The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Kendo's Ridox Rep

Kendo11

Looking really tidy mate, makes me miss it :(

Good idea on the spats, I never got round to doing them but they were next on my list for sure.

Makes me happy to see it being treated nicely, I enjoy keeping tabs on her haha! Good luck with the plans bud :thumbs:

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of updates for the Do-Luck bumper I've been respraying in full DIY style.

Yesterday the lacquer had completely cured (more importantly there was no solvent smell) so I got out the buffing pads and set to work.

First off I had to wet sand it gently to take the lacquer down a level, to get a very matte finish.

Then to complete the work I used a Meguiars compound to really bring out the shine.

I still need to go over it with a proper finishing compound like G3 though, as the Meguiars I used is more of a polish.

Post sand, before buff;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193546&stc=1&d=1414938371

After buffing with the Meguars, nice reflection of the ceiling strip light;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193547&stc=1&d=1414938371

As I said I need to finish it with G3, but it is now ready to go on the car!!!!

Not perfect but bear in mine all of this has been done by hand, the polishing was especially hard with a load of J cloths and elbow grease. No professional tools in sight!

Thanks for looking.

Comments/criticism welcome.

IMAG0381.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0388.jpg

Edited by Kendo11 (see edit history)

Got the Do-Luck fitted over the weekend.

Jobs still to do to completely finish;

- Take it off and re-align as it's about 10mm too far to the right.

- Remove and re-re-furbish headlights and refit seals.

- Refit bonnet seal.

- Sort a new numberplate as currently it's bolted on through the mesh. Untidy.

- Fit wider front wings as the bumper juts a little.

Obviously the last point will mean getting wheel spacers for the fronts. Then the rears to match up. Then wider rear arches, aaaaaaaaaaaand the list goes on!

So, a quick before picture;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193550&stc=1&d=1414938645

During;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193551&stc=1&d=1414938645

Next up the facelift indicators.

I didn't fancy modifying the looms to suit or splicing in new wires, so modified the new housings to fit the existing bulbs and holders.

This was an extremely scientific procedure involving some precision tools, namely a Stanley knife and a file;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193552&stc=1&d=1414938645

A couple of shots showing how it looks and the the work I did on the complete amateur DIY respray. Not a bad colour match, very happy with it;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193553&stc=1&d=1414938645

attachment.php?attachmentid=193554&stc=1&d=1414938645

IMAG0392.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg

Tiny update for this evening, running slightly iffy so I've replaced both gaskets from Y branch and Throttle Body, and I also have my O2 sensors currently sat in the good old lemon juice;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193555&stc=1&d=1414938882

Also as per the bumper opinion thread I took the lower chin off, but think it now looks far too high. So to balance the in your face look of the chin with a little subtlety I'm repainting it black;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193556&stc=1&d=1414938882

attachment.php?attachmentid=193558&stc=1&d=1414938921

Cheers

IMAG0423.jpg

IMAG0422.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg

IMAG0425.jpg

Thanks guys, hopefully fitting black lip today.

Looking good so far! Best way to learn is throw yourself in the deep end and to make a good job of it afterwards - satisfaction! Not a fan of that do luck front, but can appreciate the work u've put into this

Thanks mate.

The issue I have with the work I'm doing is entirely a personal one - impatience.

I have always rushed things on other cars (probably because they've been rovers and fords that I've not been arsed about) but with this I really need to reign myself in sometimes and just take my time with things. Doesn't help that it's my daily driver but making a good job of everything is what I must try to do.

• 5 weeks later...

The Veilside rear spats were also a little untidy I noticed when I got the car. Slightly untrue fitting as well as having a few cracks here and there.

I managed to get them off but obviously the glue/tape used to fit them left a bit of residue. Did my best to get this off but the spats will be going back on anyway.

Off;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193561&stc=1&d=1414939316

Cracked;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193562&stc=1&d=1414939316

Off the other side too, and after a good clean;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193564&stc=1&d=1414939316

attachment.php?attachmentid=193565&stc=1&d=1414939316

Looks good without the spats but I prefer them on plus it suits it more with it having skirts and the bumper, so they will be going back on.

This backside definitely needs a nice diffuser or trial rear. Jobs for the future;

IMAG0509.jpg

IMAG0512.jpg

IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0514.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

So, time for some serious work.

Spats are off and need some proper repairs as the fitting was off, I didn't like the reflectors, and there are cracks and damaged points on them.

Excellent stuff used to remove the adhesive used to stick them on, as well as the remaining adhesive material left on the back of the spats. Obviously this needed to come off in order to get a nice fit when putting back on;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193569&stc=1&d=1414939843

Serious heat damage from the exhaust on one of the spats, as well as repairing this I will also need to think of some way to prevent this in future;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193570&stc=1&d=1414939843

Sanded back to make a better bond, shows how bad the crack is;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193571&stc=1&d=1414939843

First few patches of fibreglass being applied;

attachment.php?attachmentid=193572&stc=1&d=1414939843

Extremely good kit, and I get it very cheap through work!

attachment.php?attachmentid=193573&stc=1&d=1414939843

Next up test the bond tomorrow on all pieces, then sand back and get to work on other slight damaged sections on them.

The were originally screwed in which was secure but unsightly, so I'll be filling the screw holes in and then it's a case of prep for painting and re-fitting.

Cheers

IMAG0529.jpg

IMAG0531.jpg

IMAG0532.jpg

IMAG0535.jpg

IMAG0534.jpg

Same FG kits I started with. I still use the same Davids stuff now, but buy it all seperately (resin, glass, hardener) as it works out cheaper in the long run ;)

I'm on my 3rd kit so far in about 3 months, costing me £3 all in but per kit yes if I keep going this way and keep finding imperfections you're right I'll definitely have to buy it all separately! :)

Glad you've finally got round to doing the spats, was never happy with how they looked/fitted/condition they were in.

... And now we know about that they are genuine Top Secret products, I'll expect an extra £250 direct into my bank account please :sly:

Hahaha, keep up the good work.

Glad you've finally got round to doing the spats, was never happy with how they looked/fitted/condition they were in.

... And now we know about that they are genuine Top Secret products, I'll expect an extra £250 direct into my bank account please :sly:

Hahaha, keep up the good work.

They are off and in the process of being repaired mate, just about shattered for tonight but will upload some progress pictures soon!

Haha genuine fake ;)