The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Supes' UK-Spec - The Story So Far

Big Supes

1 hour ago, Dieter said:

Hi, hello, very nice combination with tyres and rims, what dimension are the tyres

Thanks mate, they're 265/35/r18 on the front and 285/30/r18 on the rear. 

I've forgotten the offset, but the rears are pretty much perfect on stock arches, but the fronts require a 10mm spacer to clear the UK brakes. Not the end of the world, mind you. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dieter said:

Hi, mate, 265 for the front and 285 for the rear axle....., respect, I drive 245/30/19 at the front and 255/30/19 at the rear and the tyres are Hankook Ventus EVO 3, I am very happy with the grip, even in the rain.

Nice, it goes to show just how important the choice of tyre is. 

I found it hard to get tyres for the rears so ended up going with P Zeros all round. I tried to source R888's, but the distributors in my area said they can't get them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The P Zeros should do the job for a bit. 

Toyo R888 -- Er macht aus Kurven Geraden.“ Auf trockenem warmen Asphalt mit warmen Reifen übertrifft er alle meine Erwartungen: Grip und Traktion „ohne Ende“ – im Vergleich zu einem wirklich guten Sommerreifen: mind. 50 % mehr..,
Nachteil!!! Wenn der Reifen ist kalt, die Straße ist nass und kalt - vielleicht Regen - der Reifen röhrt,
wenn man ihn nur mit Grip und auf der Rennstrecke benutzt, ohne Regen, dann ist er sicher sehr gut.

Pirelli P Zero - strong grip with a lot of comfort
Thanks to reinforced tyre sidewalls, the Pirelli tyre has high lateral traction. The summer tyre is also convincing in heavy rain and scores with short braking distances. In curves, the sipes keep the tyre safely on track even in wet conditions.

I think you made a good choice with the Pirelli tyre.

Edited by Dieter
Correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 7:52 AM, Dieter said:

Toyo R888 -- Er macht aus Kurven Geraden.“ Auf trockenem warmen Asphalt mit warmen Reifen übertrifft er alle meine Erwartungen: Grip und Traktion „ohne Ende“ – im Vergleich zu einem wirklich guten Sommerreifen: mind. 50 % mehr..,
Nachteil!!! Wenn der Reifen ist kalt, die Straße ist nass und kalt - vielleicht Regen - der Reifen röhrt,
wenn man ihn nur mit Grip und auf der Rennstrecke benutzt, ohne Regen, dann ist er sicher sehr gut.

Pirelli P Zero - strong grip with a lot of comfort
Thanks to reinforced tyre sidewalls, the Pirelli tyre has high lateral traction. The summer tyre is also convincing in heavy rain and scores with short braking distances. In curves, the sipes keep the tyre safely on track even in wet conditions.

I think you made a good choice with the Pirelli tyre.

Let's hope so mate. They seem to perform pretty well on a mates big single which gave me confidence in getting them as a last resort. 

I'm hoping by the time it comes change them, the Pilot Sport 5's will be available in my sizes. 

Update...

Downpipe is done, and more importantly, it actually fits, which is handy. 

So, I ended up buying a tig welder and put the time in to get familiar with it. There was so much work to do, it was the only way to get it done as favours only go so far lol. My welds aren't the prettiest so go easy on me lol. My main focus was strength and no leaks. Tbh, this was a bit above my pay grade, but with determination and perseverance, it finally got there in the end. 

I managed to source a Whifbitz 4" cat back system to marry up with the mid pipe so in theory it shouldn't have been too much work, but after getting it all to fit, I wasn't happy with how low the mid pipe hung so it was back to the drawing board. 

I decided to chop the midpipe, decrease the angle of the bend so it can sit a lot tighter to the body and adjust the downpipe again. The end result is the midpipe now has a little finger gap between it and the body. 👍

Once I was happy with the above it was time to get the wastegates sorted. I took some measurements and pictures of the gap between the downpipe and the steering column and body of the car and then removed the manifold and screwed it to the wall of my garage for ease of access. 

One wastegate is fixed as vibrant bellows seem to be a PITA to get hold of. Fortunately a standard flex pipe could be used for the other as it's pretty challenging to get it 100% perfect as 1mm of error on the flange can throw the downpipe to turbo out 5mm which equates to inches where it meets the midpipe. I appreciate it'll likely warp once its ran a load of boost, but I'll have the vibrant bellow ready and waiting to plum in next time the downpipe is removed. 

I opted to recirc the wastegates as I'm a bit oldskool and like all the noise to come out of the rear of the car whilst hearing that old S300 whisling its tits off up the front. That being said, I think screamer pipes are still incredibly cool. Coming on boost feels like an event. 😁👍

Once everything fitted I was really pleased and went to fit my magnificent creation into the car only to find out my big old saxophone was too big to squeeze past the manifold and it was too big to stuff down the gap and fit the manifold after. 😭😅

Back to the drawing board again to make the second wastegate removable with Vbands. So, the order of installation is as follows... Manifold, insert downpipe into position, turbo, connect downpipe and then connect wastegates and remaining wastegate pipe. 👍

20220524_092657.jpg

20220604_123345.jpg

20220612_141515.jpg

20220603_142124.jpg

20220617_141454.jpg

20220628_211854.jpg

20220709_170934.jpg

• Like 2

Manifold, turbo and downpipe bolted down. 

New OEM water pump, thermostat, cam belt, tensioner and idle pulley fitted. Also went for a new fluid crank pulley. 

TT water outlets welded shut and capped off. Speaking of the water pipes, I performed the heat matrix mod to free up the pipe work and moved the T-piece forward to allow more room for the downpipe. 

I'm undecided which route to run the oil feed to the turbo and whether it needs some heat protection. 

20220709_115727.jpg

20220710_112339.jpg

20220711_185509.jpg

20220711_192715.jpg

20220711_192721.jpg

20220711_192432.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mattdavies said:

Looking good. 

When/If I eventually go single turbo then the Whifbitz hotside is on the cards

Absolutely. Works well with the SRD FMIC

Obviously it depends on what turbo/manifold combo you run, but you can see from the pictures it gets you 90% there. 

• Like 1

I bet you had great fun trying to plumb back those wastegates 😄 Its good to see that you did not just plumb it back in at a 90deg angle as most do. It makes a suprising difference.

We know the pain with the bellows, theres a global shortage at the minute. If you were not aware, the flex pipe you have used is designed for side to side movement (good for an exhaust), whereas bellows types are designed for compression (when the pipework gets hot and expands). If you get a failure that will most likely be the reason.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Walton Motorsport said:

I bet you had great fun trying to plumb back those wastegates 😄 Its good to see that you did not just plumb it back in at a 90deg angle as most do. It makes a suprising difference.

We know the pain with the bellows, theres a global shortage at the minute. If you were not aware, the flex pipe you have used is designed for side to side movement (good for an exhaust), whereas bellows types are designed for compression (when the pipework gets hot and expands). If you get a failure that will most likely be the reason.

Hey, it's a bit of a lonely old learning curve sometimes so I appreciate the feedback re the exhaust flex! I've had two Vibrant stainless bellows on order for months, but what's even more annoying is, I cancelled my previous order as I thought I'd get them elsewhere sooner. 🤦‍♂️

I'm happy you noticed I gave some thought about exhaust flow plumbing them back in, and yeah, it was a royal PITA given my experience and limited tools to hand. 😂 I spent quite a while die grinding everything flat inside the pipe as I was stuffing filler rods into the gaps like they were going out of fashion. 😅🤣

Going back to the flex pipe, I hope it can see me through until the vibrant bellows turn up. 🤞

• Like 1

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Yeah, like being able to stop when some numpty pulls out in front of you. 😅

Bride seat rails for my Recaro's I've had in storage for years and a brand new OEM air conditioner condenser. 

Sadly, the local ginger cat in my mums street has damaged the base of the seats by scratching them, but it is what it is. I'll get them refurbed down the road.

That's what you get when you have a cat flap on your garage! 

20220714_174918.jpg

20220714_174935.jpg

• Like 3

Tubby is back from my buddy's. He kindly welded on the 45 degree elbow as my welder doesn't have AC. Tomorrow I'll drop the compressor housing off to Turbo Dynamics for the pressure nipple to be fitted. I had to go there to buy the nipple so they may as we drill/tap/fit it as well. 

I wasn't quite sure how to wire in the AEM wideband using the analogue outputs so after a bit of reading up, I've ordered a CAN lead to utilise the AEMnet and CAN port on the Link. 

In the meantime, I can weld the boss on the cold side IC pipe and using a handy wiring guide @Mike2JZsent me, tap into the MAF wires for the signal/feed for the IAT sensor. 

By this stage, we should be very close to cranking the engine and getting it running again. 🙏

20220719_200939.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Compressor housing is done and fitted. 

I've got a bit of a dilemma with my wheel and brake set up. 😭

I foolishly was under the impression the K Sports would be an easier fit than my UK brakes as they're slimmer, but the overall diameter of the disc and caliper seems to be the issue. 

Potential options.... 

1) Drop down to a 330mm disc from the 356mm and hope the caliper brackets for the 330mm give me 13mm movement off the circumference. This along with shortening the bleed nipples would probably sort it. 

2) Go 20mm hubcentric spacers and widebody front wings, but I'm a bit weary about the geo/castor though. My first mkiv had leary front wheels and it was like steering an oil tanker on tight bends. Another thing that puts me off is I'd want to widen the rear in the winter, but the rear wheel offset would require spacing.... a lot, which is a no-go. 

3) See if I can return the brakes. 

4)Sell the wheels. 

Edit: Option 5) contact SSR wheels for a price on two rims for the front with a different offset, swap the tyres over and bolt in the centre spokes. 

Option 1 seems the most logical, tbh. What an effin PITA. 

20220730_110829.jpg

20220730_161305.jpg

20220730_161246.jpg

20220730_161237.jpg

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mattdavies said:

Have you tried the rear wheel on to see if the center is different ? 

If not I would swap to the smaller front brake setup 

I haven't mate and K Sport no-likey returns.

I'm picking up a pair of +20mm NUR carbon wings this Thursday from @Delboy52 so a pair of 20mm hubcentric spacers should do the job. 👍

• Like 3