The mkiv Supra Owners Club

your opinion on buy an auto for cheap and convert in to 6speed getrag later

mpobor

P.S. And on the subject of cornering.lol I was always taught many moons ago that you never go WOT leaving a corner unless you are guaranteed to not let off.

Hard on, letting off etc will just unsettle the car. Brake before, drive the corner, hard acceleration once you know you won't need to let off again. And once you've mastered hitting the apex's it will all come naturally and it won't really matter what gearbox you're using :)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the talk here of Auto vs Manual.......what are the drag strip 1/4 mile lads using? what are the time attack drivers using? and what are the terminal velocity drivers using?

For me its about driving pleasure and working the gearbox, shifting gear and enjoyment of driving. For that my preference is manual but no doubt there are others who prefer lock down and kick down on the auto box :)

from experience with my last Supra, regards manual or auto just by what you want first time IMO, saves time and money unless you have access to cheap parts and a good mechanic

This video might help your decision between auto and manual :D

Having had both Manual and Auto I think it ultimately comes down to what you really want to do with the car/what you will be using it for. As people have said, the auto box is incredible so don't disregard it, you can run for so long in the gears it does help offset some of that time to gear change a 6 speed. Understand you starting this thread though, if I had no supra now I would find it a tough decision on auto or manual!

Any reasonable driver should still be on the loud pedal just after entering a bend. Smooth is fast. As soon as you're off the brakes, you should be applying some power to carry through the bends anyway. Auto or manual.

And on the exit of the corner I'll always be in a better gear than you :)

whatta post!!! it's exactly what i was looking for to clear my mind regarding making a choice auto vs manual. (i feel funny writing AUTO because in italian AUTO is a synomin or "car" )

but here comes again the silly idiot talking BULLS**t... i would say that a Dual clutch gearbox overcome off the con (if has any) of the supra autobox... David P has done a massive job hybridizing the auto to get flappies... i can't imagine having those upgrades combined with a boostlogic\titan built... it must be fun...

it must be a nightmare to made it work... so i'm just saying... syvecs can take control over the supra autobox... but is the only autobox who syvecs can take control or there are other autobox that can be "controlled?"...

i bet my ass that with "some" struggle you can adapt any gearbox to the 2jz...

i saw dct from m3-m6 on ebay for 2500-3000 dollars with electronics attached... so... what is missing to make a supra dct? i mean mechanically i guess the gearbox can be adapted... but as far as software is concern what are the limit? what signal must be taken from the 2jz? speed? rpm? D, P, LC... is so difficult to make the gearbox comunicate with the engine and engine ecu?

if is not being done till now i guess can't be done... but i see supras with flappy paddle, supercharged, turbo charged, twincharged, dual line of injector with different tank, water injectors, titanium conrods, strokers... mechanics world look to me like a world where there is no such a thing as "can't be done"....

Supra for me was born 20 years ago but is good as nowadays supercars... actually only recent supercar have broken the 600-700hp range.... Supra sometimes is missing just something to bring it to this age... a more updated gearbox look like what is missing... and dct is for me the only autobox who combine the pro of the auto with the pro of the manual with no actual cons... :)

If you used Syvecs to control a built autobox, I guarantee you wouldn't consider fitting a BMW box.

While I have no real experience of the auto's, the only word I have heard used to describe John Bailey's built autobox is "savage", from most of the members at the bluewater meet. I personally would look into that with the paddle shift kit SRD/Garage Whifbitz sell, it should be very special. I do remember reading somewhere that Syvecs were looking into controlling a lexus 8 speed gearbox, but I don't know what became of it.

Supra for me was born 20 years ago but is good as nowadays supercars... actually only recent supercar have broken the 600-700hp range.... Supra sometimes is missing just something to bring it to this age... a more updated gearbox look like what is missing... and dct is for me the only autobox who combine the pro of the auto with the pro of the manual with no actual cons...

The Supra was born as the bastard child of the Soarer , a high speed GT in Auto form , designed as an auto , but for those with a need to carry midgets around in the rear .

It just so happens you could alter this to nudge supercars and remove the GT part - still keeping much more modern cars at bay .

Modern multi gear auto boxes were driven by the use of modern Direct injection engines with limited rpm limits and torque bands , always chasing fuel efficiency .

If I'm in 2nd gear , I've 2 gears left 3rd and top (OD) , along side is a modern 7 speed , loads of gears!! - no gear envy here , my two seem to work better than his 4 , and all very stress free - lol

If you have an auto ,just use it ,tweak it , enjoy it - you fear no manual car and it's entertaining

If I'm in 2nd gear , I've 2 gears left 3rd and top (OD) , along side is a modern 7 speed , loads of gears!! - no gear envy here , my two seem to work better than his 4 , and all very stress free - lol

If you have an auto ,just use it ,tweak it , enjoy it - you fear no manual car and it's entertaining

That. In a nut shell.

No-one is denying the auto is good for an old-style 'box. It can't begin to compare with a proper modern DCT though... unless you have seamless shifts with no torque drop during changes at all, that is?

I know we all love Supras here, but come on - there's a set of good reasons hardly any of the manufacturers use them these days! In general DCTs are quicker AND more efficient. :D

While I have no real experience of the auto's, the only word I have heard used to describe John Bailey's built autobox is "savage", from most of the members at the bluewater meet. I personally would look into that with the paddle shift kit SRD/Garage Whifbitz sell, it should be very special. I do remember reading somewhere that Syvecs were looking into controlling a lexus 8 speed gearbox, but I don't know what became of it.

Will be even more savage when SRD have finished the winter upgrades :D

If you're planning on buying to convert to manual, do it sooner rather than later; people are starting to ask stupid money for the gearbox and accompanying ancillaries.

My car will be going manual in the future, but with the way second hand gearbox prices are going, I'll more than likely import a new one.

ooooo yesss just loving this thread and where is going...

thank you for who speak about my silly idea of a dct... even if would uncontrollable by any software was nice to imagine a7 gear dual clutch supra..

i was quite surprised when i read on bimmer forum that the dct can't handle the torque above a certein value... but then on youtube a saw g-powers and other tuners superchargin some m3 with 600 to 700hp... and you can still here the dct workin (or strugling don't know) at those powers... but is not affecting my "dream" because i was just aiming at a good 500-600 tuning.. so would be spot on hahahahahah :):):)

anyway... i guess as far as i'm reading that a boostlogic\titan built oem autobox plus whifbitz flappypaddle would a really "interesting" car..... it looks also a practical choice..

would be interesting to see in the future people like David P experience an installation with the 8 speed from lexus or the dct from BMW... :):):): hahahha.. you never know!!!