Supra valuations

Pete

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What qualifications are required then?

Well, to start with, this shouldn't be discussed in 'For Sale' threads. :D

But we should really start compiling a list of what cars are selling for, not what they are advertised for. That would be the only way to make proper, informed recommendations to potential buyers and sellers.

NA-TT are also harder to value IMHO, things such as service history from the previous engine, history of the transplanted engine, servicing and maintainable since the conversion should all be recorded or factored in when valuing the car.

I genuinely don't believe in the years to follow that converted cars will continue to command the same price as non converted cars, although they won't be lagging too far behind with the correct paper work, and perhaps diff upgrade etc.

I sold a TT-Auto recently, it was owned by myself for the last decade and the mileage was genuinely low and documented throughout. I sold it for £8k+ and was satisfied with the sale as I held out for a genuinely enthusiastic buyer.

I guess the situation of a seller comes into pricing also, I was in no real rush (although the wife will say different) and managed to get the price I wanted. I realise that this is not always the case with other sales, so prices can vary great due to this factor.

If you were to have a 100 point check list , such as new replaced parts :

Alternator

Starter motor

Water pump

Wheel bearings

Engine mounts

Gearbox mounts

Battery

Front suspension arms

Rear suspension arms

Headlights

Coil packs

Radiator

Belts

And so on , all fresh items not second hand , then a condition scale out of ten for each panel ,sills,windscreen , etc , you could "value" a car or at lease ball park one , but the vast majority of cars would fail dismally , just changing the engine oil regular is not servicing or inspection .

People are selling dreams not cars , and we all dream ......

Very few people are going to toyota and just buying the parts they need , most cars are collection of 5 cars parts - lol , things like door seals are seldom if ever replaced , mint cars , I don't think so .

Clubs like the Jag enthusiats , have an inspection and valuation service , a fine tooth comb springs to mind , I shudder to think what the supras would come out like with such a check .....

Took me over a year to sell my uk spec auto for about 6k. Paint was in good nick, mechanically good. I'd just spent 1000 on having all the brake lines replaced. First person to view the car bought it. It was still too cheep IMO. P.s it's for sale again. You should buy it. Cracking car. :)

Took me over a year to sell my uk spec auto for about 6k. Paint was in good nick, mechanically good. I'd just spent 1000 on having all the brake lines replaced. First person to view the car bought it. It was still too cheep IMO. P.s it's for sale again. You should buy it. Cracking car. :)

You car was very reasonably priced I felt, and even with the accident repair it was still a very good price for a potential buyer.

If you were to have a 100 point check list , such as new replaced parts :

Alternator

Starter motor

Water pump

Wheel bearings

Engine mounts

Gearbox mounts

Battery

Front suspension arms

Rear suspension arms

Headlights

Coil packs

Radiator

Belts

And so on , all fresh items not second hand ,

Guessing there's around £5k worth of parts for a facelift car there... without fitting :eek:

Guessing there's around £5k worth of parts for a facelift car there... without fitting :eek:

And that's the problem , you can end up buying a £12000 car and the alternator packs up a month later , followed by the radiator , and so on , so was it worth £12k ?

Most people take a punt and buy the cheapest car they can , based on some weird logic (like mileage),and then put the AA on speed dial

I haven't read the whole thread, but I've had a moment of (possible) brilliance.

I want PMs from anyone who is genuinely interested in this thread containing their opinions on the following:

Values of:

TT6 stock (completely)

TT6 BPU

TT auto stock (completely)

TT AUTO BPU

TT Tiptronic

UK TT6

UKTT6 BPU

UK TT auto

UK TT auto BPU

NA6 (facelift)

NA5 (prefacelift)

NA AUTO

And the harder ones to value:

NATT w58

NATT 6

NATT auto

The last 3 stock engined and BPU.

For all of them, a price for pre facelift and facelift versions.

Things like singles I'm leaving off the list, as there is too much variation in spec. Same for NA-t's.

Once I have a decent amount of opinions, I'll post the opinionated price brackets for each, and we can see how much it varies.

Edited by listy (see edit history)

I haven't read the whole thread, but I've had a moment of (possible) brilliance.

I want PMs from anyone who is genuinely interested in this thread containing their opinions on the following:

Values of:

TT6 stock (completely)

TT6 BPU

TT auto stock (completely)

TT AUTO BPU

UK TT6

UKTT6 BPU

UK TT auto

UK TT auto BPU

NA6 (facelift)

NA5

NA AUTO

And the harder ones to value:

NATT w58

NATT 6

NATT auto

The last 3 stock engined and BPU.

Things like singles I'm leaving off the list, as there is too much variation in spec. Same for NA-t's.

Once I have a decent amount of opinions, I'll post the opinionated price brackets for each, and we can see how much it varies.

I waqs about to PM you, but I've realised you haven't included facelift, pre facelift, VVTi, tiptronic etc. When you add these up, there is a huge variation. :D

but, maybe this would be a good, rough guide:

Pre facelift:

- TT6 - £7k - £12k

- TT Auto - £4k - £7k

- TT aero - £7k - £11k

- NA 5 - £2k - £4k

- NA auto - £1.5k - £3k

- NA Aero - £2.5k - £4.5k

- UK TT6 - £9k - £15k

- UK TT auto - £5.5k - £9k

Facelift:

TT6 - £8k - £13k

TT auto - £5.5k - £8k

NA 5 - £3k - £4k

NA 6 - £4.5k - £6.5k

NA Aero - £4k - £6k

VVTi:

TT6 - £9k - £15k (plus potentially MUCH more for a low miles, fresh import)

Tiptronic - £7.5k - £11k

I don't think BPU would affect the value particularly, certainly not when compared to overall condition. However, cars with big, bellended bodykits can knock a fair chunk off those prices.

I well remember advertising my lovely, un-messed with, low mileage R33GTR on a UK Skyline forum and being amused and amazed by all the hate mail saying I was single handedly devaluing people's cars. I replied that if it was a ridiculously cheap bargain beat a path to my door, buy it and turn a profit. The usual excuses flowed, cash flow issues, maybe I could hold it for 3 months, there must be something wrong with it, blah blah. A MONTH later no one from the forum had come up with any cash, or even made an offer. It sold in the trade for slightly more than I had asked on the forum, to a guy who wrote it off within weeks, in the most spectacular way I have ever seen, (roof off, cut `em out, send it to the crusher jobbie....). Like any item, it's worth what anyone will pay in your sale time frame. I am not a good seller, and can't abide messers, so tend to sell quite cheap to avoid unpleasant scenes and being hounded by tyre kickers, messers and plain *&%$ERs ;)

Usually buying and selling within the trade is a lot less stressful than dealing with Joe Public. Being able to take part exchanges and offer finance is very useful, too. I don't get sentimental about cars, and when I decide it's time to move something on I never get upset, just take the money and get something else.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

When I sold my aero in May which I'd owned for 7 years, I didn't get anyone saying it was up for too much. But I had a few pm's saying I was selling it far too cheap.

She sold within 2 days...... :D

My old aero for sale- http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?307676-1993-Black-Toyota-Supra-AEROTOP

I think all the signs are that you did sell that too cheap Dave.

Values are up in the summer as usual, more demand than supply. Honestly, if your car doesn't sell within the first month, it's overpriced, simple. Like Mr Wilson, if I've decided I'm selling a car, I want it gone as soon as possible so that I can move on. I've sold two SZ-R manuals for a combined price of less than 3.5k.

I think many people have rose tinted view of the Supra(as I do) and would like to think it's appreciating. But honestly, without being a very good OEM example that's had a serious amount of OEM parts replaced, chances are it's not appreciating in value.

The other issue is that there are far more poor examples out there than good ones. So many damaged(but not recorded), needing several replacement OEM parts, not having regular maintenance carried out(a 20 year old Supra should be on it's fifth cam belt now, how may can honestly say this is the case?) and just general poor condition of body kits and paint. If I was in the market for 'a keeper', I can't think of a single supra for sale currently that I would view.

With the majority of Supras(90%+) for sale having likely been clocked due to the blinkered perception that if it's under 100k then it's probably okay, and if it's over 100k then it's past it. It leaves the market in a pretty poor state in all honestly. I'm not having a bash at Supra values, but I do believe there are plenty of people desperate for values to rise significantly and it's just not going to happen.