The mkiv Supra Owners Club

your opinion on buy an auto for cheap and convert in to 6speed getrag later

mpobor

6 speeds are clunky. If you fit a non standard clutch, the pedal can be heavy and you lose feel, some of them are either on or off. 5 speeds are ok as far as gearboxes go, but you feel obliged to be gentle on them for fear of them failing.

The auto, just point and squirt. If you want the noise of down shifting through the gears, switch manual mode on and use the shifter.

i red that the 5 speed can handle not more than 450\500hp am i right?

i didn't know about the shifter on the auto.....

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David P can hybridise your gearbox, plus Suprastick and you can run flappy paddle shifts. Syvecs now has the capability to run paddle shifts aswell. The only upgraded box I would consider would be something like an SRD/Titan/Boostlogic autobox.

David P is here on the forum? so you will not raccomand to adapt an erlier autobox but stick with upgrades on the oem autobox? if would be mechanically possible to adapt a more evolute gearbox would be really nice... a 6 speed dual clutch on a supra :).... but maybe is the same problem with the 5 speed manual... they crack above 450hp...

Bear in mind you need a sophisticated ECU with expensive options to run an auto with much more boost than stock. Unless the ecu can reduce engine torque during gear changes you will soon find the sprag clutch or other gearbox internals failing. the stock ecu was quite sophisticated for its day, in how it also controlled engine torque V gear selected and during gear shifts. I have an auto single turbo of fairly modest power here right now, and the gearbox has eaten its own internals. Modding an auto is considerably more complex than a six speed Getrag transmission car.

The T.T. Supra auto box is a highly underrated transmission, the link demonstrates what can be done.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?groupid=57

I could do with a holiday in Italy. ;)

don't know why but it seems that i don't have enough credential to read your link!!! shame!!!! :)

well.. for one of you supra owners i guess the last year in Rome would be your heaven :) no cops, no radar on highway neither on twisty road... ! for me it's just hell because i own pandas...for now... but i guess the time i own a supra they will cover my surround with cops and radar... murphy rules...

It's circa 520lbs/ft IIRC. The gearbox they made for the E39 M5, 8 series etc actually has a higher torque rating, at circa 550lbs/ft.

well... the getrag 6 speed of the supra is so expensive that i guess the 6 speed from the E39 can't cost that much...

still i'm actually start dreaming about a supra with 500whp with a 7g dct from bmw :):):):):):) muhahahahahah :)

still can't read the David P posted link, what is in it?

don't know why but it seems that i don't have enough credential to read your link!!! shame!!!! :)

well.. for one of you supra owners i guess the last year in Rome would be your heaven :) no cops, no radar on highway neither on twisty road... ! for me it's just hell because i own pandas...for now... but i guess the time i own a supra they will cover my surround with cops and radar... murphy rules...

That's because you haven't stumped up your subs and 3ish more posts then your free intro posting is on a sticky wicket too.

Never seen Aisin Warner's figures for the auto TT box, I was talking about the figures for the Getrag 6 speed manual. I am no expert on auto boxes at all, but i would guess it's shock loads on gear changes that kill them, rather than steady torque delivery.

I understand that, excuse the hijack mpobor. :innocent:

One way or another, I have put a lot of work into the transmission group pages and to have accepted comparison torque figures in the intro would be better than not.

i need further info on gearbox swapping.... anybody know where can i start looking further?

for manuals i saw people swapping the auto with a 5 speed using different bellhausing welding parts adapting plates ext... but auto to manual cut lots of hassle for the electronics.. somebody had or know who has experienced a AUTO-AUTO swap?

somebody knows if the syvecs stand alone is capable of taking control only the supra auto or can manage also other brand and type of autobox?

thank you all!! a lot!!!

i go for the AUTO... half price.. same car... and as far as i can see here and read in other post.. with a boostlogic rebuilt it's already a rocket..