The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gaz's single build

Mk4Gaz

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost there!

Managed to start making my screamer pipe last night, and finished welding it up this afternoon.

Also got the Intercooler pipework done, and engine boxes trimmed around the turbo, and re wrapped in carbon vinyl.

The bay is now complete, so just got the downpipe to bolt to the 2nd decat, and make a support bracket to hold the weight of the system, and take any stress off the turbo. Then plug the ecu in, and turn the key

Getting nervous now, but really pleased with how it's turned out aesthetically :thumbs:

Went for mapping yesterday, and came back a happy boy!

At 0.95 bar we made 435bhp and 430ftlbs at the hubs, and at 1.1bar it was 455bhp and 455ftlbs

I don't know what the auto transmission losses are normally calculated at, but ive read about 20%? Which would equate to circa 540fwhp at 0.95bar, and 570fwhp at 1.1bar - although that sounds a little high for me?

I can only run 0.9 at the moment, as the wastegate to manifold gasket started leaking after the 1.1bar run, so I need to fix that at some point.

All the niggles were ironed out with the mapping, the misfire and everything else was all due to fine tuning which I was relieved about!

Cheers Alex, and a huge thanks goes to you for your generosity with the grade 8 plugs :thumbs:

I only boosted twice last night, was heading to an mr2 meet with my old crowd straight afterwards, and it was soaking wet everywhere, but it certainly felt lively!

Feels as smooth as silk again now :D

Cheers Alex, and a huge thanks goes to you for your generosity with the grade 8 plugs :thumbs:

I only boosted twice last night, was heading to an mr2 meet with my old crowd straight afterwards, and it was soaking wet everywhere, but it certainly felt lively!

Feels as smooth as silk again now :D

Glad to help buddy :) Its all down to club spirit at the end of the day :thumbs:

Went for mapping yesterday, and came back a happy boy!

At 0.95 bar we made 435bhp and 430ftlbs at the hubs, and at 1.1bar it was 455bhp and 455ftlbs

I don't know what the auto transmission losses are normally calculated at, but ive read about 20%? Which would equate to circa 540fwhp at 0.95bar, and 570fwhp at 1.1bar - although that sounds a little high for me?

I can only run 0.9 at the moment, as the wastegate to manifold gasket started leaking after the 1.1bar run, so I need to fix that at some point.

All the niggles were ironed out with the mapping, the misfire and everything else was all due to fine tuning which I was relieved about!

That sounds brilliant! Only tiny things to sort out. What's your end goal boost wise?

Don't get caught up in the hub/fwhp figures though. They generally work out the same/similar. The only time to add 20% is when you're measuring the power on a rolling road. Not really sure why it works that way but back to back runs on hub dyno vs rolling road (SRR) seems to show that the hub vs the fwhp figure are the same.

Thanks chaps, to be honest I don't have a particular goal to achieve, I got caught up in chasing numbers a few years ago with the mr2, and it often ends in tears with dented pride, and a very dented wallet!

I just wanted to simplify the setup, and end up with a nice driveable, fast street car :thumbs:

I always remember my mr2 dyno plots having the whp and calculated fwhp printed together. Mine made 260whp and 312fwp. The mr2s are said to suffer with circa 18% transmission loss, so that was about right - ish.

I've always gone with whp, as we all know that fwhp is basically just a guess, a calculation done by the dyno that can be adjusted by the dyno operator. But, it would be nice to compare other people's results, especially as srr is used by a lot of owners, through Ryan mapping there.

My tuner said that he'd mapped for 1.1bar, but was struggling to get a consistent power run on the hub dyno, as the auto kept kicking down into 3rd, so he's left the boost controller doing its thing to 0.9. He said once I've sorted the wastegate leak, to go back and he'll double check everything, and he thinks that at 1.1bar it'll be a hoot to drive, and about the limit without pushing things like the auto trans.

Thanks chaps, to be honest I don't have a particular goal to achieve, I got caught up in chasing numbers a few years ago with the mr2, and it often ends in tears with dented pride, and a very dented wallet!

I just wanted to simplify the setup, and end up with a nice driveable, fast street car :thumbs:

I always remember my mr2 dyno plots having the whp and calculated fwhp printed together. Mine made 260whp and 312fwp. The mr2s are said to suffer with circa 18% transmission loss, so that was about right - ish.

I've always gone with whp, as we all know that fwhp is basically just a guess, a calculation done by the dyno that can be adjusted by the dyno operator. But, it would be nice to compare other people's results, especially as srr is used by a lot of owners, through Ryan mapping there.

My tuner said that he'd mapped for 1.1bar, but was struggling to get a consistent power run on the hub dyno, as the auto kept kicking down into 3rd, so he's left the boost controller doing its thing to 0.9. He said once I've sorted the wastegate leak, to go back and he'll double check everything, and he thinks that at 1.1bar it'll be a hoot to drive, and about the limit without pushing things like the auto trans.

Yeah around 15-20% is the norm (15% for manual and 20% for auto, it's a good guess anyway), it's more to do with the way the hub dyno works though. Even though the hub dyno prints out "RHHP" it's actually more comparable to FWHP than it is RWHP, that's only from information gathered on this forum though. I don't know why this is exactly, it could be that hub dynos are more optimistic and give an inflated figure, or that dynos like SRR are heartbreakers and give low estimations, but it doesn't really matter tbh. The bum dyno is the only real thing that matters :)