The mkiv Supra Owners Club

It happened again

Twisted

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to get my head round this Cat C & D stuff, you guys are telling me a car can have a heavy shunt like that with a £6000 payout to repair and it dont go on record? thats terrible if true, id be gutted if i bought a car that had been in an accident without knowing.

It will be recorded and available to see on an HPI check that is damaged and repaired dude.

It will be recorded and available to see on an HPI check that is damaged and repaired dude.

Dude is right, only times people get caught out buying cars that have been repaired is whe they're not declared/claimed

I know of hundreds of cars on the road that are clean on the record but have had major work done and sold on with no record of damage/repair work

My last rangerover had been in an undeclared smash and was very well repaired, but I spotted the telltale signs and got a hefty price reduction when I bought it

Just insist on it being repaired at a decent bodyshop, most mainstream ones are shit , too busy to do a decent job and are more like a McDonald's drive thru chop shop IMO

LOL

Sorry mate i'm off to Riga first thing Sunday morning to frolic with some

Latvians/Russians :)

Ok. I'll just stay here, tearing what little hair I have left out.

True. Forgot about HPi checks as it will show on the insurance data base. These don't offer any indication as to the extent of the damage though do they John? I have only ever done 3 HPi's and they have all come up clean for damage. I did have one with a mileage discrepancy that turned out to be a mistake.

H.

This is what I was getting at, thanks for confirming.

Not always..

Sometimes cars are not registered on the HPI. This mainly happens when the insurance company doesnt upgrade the records...

and you can have the Cat C / D tag removed from the HPI.

Not always..

Sometimes cars are not registered on the HPI. This mainly happens when the insurance company doesnt upgrade the records...

and you can have the Cat C / D tag removed from the HPI.

How can you have it removed? Are you saying that if you buy a car as clear on HPi but then then insurance company update the records, you can have the record removed?

Surely not..!!

How can you have it removed? Are you saying that if you buy a car as clear on HPi but then then insurance company update the records, you can have the record removed?

Surely not..!!

WHat I am saying is ...

1)

Car is involved in an accident .. Insurance is paid out and insurance keeps the car / you buy it back.

If the Insurance company does not correctly update the records it will not show on the HPI, nor show on the log book.

I have previously purchased cars that are damaged and claim to be cat c / d, when I HPI them they come back clean.

(this means insurance company has failed to update DVLA / HPI register)

2) You can buy unrecorded damaged / salvage cars. again these are clear.

3) You can buy a damaged car which is catogorised as a Cat C or a Cat D. You have it repaired to a high standard. I know

of atleast one company who will charge you an inspection fee. They require pictures of the damaged car and then will inspect the

car. (I assume they check the quality of the repair)

If the car passes inspection they will remove the HPI marker on the car. BUT somewhere they say "approved repair to a high standard".

When you HPI a car that has been through process 3 it does not show as HPI registered ...