The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Xbox One or PS4?

Septic

Indeed, hard to make judgement on the quality of the GFX when it's running off a £500+ card though :D

Another good reason to avoid. Windows 8 is worse than Vista.

Well the graphics was pretty amazing to be honest!! If that isn't the same quality of the graphics in the console then it would be false advertising!

No way is Windows 8 worse than Vista, not many things in life can be worse than Vista :D

It isn't the best OS release (hence 8.1 coming out) but the base OS is good, just the messy tile business etc isn't.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the detailed criticisms. :D The metro homescreen is merely optional. As my laptop isn't touch I use it to pin all my favourite apps and nothing more. As for the normal desktop mode, it's just a polished Windows 7.

There also aren't any compatibility issues as there were with Vista.

It's not polished at all. I've now had 5 computers in to, IMO, upgrade to windows 7 from windows 8. One of my mates had an issue when he was trying to install some questionable software, he asked me to have a look at it and it turned out that McAfee was causing some issues. I tried to disable McAfee for a brief spell in order to install it, it wouldn't let me. I tried to end the process... it wouldn't let me. From there I decided that McAfee was using a protection service to stop it from being disabled, I tried to disable the protection... you guessed it... it wouldn't let me.

McAfee uninstalled, Avast installed, PITA of a laptop handed back with questionable software also installed.

2 weeks later laptop was brought back in, Win H8 was ripped out and Windows 7 was installed.

Ask anyone who deals with any type of IT, computing or anything on any level other than user and they will tell you that Win 8 is a massive step backwards for M$. I guess you could even call it a sidestep as they are trying to mimmick the way Apple has been doing things for years. It's awful and the reason I wouldn't be seen dead with a Mac or Win8 PC.

Oh, the reference to Vista was in regard to all the hoops you need to jump through to bypass the idiot failsafes in order to do anything other than type up a word document.

Well the graphics was pretty amazing to be honest!! If that isn't the same quality of the graphics in the console then it would be false advertising!

No way is Windows 8 worse than Vista, not many things in life can be worse than Vista :D

It isn't the best OS release (hence 8.1 coming out) but the base OS is good, just the messy tile business etc isn't.

You heard it here first. The GFX won't even be comparable to the actual console when it's released. I can't comment on whether or not that's the same for the PS4, it wouldn't surprise me though.

It's awful IMO. The kernel is fantastic, the actual root of the OS... again... fantastic. The abononation they have built on top of it is just hideous.

Win7 is the stand out OS from M$ for me. It really was astounding. They took their fantastic XP OS and made it pretty with a sleak kernel... win win. Of course it wasn't without its faults and they learned from those mistakes with Win8, then they decided to go backwards... add in a million safeguards to stop anyone from doing anything without having to go through a ridiculous amount of unnecessary steps and then threw a crappy tile front end on top of it all to make it look like a mobile phone.

You're an apple fan though, I can see why you're OK with it ;)

You ripped Win 8 off because of a third party application? You realise McAfee requires a removal tool in order to remove it from all versions of Windows, right? You would have had to go through the same steps on Windows 7.

No you don't. I did this very thing last week when a guys computer kept freezing on him, again McAfee being the program to blame. Ripped it out via the "uninstall" in the control panel and the job was good.

Did I say that I wrote off win8 because of a third party application? I said that I didn't like the hoops I had to jump through to do very simple things and the bloated front end that isn't optional, it's only configurable.

Let's turn the card over... what do you like about Win 8? Is it the pretty colours?

No you don't. I did this very thing last week when a guys computer kept freezing on him, again McAfee being the program to blame. Ripped it out via the "uninstall" in the control panel and the job was good.

In that case, you didn't fully uninstall McAfee.

Did I say that I wrote off win8 because of a third party application? I said that I didn't like the hoops I had to jump through to do very simple things and the bloated front end that isn't optional, it's only configurable.

Again, you need a removal tool for McAfee in every version of Windows. Bloatware is also something that has been around for years.

Let's turn the card over... what do you like about Win 8? Is it the pretty colours?

I think its fast and the gestures make for easy navigation. Metro is great for touch and the live tiles are quite useful. What's best is that you can completely ignore all of that if you want and operate in desktop mode.

In that case, you didn't fully uninstall McAfee.

I did though.

Again, you need a removal tool for McAfee in every version of Windows. Bloatware is also something that has been around for years.

Again you don't. Bloatware is one thing, shipping the OEM OS out with a load of tosh you don't want is another. At least mediacentre could be ditched.

I think its fast and the gestures make for easy navigation. Metro is great for touch and the live tiles are quite useful. What's best is that you can completely ignore all of that if you want and operate in desktop mode.

I feel like this could go round in circles a lot, my boredom has reached an end so at this point I'll happily just agree to disagree. I'm glad you're happy with it though, I'll chalk your opinion up as the sole person I know that prefers Win8 to 7.

I did though.

Again you don't.

If you didn't the tool would be redundant/wouldn't exist. If you say you did, you were part of a percentage that didn't require the tool. The point I am trying to make is that uninstall issues surrounding McAfee has been going on for years and isn't a new thing with Windows 8.

Bloatware is one thing, shipping the OEM OS out with a load of tosh you don't want is another.

That pretty much summarises bloatware to me. ;) The bloatware in question is also down to the OEM and not the OS licencee.

At least mediacentre could be ditched.

It had been, but users requested it's return funnily enough. As a result it was brought back in some cases.

I feel like this could go round in circles a lot, my boredom has reached an end so at this point I'll happily just agree to disagree. I'm glad you're happy with it though, I'll chalk your opinion up as the sole person I know that prefers Win8 to 7.

Not trying to be a pain in the ass or anything, but I still don't see a lot of difference between the 7 & 8. But, I agree with you; this is boring...

..... as for that crappy Playstation?! That's a different matter!! :p;)

If you didn't the tool would be redundant/wouldn't exist. If you say you did, you were part of a percentage that didn't require the tool. The point I am trying to make is that uninstall issues surrounding McAfee has been going on for years and isn't a new thing with Windows 8.

The issue wasn't uninstalling McAfee, the issue was disabling it for 2 seconds so that I could install a certian piece of software. With windows 7 this is a very straight forward thing to do, with Windows 8 it was a nightmare. Even the task manager was hopeless. I had no issues removing McAfee.... although finding the control panel was a pain.

Edit: I didn't need the tool, I'd rather remove the registry settings than trust a "tool" to do it for me. I don't like automated things when I have custom settings.... just in case. Creature of habit.

That pretty much summarises bloatware to me. ;) The bloatware in question is also down to the OEM and not the OS licencee.

It had been, but users requested it's return funnily enough. As a result it was brought back in some cases.

There is a difference between an OEM install and an OEM OS. I'm talking about the OEM OS.... as in the bare bones admin installation with no support or backup, in other words they assume you know what you are doing. The OEM copy of the OS has absolutely nothing on it bar what M$ has put on it, no vendor software, no AV trials... nothing. If I could have a fully functional desktop with an option to remove that awful tile interface then I would probably give Win8 a chance. I hated the fact that MC was brought back until I found I could uninstall it.... that's how it should be done.

Not trying to be a pain in the ass or anything, but I still don't see a lot of difference between the 7 & 8. But, I agree with you; this is boring...

..... as for that crappy Playstation?! That's a different matter!! :p;)

I know you aren't, I just don't think we use the OS on the same level. XP is still slightly better for my needs but I live with the very slight pain of running windows 7 as it's just about as solid while being 100x more slick. Windows 8 is useless to me as long as Windows 7 is compatible. I would spend more time turning Win8 into Win7 than I would using anything that is a Win8 feature so it's completely pointless.

I didn't mean the discussion was boring... I just meant I was no longer bored (I look for discussions when I'm bored) so didn't need to follow it through any further ;)

The issue wasn't uninstalling McAfee, the issue was disabling it for 2 seconds so that I could install a certian piece of software. With windows 7 this is a very straight forward thing to do, with Windows 8 it was a nightmare. Even the task manager was hopeless. I had no issues removing McAfee.... although finding the control panel was a pain.

Edit: I didn't need the tool, I'd rather remove the registry settings than trust a "tool" to do it for me. I don't like automated things when I have custom settings.... just in case. Creature of habit.

Right. I honestly can't stand McAfee or Norton. Without attempting to disable it temporarily myself in Win 8, I can't really comment. I would have thought the option should have been within the settings of the application itself rather than attempting to kill the task through the task manager (it would have safe guards against being force closed). Regarding the control panel, you're not the first person who has struggled to find it. :D The one thing you get used to in Win 8 is the search and pin function. Search is universal and works a treat no matter what app you're running or whether you're in desktop mode. I have my control panel pinned to the metro home screen as well as any other tools I used frequently. I am currently upgrading to 8.1 and I know they've expanded on the UI even further, bringing back the start button.

There is a difference between an OEM install and an OEM OS. I'm talking about the OEM OS.... as in the bare bones admin installation with no support or backup, in other words they assume you know what you are doing. The OEM copy of the OS has absolutely nothing on it bar what M$ has put on it, no vendor software, no AV trials... nothing. If I could have a fully functional desktop with an option to remove that awful tile interface then I would probably give Win8 a chance. I hated the fact that MC was brought back until I found I could uninstall it.... that's how it should be done.

I appreciate what you're saying, but my Win 8 machine doesn't have McAfee. HP decided they would go with Norton.

I honestly don't understand what the fuss is with the tiles. If you don't like them, simply tap desktop and forget they exist.

I know you aren't, I just don't think we use the OS on the same level. XP is still slightly better for my needs but I live with the very slight pain of running windows 7 as it's just about as solid while being 100x more slick. Windows 8 is useless to me as long as Windows 7 is compatible. I would spend more time turning Win8 into Win7 than I would using anything that is a Win8 feature so it's completely pointless.

I'm merely talking about the general user experience.

I didn't mean the discussion was boring... I just meant I was no longer bored (I look for discussions when I'm bored) so didn't need to follow it through any further ;)

I've been used. :(

:D

You heard it here first. The GFX won't even be comparable to the actual console when it's released. I can't comment on whether or not that's the same for the PS4, it wouldn't surprise me though.

It's awful IMO. The kernel is fantastic, the actual root of the OS... again... fantastic. The abononation they have built on top of it is just hideous.

Win7 is the stand out OS from M$ for me. It really was astounding. They took their fantastic XP OS and made it pretty with a sleak kernel... win win. Of course it wasn't without its faults and they learned from those mistakes with Win8, then they decided to go backwards... add in a million safeguards to stop anyone from doing anything without having to go through a ridiculous amount of unnecessary steps and then threw a crappy tile front end on top of it all to make it look like a mobile phone.

You're an apple fan though, I can see why you're OK with it ;)

That's only to tease you!! :D

I am typing this from my Linux machine because Windows 8 is awesome! Actually my lab machine at work is solely Win8's 64 bit, just ignore the fancy tiles and it works pretty well.

Talking of Win8 the 8.1 I believe has been released now so will be even more like a Windows 7 machine!

- - - Updated - - -

So which console does McAfee come on again :think:

Not long till you have AV software for gaming consoles... mark my words ;)

Off topic (but since win8 was mentioned..): This week I refunded a customer €9.6M on a windows 8 laptop purchase as they were not fit for purpose. The OS really is that bad (for business use)... we've rolled them back to high spec laptops on win7 which they are more than happy with. win8 is simply awful.

So basically even Microsoft agree that Windows 8 sucks donkey balls and they should have just stuck with 7 in the first place?

Well people don't like change I am afraid, though I have to agree I think MS just wanted to be different for the sake of being different.

The tile application on a tablet is great, I had a good play with the surf & my colleague brought one whilst we was working out in the states. For laptops & desktops... Not really, unless a touch screen\hybrid.

Off topic (but since win8 was mentioned..): This week I refunded a customer €9.6M on a windows 8 laptop purchase as they were not fit for purpose. The OS really is that bad (for business use)... we've rolled them back to high spec laptops on win7 which they are more than happy with. win8 is simply awful.

Ah... the price of bleeding edge ;)

We guys have only finished out rolling Windows 7... will be at least 2 years before we go Windows 8... an that is an "IF" :D

Who do you work for Daryl?

Who do you work for Daryl?

More than one of us work for the worlds biggest (by revenue) *IT* firm... (by IT I mean companies that do Information Technology across multiple products/services)

Which is actually the first time I've ever said anything positive about it. :-\