The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Supes' UK-Spec - The Story So Far

Big Supes

12 minutes ago, Mike2JZ said:

Just about at the crank, probably not at the wheels. Depends on turbo and setup really. Personally if I was trying to do it on a 4'', I'd using something from ETS or Garrett core, they are the only manufacturer that rates their cores with around 4'' sizing to 1000hp and have good air charge cooling properties. 

Thanks uncle Mike. X

19 hours ago, Chingy said:

Yeah she is coming along, really pleased with the progress and again SRD smashing.

Definitely, look forward to catching up …. Maybe over a Nandos 😉

Good luck with the build 

I'm always down for a cheeky Nandos. 😁

I'll be in touch next time I'm down buddy. 

10 hours ago, Noz said:

4" for 1k? 😍

My bad. I thought judging by your thread that you were aiming for 700bhp.

10 hours ago, Mike2JZ said:

You wont have a noticable lag increase going from 4'' to 5''

I was under the impression there would be judging from numerous people saying they experienced a noticeable lag increase. Maybe they failed to highlight they also increased the size of their turbo lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Supes said:

My bad. I thought judging by your thread that you were aiming for 700bhp.

Only because my turbo bro. I have another one, and want the big ticket one day.

Just scoping what I could do before I went for something crazy.

It's a difficult call still. You can do so much more, the more you spend its really an compounding effect. If I spend another k I get pistons. Add a few more k gey a stroker. Add a few more k get a head too lol fuck sake so I even fix this or make a space rocket. 🚀 😄 

Do you have a hp goal?

17 minutes ago, Noz said:

Only because my turbo bro. I have another one, and want the big ticket one day.

Just scoping what I could do before I went for something crazy.

It's a difficult call still. You can do so much more, the more you spend its really an compounding effect. If I spend another k I get pistons. Add a few more k gey a stroker. Add a few more k get a head too lol fuck sake so I even fix this or make a space rocket. 🚀 😄 

Do you have a hp goal?

It's easy to go down that bottomless rabbit hole lol. 😂

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be satisfied with 650-700ish wheel horsepower, tbh. I can only see myself going forged and doing other bits and pieces if the engine needs opening up. 

The way I see it is, I've had the car almost 10 years and done 20k miles. Asking for another 20k on a well set up single? It should be feasible. 

Today's target complete. 

Deleted traction control and removed the manifold studs that had sheered off. 

Hung manifold and tubby in place. Clocked said tubby with a final adjustment on the inlet when it comes to the pipework from the FMIC

Side note, manifold with titanium studs kit are sexy AF. 😍

I like how far forward the turbo sits. It gives me more room to route the wastegates and adjust the downpipe. 

I'm aiming to recirc the wastegates, but if it's a ballache, I really don't mind the idea of a couple of screamer pipes. 

I think the next step will be to mount the mid and downpipe with a view to cut and make-fit. 

20220430_173410.jpg

20220430_173357.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Playing pretend fabrication man today...

Whifbitz 4" downpipe chopped up, cable tied in place and last pie cut measured and cut. If all goes well, the mid section should be snug up against the underside of the car as well. 

I'm kinda struggling to mig weld stainless, tbh. I'm using stainless 308 wire and an argon/co2 mix. I've experimented with different settings, but the symptoms I'm getting are indicative of a bad earth. I've cleaned the earth on the welder, ground back the material and used alcohol to final clean and still it welds like shit. As a result, I've tacked it in place and I'm going to take it to a buddies fab shop to politely ask him if he'll tig it up for me. 

Annoying, but I can't live with shit welds, even if they're hidden under heat wraps. 😂

20220508_173143.jpg

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Burna said:

You may want to extend the outlet on the turbo to keep the silicon joiner away from the heat of that manifold mate.

5E6E089D-F80A-44D0-8D43-9655C8AD7EDB.jpeg

That's a good call. At a glance when clocking the turbo, I thought about welding on a 90, but will have a proper look when I come to hooking up the FMIC. 👍

1 minute ago, Big Supes said:

That's a good call. At a glance when clocking the turbo, I thought about welding on a 90, but will have a proper look when I come to hooking up the FMIC. 👍

Mine use to be a 90 degree when it was on a Chris Wilson SMIC, but when I switched to the ETS FMIC it had to be changed to straight down due to the route of the ETS piping kit.

E218A9AB-1B66-4323-982F-79C8620858DB.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Supes said:

Whifbitz 4" downpipe chopped up, cable tied in place and last pie cut measured and cut. If all goes well, the mid section should be snug up against the underside of the car as well. 

I'm kinda struggling to mig weld stainless, tbh. I'm using stainless 308 wire and an argon/co2 mix. I've experimented with different settings, but the symptoms I'm getting are indicative of a bad earth. I've cleaned the earth on the welder, ground back the material and used alcohol to final clean and still it welds like shit. As a result, I've tacked it in place and I'm going to take it to a buddies fab shop to politely ask him if he'll tig it up for me. 

Annoying, but I can't live with shit welds, even if they're hidden under heat wraps. 😂

20220508_173143.jpg

Great progress mate 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dieter said:

oh ha, with welding of noble wire not an easy thing, but you will surely manage it, otherwise ask a buddy if he can help

I should hopefully find out tomorrow what the issue was as I'm sure it's something to do with the material. 

Buddy to the rescue is going to hopefully be the way forward. 🙂

1 hour ago, Chingy said:

Great progress mate 👍

Thanks my dude. 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Big Supes said:

20220508_173143.jpg

Nice mate 😎

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Noz said:

Elbow on the turbo a good choice. Always killing silicone elbows otherwise.

Spot weld the pipe mate. Then get someone to tig it properly. Easiest way.

Tbh, I'm not the biggest fan of silcone joins fullstop. 

Downpipe was dropped off at my buddys this morning. He said it won't take him long to tig it up. 👍

5 hours ago, Luxluc said:

Nice mate 😎

Cheers dude. 

• Like 1

Cheeky day off so dropped the elbow off at the welders. 

Whipped the seats out as they're up for sale and I also need better access to the ECU. 

Considering putting up the complete OE audio set up for sale which consists of the OEM stereo, 6 disc CD-changer and under-seat amplifier. 

You honestly wouldn't think this was original carpet straight out of 1995...

I wouldn't say it's concourse, but it's a real testament to being well looked after for 27 years. 👍

20220509_125622.jpg

20220509_125604.jpg

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Rubber and centre caps fitted. They're just patiently waiting to go on now. 

Apologies for the lack of updates, I've genuinely been so busy working on the car trying to meet a friends kids prom, but I intend to do a big catch up once it's running.

20220703_130302.jpg

20220703_130036.jpg

• Like 4