The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SRD to the rescue...!

Brazil

On brand new engines you need to run them in with a couple psi of boost,, otherwise the pistons rings wont seat properly and you wont hsve an engine that last otherwise,,, cause as soon as you apply boost to the engine then, thea wear on the rings are gonna be significantly different,

Which will result in a faster wearing engine

Say 8 psi orso give or take.

That way the engine gets run in with boost

Ryan from Syvecs road map tuned at 1.2 bar than after 1k miles brought it down to 1 bar.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, after removing the engine my mechanic disassembled the oil sump and found a lot of broken metal from a loose bolt, I am waiting photos to confirm exactly what it is but he said. He also said he believes the turbo is also seizing because of the lack of oil it was running.

He also asked if my engine has warranty because it looks like a complete overhall to put this right.

Ok, after removing the engine my mechanic disassembled the oil sump and found a lot of broken metal from a loose bolt, I am waiting photos to confirm exactly what it is but he said. He also said he believes the turbo is also seizing because of the lack of oil it was running.

He also asked if my engine has warranty because it looks like a complete overhall to put this right.

Dam! I hope things work out for you :(.

Mmm shouldnt be that bad then, maybe the lack of oil pressure has caused some issues.

You should never start a supra with the clutch down though so find out if that's been happening.

Ironically, some of theUS spec ones can't be started without holding the clutch down :D

Mmm shouldnt be that bad then, maybe the lack of oil pressure has caused some issues.

You should never start a supra with the clutch down though so find out if that's been happening.

Sorry to hijack here, but what are the dangers associated with starting with the clutch down?

Sorry to hijack here, but what are the dangers associated with starting with the clutch down?

Startup is when most wear occurs on an engine. There is little to no oil pressure upon first cranking, so inadequate lubrication for a brief moment.

Pushing the clutch down on a car will 'thrust' the crankshaft, putting pressure on the thrust washers. Hence if you start a car with the clutch down repeatedly, the washers will wear at a higher rate. Eventually this will lead to crank walk, when the washers drop out and the crank is allowed more than the permitted movement back and forth.

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

Since my engine only made 1000 miles from rebuild would you say engine builder should be responsible and offer to rebuild engine?

It's more complicated than that. The reason for this fault needs to be identified. If it is an issue with the build, then yes, the engine builder should fix it. If it is an issue with hoe it has been installed, started, run in Etc, then the engine builder has no responsibility.