The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Supes' UK-Spec - The Story So Far

Big Supes

13 hours ago, Burna said:

An OEM one would do the job, but it's finding one. I went with the SRD kit in black as I didn't want to wait until a stock one came up for sale. I also fitted the top rad plate at the same time to seal everything off and force all the air through the intercooler and rad.

Gotcha. Good call on the rad plate mate. 👍

Just been having a look at the SRD ally undertrays. Ideally I'd like to lose the OE plastic as it's getting a bit tatty, tbh. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pf85 said:

@Big Supes have you got a run out yet with the new box installed? Interested to see if the bag of rocks noise is no longer a thing with the new upgraded housing and clutch. If you don't mind me asking what was the total including import fees as I'm thinking of going down that route myself?

Yes mate, I've completed the running in phase and then took it off the road to do some other bits. Will be back on the road this weekend to swap in the new trans fluid. 

Noise wise, you can definitely hear the chatter, but it's only around 2000rpm and then it's gone. Absolutely silent on idle and coasting in traffic with no awkward looks from pedestrians, etc as you do with a lightened flywheel. 

The noise might bother some as we're all different, but for me it's bareable and is a small cost to run a brand new high performance 6sp box. 

As for the box itself, it really does feel great. The gear selection is really positive, no wobbliness or grey areas and I like how it springs back to the centre in the neutral position. It's tight. The ratio is perfect with my large case LSD. It's quick off the line and the car feels super responsive now. It's like a different car, TBH. 6th gear is almost identical to overdrive so it feels like the best of both worlds. 

The Clutch feels like a generic clutch and not one that can handle 1000bhp. 

I'm really pleased with it, but to answer your question, yes, there's a bit of chatter. 

I think I payed around 8.5k all in. My brain does a good job of suppressing how much I spend on cars. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the info that's really good to know! Hmm I was hoping there would be zero chatter from it if I'm honest as I'm very particular and that would annoy me but yes for being able to handle that level of power there's always a trade off of some sort. 

Theres a guy on here from Ireland selling a refurbished v160 for £6k (from memory I think..) it's hard to know if I should maybe just go down this route instead 🤔 

10 minutes ago, pf85 said:

Thanks for the info that's really good to know! Hmm I was hoping there would be zero chatter from it if I'm honest as I'm very particular and that would annoy me but yes for being able to handle that level of power there's always a trade off of some sort. 

Theres a guy on here from Ireland selling a refurbished v160 for £6k (from memory I think..) it's hard to know if I should maybe just go down this route instead 🤔 

If it's refurbished, warrantied and you can get the rest of the bits within your budget, I don't think you can really go wrong with either option bud. 

I would feel a lot more comfortable going down the V160 route if there were more parts available for the box. On that note, there's rumours that wish could be granted with the heritage parts, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

• Like 1

That's the thing the box has been sitting up since the refurbishment so there's no warranty on it which is putting me off buying it. As you say parts for them have massively dried up which is a risk. Any chance you could grab a video sometime of the rattle to give me a better idea? The t56 route is looking best looking at the longer term supportability 

Edited by pf85
I cant spell (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pf85 said:

@Big Supes just checking in to see if you managed to take a video of out on a drive with the new box? 

Sorry mate, I've only nipped out in it here and there to test some changes. 

One thing I got round to doing yesterday was ditching the running-in oil for some ATF. As Tremec are currently out of stock of their HP-MTF, I opted for the factory issue Dextron III which is a lot thinner for warranty purposes. The only downside I've noticed is its louder now. 

I'll get a video up anyway. I'll prob do another once I've swapped the Tremec fluid in for comparison. 

1 hour ago, pf85 said:

@Big Supes just checking in to see if you managed to take a video of out on a drive with the new box? 

I do have this video for the time being. I recorded it immediately after the first start up.

Baring in mind the phone is right next to the box, you can hear it's pretty quiet on idle. 👍

• Like 1

Thanks, that sounds lovely and quiet!! There's surprisingly not many videos online of the new 700A conversations but I guess they aren't out long. I did see one guy on YouTube saying that the transmission fluid type did make a massive difference especially when not up to temperature 

12 hours ago, pf85 said:

Thanks, that sounds lovely and quiet!! There's surprisingly not many videos online of the new 700A conversations but I guess they aren't out long. I did see one guy on YouTube saying that the transmission fluid type did make a massive difference especially when not up to temperature 

Yeah, it's pretty silent on idle, cruising and above 2500rpm. 

Like I said before, you can hear it chatter under load around 2000rpm, but it's completely gone by 2700ish. The ATF has made a big difference (louder), but I'm just happy for the time being knowing I can give it some now and it's running fluid that's accepted for warranty. 

If you can handle the noise, there's a ton of up sides to the conversion.

I actually have some Dynamat left over from my 300zx build that I might chuck on the trans tunnel of the Supra for the sake of it. 

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)

• Big Supes changed the title to Big Supes' UK-Spec - The Story So Far

Bit of an update...

Lee @ SRD hooked me up with some brand new OE coil packs and coil pack clips. The clips fit like a dream and were easy to solder onto the harness. The difference it has made is quite astonishing tbh which tells me the old ignition system was a bit tired. 

Also picked up and fitted one their aluminium bumper undertrays. Really pleased with the fitment and quality of the kit. 

In the process of ordering up a LinkG4X plug 'n play ECU. As I'm going to be running the single set up on the stock UK-Spec fuelling for a bit, I've taken Lee's advice to get the ECU on before hand instead of risking melting a piston or two. I figure I may as well get it on sooner rather than later while I wait for the manifold and turbo to arrive. 

20220121_141403.thumb.jpg.56c59ee521ddd318d39258d509951975.jpg

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mattdavies said:

Fitting the ECU before is a good shout, its all to easy to make do but if its in the plan and you can do it then why not for the extra safety that ECU will give you. 

I look forward to the progress 

Yeah, that's it. I was under the impression the UK cars could run a single set up due to having the ability to measure air flow via the MAF sensor, but apparently it doesn't take a lot for the AFR's to get out of whack. 

It'll be interesting to see what difference can be made to BPU for now. I'd like to get the idle richness ironed out for starters. 

2 minutes ago, Big Supes said:

Yeah, that's it. I was under the impression the UK cars could run a single set up due to having the ability to measure air flow via the MAF sensor, but apparently it doesn't take a lot for the AFR's to get out of whack. 

It'll be interesting to see what difference can be made to BPU for now. I'd like to get the idle richness ironed out for starters. 

I think there was a white one running a single on a stock ECU that @keron had many moons ago.

6 minutes ago, Tyson said:

I think there was a white one running a single on a stock ECU that @keron had many moons ago.

Yeah, I've heard of a few people running on the stock ECU in the past. I recall a chap on FB with a UK-Spec resprayed blue running a small single set up too. 

I guess if you've for a decent wideband you can monitor it, something I did consider, although I'm trying to avoid multiple gauges tbh. 

Just hearing the AFR's weren't great to begin with in past experience tests was enough for me to bin the idea. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Big Supes said:

You're right you can, I did for a while, but it's not the wisest tbh. It works, but the driveability is a bit lacking. The difference between the way it drives on the stock ecu compared to it being properly mapped on a LINK ecu by someone who knows what they are doing is night and day! When I took the car for a test drive with Mike after he finished my car I was blown away with how well it drove when just cruising about, it was just like stock with very little lag or hesitation! It was very different on stock ecu 😕

I will emphasise that a car on any aftermarket ecu is only as good as your mapper. I know of people who are tight and have mapped them thereselves, but they don't drive great or give out the numbers expected, but they don't know any different tbh. Don't skimp on one of the most important parts of a build.

4 minutes ago, Big Supes said:

Yeah, I've heard of a few people running on the stock ECU in the past. I recall a chap on FB with a UK-Spec resprayed blue running a small single set up too. 

I guess if you've for a decent wideband you can monitor it, something I did consider, although I'm trying to avoid multiple gauges tbh. 

Just hearing the AFR's weren't great to begin with in past experience tests was enough for me to bin the idea. 

And if you are adding cams it's a definite no no, mine was leaning out on the dyno when we checked it before the new ecu went in. It was putting out over 500fwhp though! lol

19 minutes ago, Big Supes said:

The Link will monitor AFRs and the likes for you and react so much quicker then you can dream to anything that isnt right 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Burna said:

You're right you can, I did for a while, but it's not the wisest tbh. It works, but the driveability is a bit lacking. The difference between the way it drives on the stock ecu compared to it being properly mapped on a LINK ecu by someone who knows what they are doing is night and day! When I took the car for a test drive with Mike after he finished my car I was blown away with how well it drove when just cruising about, it was just like stock with very little lag or hesitation! It was very different on stock ecu 😕

I will emphasise that a car on any aftermarket ecu is only as good as your mapper. I know of people who are tight and have mapped them thereselves, but they don't drive great or give out the numbers expected, but they don't know any different tbh. Don't skimp on one of the most important parts of a build.

For the time being I'll more than likely just run the base MKIV map and look into any improvements that can be made. No point going for mapping at this stage. 

Once the single kit is on, I'll be calling SRD for it to hit the dyno with Mike. Next year the cams and fuel system will be added to an engine refresh. It'll be remapped again by SRD. 

As much as I love a tinker, I'd prefer someone who already knows all the ins and outs to get the best out of my car, and safely. 👍

• Like 2