The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gaz's single build

Mk4Gaz

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more done, feel like I've spent more time waiting for parts, than I have actually building the thing.

Surprising all the little bits and pieces that you don't think of!

With the help of Kelvin, Gary and Nick the stem seals have been replaced. This was something I've been wanting to do for a while, as it was getting a little smokey on cold starts :(

And back together with my shiny polished cam covers :D

I made and polished a heatsheild for the manifold, to try and cut engine bay temp down. Spent sodding ages on it, but the damn thing fouled the turbo! Was good while it lasted, but alas, it's now in the bin

So I'm now close to having it complete. Turbo is on, wastegate plumbed up, oil lines done, downpipe welded and heat wrapped (big thanks to John), Intercooler pipework started, boost solenoid plumbed in, and wide band wired up.

Jobs left to do:

Trim the drivers side engine bay cover

Finish intercooler piping

Bolt up downpipe to exhaust

Make and fit screamer pipe

Wire up lambda sensor

Finish intake pipework

Fit and plumb in ssqv

Fit ecu

Hopefully it'll be done by Sunday, ready to start it up and make sure it all runs sweet. Then get it booked in for mapping!

Cheers gents.

Clay, I haven't used the cam cover rubber washers, but will keep an eye on them. A lot of folk in the mr2 world replace the cam cover bolts with stainless hex head, and use normal flat washers - I did it myself and never had any problems.

Mike, it's going to be mapped at torque developments in grays, on the hub dyno. They're good guys up there, and Sam Borgman knows his stuff!

Looking great mate. Good luck on the dyno hope it is what you are expecting. Mine goes to Ryan G on the 6th with similar spec cars will be interesting to see how they compare on paper as far as the stock auto is concerned. :)

Are you only using one transmission cooler Gaz?

Cheers Tony

I'm using the stock cooler in the rad, and a 10 row cooler in the passenger air duct in the bumper. I'll have to keep an eye on the transmission oil, and if it starts going dark through heat, I'll maybe add something else somewhere.

With the auto box, I've read about the limitations due to the heat generated by high hp/torque, so I'm thinking of asking the mapper to stop at around 500 ftlb and the bhp is whatever it is - unless I've understood it wrong?

I only use the car a couple of times a month, so it won't be getting daily abuse, but maybe I'll consider a built box and high stall next year

Cheers Tony

I'm using the stock cooler in the rad, and a 10 row cooler in the passenger air duct in the bumper. I'll have to keep an eye on the transmission oil, and if it starts going dark through heat, I'll maybe add something else somewhere.

With the auto box, I've read about the limitations due to the heat generated by high hp/torque, so I'm thinking of asking the mapper to stop at around 500 ftlb and the bhp is whatever it is - unless I've understood it wrong?

I only use the car a couple of times a month, so it won't be getting daily abuse, but maybe I'll consider a built box and high stall next year

Yeah it's the torque that murders it bud. Chris bailey or John would be the lads to spear about the limits bud. I think they were close to the max for more than a year before it pooped itself. They are running Syvecs though and that reduces the torque on the gear changes to allow more power. Maybe worth a pm bud.

Interested to see how you get on too Tony, yours is stunning!

I've spoken to Chris and John at bw a few times, and I think John ran circa 560 ftlb for quite a while before it died, and he probably drives harder than me! I also think mellonman runs about that, and has done for quite some time. But you're right, the syvecs having the ability to limit torque on changes probably helped a lot.

Jim, thanks buddy :thumbs:

It's not actually in the bin, despite being no good, I couldn't actually bring myself to throw it!

I've got a brand new na-t stainless manifold, and 50mm wastegate that'll be going up for sale shortly, along with all the stock twin stuff I've removed. Maybe the heat shield will fit that as you say, I'll offer it up and see

Cheers gents.

Clay, I haven't used the cam cover rubber washers, but will keep an eye on them. A lot of folk in the mr2 world replace the cam cover bolts with stainless hex head, and use normal flat washers - I did it myself and never had any problems.

Mike, it's going to be mapped at torque developments in grays, on the hub dyno. They're good guys up there, and Sam Borgman knows his stuff!

That sounds good mate. I may have to take mine to someone else as i dont think ryan will map mine as he said he dont really do hks anymore. Do you mind saying what sort of money he wants?

Well, they installed a base map for me, to allow me to test everything at home, and drive to the dyno, for £50

Then it's £125 plus vat per hour for mapping, and they've said it'll take 2 to 3 hours. So anything from £3-500 at a guess mate

Yeah it's the torque that murders it bud. Chris bailey or John would be the lads to spear about the limits bud. I think they were close to the max for more than a year before it pooped itself. They are running Syvecs though and that reduces the torque on the gear changes to allow more power. Maybe worth a pm bud.

To be fair Tony it didn't poop itself , it's the torque converter that doesn't like it and that's what you notice first particularly on pull away. I could have kept running mine with the box the way it was but the Boostlogic came up about the same time so was a no brainier for me

To be fair Tony it didn't poop itself , it's the torque converter that doesn't like it and that's what you notice first particularly on pull away. I could have kept running mine with the box the way it was but the Boostlogic came up about the same time so was a no brainier for me

Sorry bud must have had my wires crossed. Would An uprated torque converter made it more robust?