The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The future of Jakes SZ Supra Build

ripped_fear

I have pretty much decided Im not selling, my budget would be around 9-10k and at todays market that wont get me the TT6 I want. Fresh imports going for around 16k and they arent in the condition I would want.

Plus I would have to start over, mine has all new ancillaries, brakes, exhaust, suspension, set up professionally, interior, looks exactly as I want. Would need more than my budget again to do it all over. They are old cars after all and these bits will need changing, its more a matter of when rather than if.

Scooter, I love doing these jobs myself but this is out of my comfort zone, I think this would be going to a garage and having it done properly. Your idea of buying another NA engine to mock up on is one I have considered then just transfer it all to my engine once complete.

Why not buy the £3000 (on paper) low mileage Auto TT engine on ebay, add a pilot bearing and uprated clutch and fit that? W58 will definitely survive on the stock TT power and possibly swapping the engine in comes into the (slightly extended) comfort zone?

have you got the link?

The problem with a TT lump is unless it can be seen before hand, or from a known car. Who knows what its been though, could have a million miles on it, with various issues. It would also render all my new bits on mine useless.

There is pro's and con's to every option and no definitive right or wrong answer. Each option could go one way or the other.

I think adding a turbo onto your car will devalue it.

The car is mint, because of so many NA items. As soon as you fit a turbo, you'll have to remove many of them and then spend a fortune getting the install up to the scratch as nice and clean as the rest of the engine bay.

Financially there is a gap between the quality of your car and the one you want, being a manual TT. You have to keep saving dude, or accept the difference.

I appreciate you have an amazingly good condition NA and the offer price was amazing, but going turbo will not provide you with the same amazing car with more power.

Going turbo may blow your w58, and/or diff (it happens), your end spend on the car MAY be as much as your ideal TT anyway.

3k for a turbo AND making it as clean as it is now AAAAAAND covering for anything that might blow up, isn't enough.

It's crazy how you can't find the TT you want for 10k, but your willing to throw only 3k of budget turbo parts on your 7k NA. Just backwards that IMO. Trust me after 1 diff and 1 gearbox I'm royally annoyed with myself and could have had what I wanted in the first place.

The car is mint, because of so many NA items. As soon as you fit a turbo, you'll have to remove many of them and then spend a fortune getting the install up to the scratch as nice and clean as the rest of the engine bay.

Financially there is a gap between the quality of your car and the one you want, being a manual TT. You have to keep saving dude, or accept the difference.

I appreciate you have an amazingly good condition NA and the offer price was amazing, but going turbo will not provide you with the same amazing car with more power.

Going turbo may blow your w58, and/or diff (it happens), your end spend on the car MAY be as much as your ideal TT anyway.

3k for a turbo AND making it as clean as it is now AAAAAAND covering for anything that might blow up, isn't enough.

It's crazy how you can't find the TT you want for 10k, but your willing to throw only 3k of budget turbo parts on your 7k NA. Just backwards that IMO. Trust me after 1 diff and 1 gearbox I'm royally annoyed with myself and could have had what I wanted in the first place.

This, indeed if you believe in the current price stabilisation/increase then a TT6 won't cost you anything in the long run just hit the short term cashflow. I fear you are in too deep (emotionally) with your current car and the amount of work you have done to it?

You should have sold and brought mine, I would have sorted something out for you Jake!!

The biggest worry for me here is the W58 box, you don't want that worry when you are trying to enjoy an NA-T.

Are you certain NA-T route is the way you want to go? Go custom route.

I think like you say there are to many routes to go down! If your keeping the car then that's it forget about other cars stay focused on the next bit the engine! Unfortunately it's decision time baby there are lots of friends on here that will help you which ever way you go!! Have you been taken out in a na/t just so you know what there like! Sorry if you have answered that bit!!

Thanks James, coming from someone like yourself who has done it certainly makes you consider the bigger picture.

This, indeed if you believe in the current price stabilisation/increase then a TT6 won't cost you anything in the long run just hit the short term cashflow. I fear you are in too deep (emotionally) with your current car and the amount of work you have done to it?

Couldnt have hit the nail on the head better. I am in deep both financially and sentimentally with my car. The car is perfect for me, exactly how I have always wanted it. Apart from power. It is a well set up car and drive brilliantly, and looks exactly How i always envisaged it to.

You should have sold and brought mine, I would have sorted something out for you Jake!!

The biggest worry for me here is the W58 box, you don't want that worry when you are trying to enjoy an NA-T.

Are you certain NA-T route is the way you want to go? Go custom route.

Yeah maybe mate, I didnt have the offer on mine at that time though.

The NA-t route would give me the increase in power, and the driving sensation of a Single. I have driven a TT6 about 3 years back on a test drive. Have to say I wasnt as impressed as I thought I would be. Being honest I don't think, If I do get a tt6, I would have the funds to go single from there. So to get the all round experience I want I do think the NA-t option would suit me best, PROVIDING I can get it reliably both engine and transmission wise.

I think like you say there are to many routes to go down! If your keeping the car then that's it forget about other cars stay focused on the next bit the engine! Unfortunately it's decision time baby there are lots of friends on here that will help you which ever way you go!! Have you been taken out in a na/t just so you know what there like! Sorry if you have answered that bit!!

I havent been in an NA-t yet but have been in a few TT's both auto and 6 speed, and a single and big twins gte.

Sorry just reread the first bit it might have come across abit harsh if you know what i mean!! Didn't mean for it to sound like that but just to stick with your gut feeling!

:D no problem it didnt.

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

Can't really give an opinion on the whole NA-T route Jake as I haven't even been in one. As you know I have converted mine using a TT Lump and the swap itself was not hard and I really do not regret it but the big problem I had was I didn't look into getting the right engine and it cost me more in the long run. I got excited and bought the first one that came along and unfortunately it was already out the car so when I fitted it turned out the second turbo was dead. So If you go this route make sure you see it running and get taken out in it before you agree to purchase.

On another note if you were looking to NA-T and wanted a spare NA engine to mock up with I have mine still doing nothing ;)

Your supra is a very very nice tidy example of a car and modified in just the right way, £7000 offer was a very good one for an N/A but I completely understand not selling it because of all the hard work and money you've put into your supra as I'd be the same, Infact that is why I've kept my supra and dropped a TT lump in with a single turbo & 6 speed box because I just couldn't sell my car because of all the work I had put into it!

N/A - T is a good route to go if keeping your car but just be careful as buying a second hand turbo kit might save you money but can also cost you a lot more than buying new if it's faulty etc, I should know I've been there! I'd advise completely getting the turbo checked out for some peace of mind before purchasing if you do.

Send it to Turbo Technics, they have a proper dynamic turbo test rig. Maybe Turbo Dynamics also have one. However, I have yet to send any used turbo for "checking" that hasn't come back with a report along the lines of "it's knackered" ;) I want to dirty up a brand new one, one day, and see what reports come back! ;) After years of experience with turbos I am now of the opinion that rebuilds are never as good as a new one, and the cost saving, when associated with oil, gaskets, labour etcetera, it's just not worth having them rebuilt.

Send it to Turbo Technics, they have a proper dynamic turbo test rig. Maybe Turbo Dynamics also have one. However, I have yet to send any used turbo for "checking" that hasn't come back with a report along the lines of "it's knackered" ;) I want to dirty up a brand new one, one day, and see what reports come back! ;) After years of experience with turbos I am now of the opinion that rebuilds are never as good as a new one, and the cost saving, when associated with oil, gaskets, labour etcetera, it's just not worth having them rebuilt.

I agree with you Chris, some of the costs of repair are not far off from buying another. Also like you said, it appears they all need work. Perhaps because most people don't know how they work!

Thanks for the input Chris, TBH as they still make the turbo I wouldnt look to get it rebuilt anyway. More wanted to know in regards to looking it over but I guess with something like a turbo you just cant do much more than look for shaft play.

It's a compressed air operated dynamic rig, that checks for balance and oil leakage, and excess wear. A friend actually did the software for it, and I think they sell them to other turbo re-builders. It's as good as you can get for an off the car test. But if it's making proper boost, not burning oil, and there's no visible wheel damage or signs of wheels touching housings, i would just run it unless you feel renewal at X hours is the best plan.

TT used to have some photos of the rig on their web site, Geoff Kershaw, who does / did own the company is one of the top turbo guys in Europe.

These NA-T build are definately false economy. Only one person is going to benefit and thats the man putting it together (or woman - im not sexist ) :innocent:

Infact, one of the best around has just informed you to sell it. I'd sell.

Disconnect your attachment with the car, and envisage yourself being attached to a 'proper' TT that you WILL have.