The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Kendo's Ridox Rep

Kendo11

Good progress on this dude, starting to really take shape. That red - kandy apple red? Its the colour ive always wanted to paint mine, one day *dreams*. Howcomes you decided to flock the dash? The black wrap looked awesome and it looked like you did a pukka job on it too. Also like the idea of covering the inside of the glovebox - i might flock that :D

Thanks mate.

Yeah the red is absolutely stunning but the wrap was an absolute fortune, the small bit I got to try was a really poor quality and to do it well I'd nearly be looking at respray money.

To be honest the old carbon overlay left such a mess when I removed it that I couldn't just leave it. Always liked the flocked look so thought I'd get it done, really modernises it compared to how it was.

Cost me £90 to get all them bits done so pretty good value!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats not a bad price at all to be fair! Really liking where its all going though. I always imagined myself putting reversing sensors into the flat part of the trial rear beneath the plate, seems like the perfect place. Rear view cam too :p

I wrapped the chrome door/window trims on my mates c class merc with what seems to be the exact same red chrome stuff. Doesnt bend very well even with heat, crinkles easily and is a bit of a pain to work with. Took me half a day to do one side...mainly because i didnt want to scratch his paintwork and it was so fiddly.

How did you find removing the sideskirts? This is one of the jobs i need to do over the winter, never done it before

• 2 months later...

So, with the better weather and a bit more motivation that has been lacking over the past few months I've finally started work on this again recently.

As well as finishing off the LED rear lights as posted here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?327674-Led-rear-lights/page3

Plus starting some home made APR style mirrors here, that I really need to get to work on: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?329731-DIY-APR-Mirrors

I've also been fiddling with some LED front lights that I'm still working on.

This is where I am up to so far with them:

attachment.php?attachmentid=209161&stc=1&d=1455556604

Also thanks to Mr Ellis I got my hands on some very high quality replica OEM side decals:

attachment.php?attachmentid=209162&stc=1&d=1455556604

They will be fitted once I've finished the wrap.

Next I decided to remove the whole alarm system. The siren cocked up and the whole system kept draining my battery. It was poorly installed and wasn't a brilliant system. I'll replace this at some point.

Hours of fun!:

attachment.php?attachmentid=209163&stc=1&d=1455556604

20160129_191624.jpg

20160203_125012.jpg

20160130_153504.jpg

Following on from all that, as well as recent discussions regarding porting and polishing and increasing power on the NA engine, I did a bit more porting/polishing on the throttle body, Y branch and manifold. Noz did the original work to a fantastic standard so this was just following up his work.

The parts all needed a fresh lick of paint too.

This involved copious amounts of Nitromors, sandpaper, an assortment of dremel tools, and elbow grease:

attachment.php?attachmentid=209166&stc=1&d=1455557672

attachment.php?attachmentid=209165&stc=1&d=1455557672

They obviously looked an absolute abomination halfway through but hopefully some nice black crinkle paint will sort that out.

I need to apply some more coats tomorrow but nearly there:

attachment.php?attachmentid=209167&stc=1&d=1455557672

Also took the opportunity to tidy up the cam covers. Nothing fancy and done in place but should improve the final look. Mid sand/polish:

attachment.php?attachmentid=209168&stc=1&d=1455557672

Got bags and bags of new fixings and fasteners too ready to put it all back together, as well as new gaskets all round.

I have bought a new phone and the pixel size it set to maximum so I've had to resize those images, will get that sorted for the next update too.

Week off work this week so should be able to get plenty done.

Feels good working on it again and actually getting somewhere :)

20160213_171209.jpg

20160213_140328.jpg

20160215_143351.jpg

20160215_135537.jpg

rx8 seats look awsome bud , did you have to buy different rails to make them fit ? i have cloth seats and have been looking at options - never even thought about Rx8 seats they look sic

Hi mate.

I got some rails from John on here to marry up to the existing bolt holes.

The rest of it was an absolute nightmare, had to do a load of grinding and bodging and all sorts.

Not something I'd do again.

Couple of updates from yesterday and the day before.

As per previous posts I had removed everything and started painting it using crinkle paint.

Because I was doing it outside it didn't 'crinkle' very well, but hats off to UFO who suggested using a heat-gun in between coats and whilst drying. That made a huge difference and they now look pretty decent:

attachment.php?attachmentid=209239&stc=1&d=1455734864

attachment.php?attachmentid=209238&stc=1&d=1455734864

attachment.php?attachmentid=209240&stc=1&d=1455734864

Also removed the heat-shield and gave it a good sanding down and is was pretty rusty (to be expected) and a coating of heat resistant Hammerite, no after pictures but a quick during:

attachment.php?attachmentid=209241&stc=1&d=1455734864

I have the O2 sensors currently sat in lemon juice as per the usual trick to give them a clean out.

Hoping for better weather tomorrow so I can get everything re-fitted and tackle the seized brakes.

20160216_150422.jpg

20160216_150406.jpg

20160216_150415.jpg

20160216_150430.jpg

Just caught up with this, nice to see the intake and throttle I ported have had a clean up and upgraded further.

Wish I'd compared them on a dyno just to see how they compare on the flow.

Thanks mate - they really do make a noticeable difference. If I need anything else porting I'll let you know ;)

Once everything is done I think I'll try to get it dyno'd.

looks good mate, think you will regret not doing the cam covers while its so easy. once you have put it back together your not going to want to remove it all again at a later date.

You're probably right mate.

Are they very easy to remove, just a few bolts? Must admit I've not looked properly at them yet.

If I can get them off tomorrow and get them done in time for refitting everything Friday/later tomorrow I might have a go.

You're probably right mate.

Are they very easy to remove, just a few bolts? Must admit I've not looked properly at them yet.

If I can get them off tomorrow and get them done in time for refitting everything Friday/later tomorrow I might have a go.

Youve done the hard bit mate, there is 8 bolts on each and they lift off job done. If I was you I would chuck a fresh set of cam cover seal on to as they are prone to go, and again they will be done and you wont have to worry about them again.

Just don't wrench them up tight when re-fitting as they only need to be lightly torqued. not sure if you have a torque wrench but if not just lightly nip them up in a criss cross routeen.

Youve done the hard bit mate, there is 8 bolts on each and they lift off job done. If I was you I would chuck a fresh set of cam cover seal on to as they are prone to go, and again they will be done and you wont have to worry about them again.

Just don't wrench them up tight when re-fitting as they only need to be lightly torqued. not sure if you have a torque wrench but if not just lightly nip them up in a criss cross routeen.

Ok mate cool, thanks.

Sod it I'll give that a go tomorrow as well then.

As you say since I've got everything off I may as well do it.

I'm guessing these are probably best being polished as opposed to painting or is it a matter of preference?

By cam cover seal would 'liquid gasket' be an adequate alternative?

Ok mate cool, thanks.

Sod it I'll give that a go tomorrow as well then.

As you say since I've got everything off I may as well do it.

I'm guessing these are probably best being polished as opposed to painting or is it a matter of preference?

By cam cover seal would 'liquid gasket' be an adequate alternative?

I wouldn't polish them without removing the baffles from the underside and cleaning them out and re-sealing. If you mask them up well enough I would just give them a once over and paint them tbh. Would be a much quicker job considering your time scale.

RE the cam cover seal i wouldnt be using anything other than a genuine set. They only cost around £20. Probably better just sticking with your current ones as long as they arnt leaking rather than putting some liquid gasket on.

I wouldn't polish them without removing the baffles from the underside and cleaning them out and re-sealing. If you mask them up well enough I would just give them a once over and paint them tbh. Would be a much quicker job considering your time scale.

RE the cam cover seal i wouldnt be using anything other than a genuine set. They only cost around £20. Probably better just sticking with your current ones as long as they arnt leaking rather than putting some liquid gasket on.

Ok mate cool, thanks again.

I'll have a look tomorrow and see how I feel about adding more work to my day haha.

Great work on intake :), now you've ported, thought about a Mines ECU too? ;)

Also if you want some cam cover seals, I have a pair of these mate.

Mine's ECU is on my to do/to buy list mate 100%.

I don't need the cam cover seals though thanks.

Whilst I appreciate the advice on removing and painting etc I decided to do them in place. Not painted, but sanded/smoothed/polished.

Mid process:

attachment.php?attachmentid=209255&stc=1&d=1455820006

After pics once it is all refitted.

Also did my version of wire tucking today, which involved sorting out the absolute mess of cables and so on leading to the HIDs and other assorted random Japanese stuff. This involved black masking tape and not a lot else.

Looks much tidier though (this is before tucking it in behind the fuse box and so on):

attachment.php?attachmentid=209256&stc=1&d=1455820006

So, the reason for me not wanting to remove the cam covers and do them that way is because I have been working to a set plan each day.

Today that involved refitting all of the engine parts.

Which hasn't gone to plan....

20160218_112434.jpg

20160218_121243.jpg

So I then set about getting ready to refit everything I had painted and ported and so on.

My first problem was one of my own making - when masking everything up I was a bit heavy handed and uneven, so when removing the masking tape I took some of the paint off too.

What I had to do is use a sponge and hammerite and dab it on to try to get the same finish.

Luckily most of this is on the underside of parts where it won't be seen anyway but I wanted it to be right.

Anyway, heatshield fitted (this was just done in heat resistant hammerite so didn't need to be absolutely perfect):

attachment.php?attachmentid=209257&stc=1&d=1455820445

Manifold back on with new gaskets gratefully received from Parm:

attachment.php?attachmentid=209258&stc=1&d=1455820445

Y Branch ready to refit, you can see on the underside here where I have mentioned the paint needed touching up:

attachment.php?attachmentid=209260&stc=1&d=1455820445

Throttle assembly starting to go back together with some nice new fixings also:

attachment.php?attachmentid=209259&stc=1&d=1455820445

This is where I got up to today when the light started to fade:

attachment.php?attachmentid=209261&stc=1&d=1455820445

Onto the next cock up.

I obviously took apart the throttle body (springs and stuff) to paint it all, and forgot to do a before picture.

So now I have no idea how it all goes back together which slowed me right down today. Will need to find a picture tonight and either attempt it this evening or first thing in the morning.

Then I can finish tidying up the cam covers, and the engine bay will be coming along nicely.

20160218_125540.jpg

20160218_135352.jpg

20160218_145446.jpg

20160218_151943.jpg

20160218_155216.jpg

Windscreen cowl easy to get off mate?

Very easy mate.

Remove the rubber strip under the bonnet that's help in by push in clips.

Remove wipers, then about 5 screws give or take, then kind of lever it out on way then the other.

There are two rubbery bung wedge type things either side.

Refitting is just the reverse.