• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

£6k :faint:

You must really like that Supra.

Six grand of the other person's insurance company money, not his own :rolleyes:

And why the hell not - it's their obligation to return it to pre-crash condition if safe to do so, they can't just write it off and give you a pittance (as your own ins co would if it was your fault). This is something many people seem not to realise and the 3rd party insurance companies try to capitalise on that.

These cars are gonna pick up a bump or two in all the years they have been on the road. As they say, better the devil you know.....

I reckon you are pretty safe when it comes to re-sale if she's stays a Cat D, you have a very late model in a desirable colour, sure you will be fine.

Edit.......even better, no write off

Edited by SPG (see edit history)

If the car is classed as an economical repair it will not be classed as a C or a D. It's only if it is an un-economical repair and bought back as salvage, it has a classification.

D is light damage and C is more serious. B means it cannot be salvaged due to the amount of damage.

H.

Yeah the £6000 was the quote from the garage to the insurance company who are paying it. I don't have 6 grand spare to fix it ha! I always thought if it can be repaired for less than the cost of the car then it's not a write off and not Cat D or C. I won't be selling her anyway. I plan on keeping her for many years and if need be take her off the road if I can't afford to run her. Besides I quite like this car and I know these models are getting rarer. Especially seeing as I already had one written off which I believe SPG is still in the process of bringing back to life. (Sorry if I've spoilt anything)

I am pretty happy anyway, I didn't want to have to argue with the insurance for more money and go through the process of trying to find yet another supra that I like. Especially seeing as I am very picky. Only a late facelift TT with low mileage and almost completely standard will do.

Just to get my head round this Cat C & D stuff, you guys are telling me a car can have a heavy shunt like that with a £6000 payout to repair and it dont go on record? thats terrible if true, id be gutted if i bought a car that had been in an accident without knowing.

Just to get my head round this Cat C & D stuff, you guys are telling me a car can have a heavy shunt like that with a £6000 payout to repair and it dont go on record? thats terrible if true, id be gutted if i bought a car that had been in an accident without knowing.

It being classed as a "write off" is everything. If they are paying £6K on a Supra or £30K on a Ferrari it is classed as an economical repair and therefore not registered as salvage.

This might help, first thing that came up on google.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/insurance-write-offs/

Edited by Havard
missing word. (see edit history)

You'd be surprised at the amount of cars I have gone to see which have been accident repaired and doesn't come up on HPi reports.

A friend of mine was completely hooked up on NOT buying a car which was a Cat D because he didn't want a car that was damaged in an accident. He then brought a very clean motor, which turned out had been in an accident which was only discovered when pulling out the spare tyre from the boot. Private sale so he didn't have any comeback, then again it was a while before he noticed it.

Six grand of the other person's insurance company money, not his own :rolleyes:

And why the hell not - it's their obligation to return it to pre-crason condition if safe to do so, they can't just write it off and give you a pittance (as your own ins co would if it was your fault). This is something many people seem not to realise and the 3rd party insurance companies try to capitalise on that.

I know hes not paying for it, I just wasnt sure if he had the option of taking the £6k cash. Because as others have said it wont be worth as much when he comes to sell it o

I know hes not paying for it, I just wasnt sure if he had the option of taking the £6k cash. Because as others have said it wont be worth as much when he comes to sell it o

Is anyone reading this properly. The car will NOT be registered as having an accident as it is an economical repair. Just like getting a scratch on a 63 plate car now. If the numbers add up the insurance will repair it.

The only reason the car will be worth less is because Twisted has put up a thread about the damage to his car on the owners club where he is likely to attract a buyer at some point. If he puts it up on Pistonheads and the buyer doesn't ask many questions, the car will go for the market value, assuming the repair has been done to a decent standard.

H.

Is anyone reading this properly. The car will NOT be registered as having an accident as it is an economical repair. Just like getting a scratch on a 63 plate car now. If the numbers add up the insurance will repair it.

The only reason the car will be worth less is because Twisted has put up a thread about the damage to his car on the owners club where he is likely to attract a buyer at some point. If he puts it up on Pistonheads and the buyer doesn't ask many questions, the car will go for the market value, assuming the repair has been done to a decent standard.

H.

:innocent: