from rogue traders. Times change and I think if its workable to allow a non member access to just their for sale thread and not all threads (want to still restrict non members buying!) we should perhaps try and make this happen?

Think you might just open the door to all the junk and dodgy dealers then.

I hear what you are saying but frankly I personally don't care about that, I think I can/we all can help others avoid any dross? Can certainly advise/warn newbies easier on here. I've been trying to help Wonga Spar and have steered him away from a few ebay 'specials' and would have done the same if they had been on here (and probably had a crowd backing me up!)

I just think in these days of minimal supply it would be better to welcome sellers in regardless, for the one or two nice cars a year that come along.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.