The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Kendo's Ridox Rep

Kendo11

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Not been doing a lot recently as I've had a fair bit on.

But I have made my rear seat delete - just needs carpeting now at which point I'll post up a full write up on how I did it.

I also stripped the rubber off the dash panels using bleach, which worked brilliantly. Next step with them is to get them painted in a glossy black. I did split the climate control module and have fitted some blue led parts and blue light filters so that should get rid of some of the old fashioned green.

attachment.php?attachmentid=202502&stc=1&d=1434994692

attachment.php?attachmentid=202503&stc=1&d=1434994692

Also the stereo was shot. It was touchscreen single din but had stopped working, so I will be relocating the Defi control module to the glove box and replacing the stereo with a double din unit. Typical JDM wiring was found upon removal:

attachment.php?attachmentid=202506&stc=1&d=1434994692

Also started repairing my rusty bootlid, it will be going to a garage to finish off properly.

Lastly I've made the bold and possibly stupid decision to wrap the car in red chrome......myself.

Realistically the car needs a whole colour change. The bumpers, skirts, bootlid and bonnet all need a respray and I simply don't have the funds for it. I was tempted to go with Plastidip but don't like the finish. I've started getting the materials and tools for wrapping it and have been obsessively watching guides on YouTube.

I got a little sample from a local shop to test out on small parts. I did the filler cap last weekend as a tester and really like it. With it being a free sample it wasn't in good condition as it was sat around the warehouse, so the finished product will look better and I'll also be making the surface nice and smooth before wrapping:

attachment.php?attachmentid=202504&stc=1&d=1434994692

This is the overall aim:

attachment.php?attachmentid=202505&stc=1&d=1434994692

IMAG1521.jpg

IMAG1573.jpg

IMAG1577.jpg

img_1847.jpg

IMAG1575.jpg

nice work Ken, hopefully should look great, take your time. Think the key is patience, heating and stretching

Yeah I'm literally going to do one panel a week. Chrome is notoriously difficult to wrap. Bumpers will be by far the most difficult.

Good luck doing it yourself! Not an easy task and wrapping is art in itself. Also the chrome wraps are supposed to be a lot less forgiving so good luck with the panels such as the front bumper and large areas like the rear quarter pannels.

If you manage to get a good finish I'm sure it will look great, its certainly a lovely colour.

I've been watching literally every video ever made on applying it haha.

I think it's going to be gloss rather than chrome, for my first ever attempt the chrome is just going to be too risky to try

Have you considered going on a course? My mate did a course so that he could wrap his racing cars and looking at them he was taught well. I'm almost tempted to get him to wrap my Supra in a coloured chrome wrap....almost.

Have you considered going on a course? My mate did a course so that he could wrap his racing cars and looking at them he was taught well. I'm almost tempted to get him to wrap my Supra in a coloured chrome wrap....almost.

Yeah there's a local company that do it and I'm off there next weekend to watch them in action and get some tips, really looking forward to it.

The chrome looks absolutely incredible but on the small practice piece I did it's seriously difficult to wrap around corners and tuck in. It's fairly cheap these days even for the decent stuff the pro's use but I think it'd just be too much too soon for me to do a whole car with it.

Make sure you get a decent wrap such as 3M.

The local bodyshop that is spraying some of my car next week showed me a black 4x4 that had been wrapped white by some place and was in there to get it removed. Some of the wrap was 3M and came off no problem but the place that did it also used cheap stuff that damaged the paint/lacqueer when it came off.

Make sure you get a decent wrap such as 3M.

The local bodyshop that is spraying some of my car next week showed me a black 4x4 that had been wrapped white by some place and was in there to get it removed. Some of the wrap was 3M and came off no problem but the place that did it also used cheap stuff that damaged the paint/lacqueer when it came off.

I'm going for Hexis mate which is basically a direct equivalent to the 3m stuff.

I almost very stupidly spotted a bargain on eBay for unbranded stuff but just caught myself before ordering!

This is definitely happening, I just need to decide on a colour.

I really like this:

uploadfromtaptalk1435139221416.jpg

Hmmm. I'm never sure about matt cars. Matt black has definitely had it's day. I've seen one or two nice matt grey/silver as well as some ok matt blue or red.

Yeah I have been thinking the same to be honest. I've emailed them asking if they can supply the same shade but in more of a glossy material.

EBay seller m99 mate, based in Newark.

It's totally unbranded though and I wouldn't say it's good enough to use on a full car to be honest.

£80 for a 1.25x5 roll is what I've been quoted.

You can probably get it from Hexis or 3M for a bit more but the quality would be much better.