The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you calculate how much HP a turbo will add?

calebharry

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at his previous post here you will see his is indeed a 15 year old kid....

I'm not daft, I have seen those government funded ads, you know, the ones where a kid is typing one end and an adult acting as a kid is typing back!!!

One thing is sure, this young chap does always keep the posts ticking over :D

Edited by SPG (see edit history)

Ok, thanks for not being too ridiculous with the posts...

Im just gonna say straight up, honestly...

How much power will i get with 2 T78-29D's Or is that ridiculous? If it is completely stupid, what type of turbos (e.g TD07S-25G or smaller) Will i need to get 1200WHP or close to it?

Ok, thanks for not being too ridiculous with the posts...

Im just gonna say straight up, honestly...

How much power will i get with 2 T78-29D's Or is that ridiculous? If it is completely stupid, what type of turbos (e.g TD07S-25G or smaller) Will i need to get 1200WHP or close to it?

Wait until you are driving fast cars till you decide what power you want. 1200 proper WHP will be ridiculous to drive.

Trying to decide on turbos for a car your not going to be able to build for 10 years and then not afford to insure for another 10 is pointless.

It's like planning a build when the supra came out. Then fitting it today with an antique truck turbo. Even modern tubo tech on the market now will probably be old hat by the time you will get to drive your car. Especially with development to turbo tech that the new f1 engines will bring.

Trying to decide on turbos for a car your not going to be able to build for 10 years and then not afford to insure for another 10 is pointless.

It's like planning a build when the supra came out. Then fitting it today with an antique truck turbo. Even modern tubo tech on the market now will probably be old hat by the time you will get to drive your car. Especially with development to turbo tech that the new f1 engines will bring.

That's not very fantasia of you.

hell in that amount of time most people wont even know what a supra was , they are 20 years old now which is older they then him, so if you dont buy one now and store it and treat it what will you be bolting your turbo to a pile of orange dust?

i like your enthusiasm but your a long way off yet i really do hope that you live the dream and complete a build of 1200bhp but for a tiny 3ltr and even 3.4ltr its not going to be a very nice car to drive around town , best of luck to you and get the book that was previously posted and get a good understanding, also remember that a member bought you tghis years member ship and that you will have to pay for next years so start saving ;)

Lots of good points made in the last few posts. This is all friendly advice, not trying to pee on your chips:

Have you been in a 1200bhp car, or even something in the same order of magnitude as 1200bhp? If you have, have you spoken to the owner about the downsides of driving such a car? I don't know the downsides myself. People on here talk about them being hard to drive, but I don't really know what they mean. I'm not bothered about knowing because I'm not after a big-powered car, but you should know.

You ask about specific turbocharger models, but what's the chances they'll still be available when you come to build your car in 5-10 years ' time? Again, I genuinely don't know across what time period new turbos are sold (years? Decades?), but you should find out, otherwise you risk spending a lot of time drilling down into the detail, only to have to re-write it every x years because the parts you specified are out of production.

Guys... I havent been in a car that has over 500hp, fastest was a Impreza at a guess around 450hp? Well, i sat in a Gallardo once but not driving in it...

I dont care if this is going to be ridiculous, thats the point... I want my Supra to be Fast, Loud, Pretty, and Ridiculous!

Guys... I havent been in a car that has over 500hp, fastest was a Impreza at a guess around 450hp? Well, i sat in a Gallardo once but not driving in it...

I dont care if this is going to be ridiculous, thats the point... I want my Supra to be Fast, Loud, Pretty, and Ridiculous!

I'll put this in 15 year old terms, as I'm guessing the points being made are flying over your head.

Have you ever bought a PC? I'm guessing you have at least used one given that you are on the forum? Well, anyway..... what you are attempting right now is like planning a PC build 15 years in advance. Picking out the motherboard, the graphics card, the CPU etc, etc, etc. Writing down all the model numbers, configuration and asking questions on the benchmarks that the PC is capable of and how powerful it is.

FFWD 15 years and pull out that PC schematic. Everything in the list will be MILES out of date, massively superseeded and what you thought, at the time, would be a fast, high spec, machine is actually just a run of the mill lag monster with lots of high power consumption, inefficient, jumbled together, archaic bits that no longer run the modern equivalent of snake.

I loved to fantasise at 15 too. However, mine were quite a lot different, involved Bridgette Wilson and were a whole lot more likely to become reality.

Click the 'Turbo Tech' link here http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/

And about this, i went to their website, used the slidey bars on the right hand side, and put 1200-1400hp with the size and model open...

Only problem, is that those are all power rating for single turbos, for a Twin setup of 1200HP, would i select a 600-700hp turbo?

And about this, i went to their website, used the slidey bars on the right hand side, and put 1200-1400hp with the size and model open...

Only problem, is that those are all power rating for single turbos, for a Twin setup of 1200HP, would i select a 600-700hp turbo?

No that wouldn't make sense, you need to put in 1200HP as they both need to make that number to match otherwise it wouldn't be compatible with the ECU & could throw out the timing or cause the manifold to crack due to pressure.