The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Xbox One or PS4?

Septic

I wasn't talking about native 1080p. I was referring to the issues the PS3 had with upscaling to 1080p resulting in poorer PQ in comparison. No one seemed to complain about it then, but now the shoe is (potentially with one game) on the other foot? I do agree with SupraDan that native 1080p should be the standard for the next gen consoles though. If it doesn't happen right away, you can be sure that future games will meet the standard.

My point was... what you wrote was completely made up. It had absolutely nothing to do with the developers or anything to do with an "agreement" between them and microsoft. The 360 has on board GFX hardware that upscales the video to 1080p on the fly. It has absolutely no impact in the processing of the game etc so uses no more resources. What the hardware is I can't be sure, I just remember reading about it. The PS3 on the other hand uses software to upscale the game, should you choose to do this. Most games can be upscaled to 1080p, but as it's a software render the framerate could suffer depending on the game you were playing. Most that worked were OK and would in fact look a little bit better, some of the high action large render games suffered though and it was quite noticeable.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made up? I appreciate people make things up on the internet, but for the record, I've got better things to do with my time than pull BS out of thin air for the sake of it. MS did in fact have a minimum output requirement for the 360. This is going WAY back now... I thought it was for the ability to upscale to 1080p, but looking back, it was a minimum of 720p.

That aside, the point still stands. When the PS3 suffered in comparison, no one really gave a fuck. I'll more than likely end up with both, although I'll never stop being amused at the double standards of fanboys.

Made up? I appreciate people make things up on the internet, but for the record, I've got better things to do with my time than pull BS out of thin air for the sake of it. MS did in fact have a minimum output requirement for the 360. This is going WAY back now... I thought it was for the ability to upscale to 1080p, but looking back, it was a minimum of 720p.

That aside, the point still stands. When the PS3 suffered in comparison, no one really gave a fuck. I'll more than likely end up with both, although I'll never stop being amused at the double standards of fanboys.

You come across as an M$ fanboy though? All threads I have noticed your input in have been defending M$ products where nothing negative can be said about them.

Let's have a look at this current argument. Someone has mentioned one of the reasons they prefer the PS4 is the higher native capabilities of the console when compared to the Xbox One. Your retort to that point being made is to pull it all back in time and state that the 360 was able to upscale more fluently than the PS3.

To answer that point though, noone really cared as it's just upscaling. It doesn't make THAT much of a difference. It wasn't for a lack of trying from the 360 fans though.

You come across as an M$ fanboy though?

If my PS3 was getting unwarranted flack, I'd also defend it, but as per usual, the goal posts move when it's PS related. That's mere an observation I'm making. You're clearly on the PS camp, but I'll leave the labels there.

All threads I have noticed your input in have been defending M$ products where nothing negative can be said about them.

You said Windows 8 was awful for these reasons:

You ran into issues uninstalling a third party program that is known for being stubborn across all versions of Windows.

You're incapable of pressing the desktop tile upon start-up and forgetting the metro UI exists.

You didn't use the search option to find the control panel.

Sorry mate... not being funny, but these things don't even need defending. I was merely entertaining the discussion.

Let's have a look at this current argument. Someone has mentioned one of the reasons they prefer the PS4 is the higher native capabilities of the console when compared to the Xbox One.

That wasn't quite the premise for preference. They stated speculation regarding the final resolution COD Ghosts. I accept the Playstation has better graphical capabilities, much like the PS3 had. I just don't see cause for a real concern for a couple of reasons... XB1 has exclusives already running at a native 1080p and graphics (marginal improvements at that) are merely one small factor in the grand scheme of things.

Your retort to that point being made is to pull it all back in time and state that the 360 was able to upscale more fluently than the PS3.

I've stated a few times how it amuses me how the loyal PS followers will shovel down pretty much anything Sony throw at them.... yet, when Microsoft doesn't meet their expectations, those same gamers grab their pitch forks and hop on slag off Xbox bandwagon. It's fanboy bitching in it's purist form. Bringing up the 360's upscalling was an example of that.

If I was a MS fanboy, I wouldn't own a PS3 and you would see me slagging off the PS4. There's a lot of slagging off in this thread, yet no of it has come from me...

To answer that point though, noone really cared as it's just upscaling. It doesn't make THAT much of a difference. It wasn't for a lack of trying from the 360 fans though.

Upscalling can make a noticeable different, but come on mate, you would have been too wrapped up in your Playstation to have seen it anyway. ;)

If my PS3 was getting unwarranted flack, I'd also defend it, but as per usual, the goal posts move when it's PS related. That's mere an observation I'm making. You're clearly on the PS camp, but I'll leave the labels there.

You said Windows 8 was awful for these reasons:

You ran into issues uninstalling a third party program that is known for being stubborn across all versions of Windows.

You're incapable of pressing the desktop tile upon start-up and forgetting the metro UI exists.

You didn't use the search option to find the control panel.

Sorry mate... not being funny, but these things don't even need defending. I was merely entertaining the discussion.

That wasn't quite the premise for preference. They stated speculation regarding the final resolution COD Ghosts. I accept the Playstation has better graphical capabilities, much like the PS3 had. I just don't see cause for a real concern for a couple of reasons... XB1 has exclusives already running at a native 1080p and graphics (marginal improvements at that) are merely one small factor in the grand scheme of things.

I've stated a few times how it amuses me how the loyal PS followers will shovel down pretty much anything Sony throw at them.... yet, when Microsoft doesn't meet their expectations, those same gamers grab their pitch forks and hop on slag off Xbox bandwagon. It's fanboy bitching in it's purist form. Bringing up the 360's upscalling was an example of that.

If I was a MS fanboy, I wouldn't own a PS3 and you would see me slagging off the PS4. There's a lot of slagging off in this thread, yet no of it has come from me...

Upscalling can make a noticeable different, but come on mate, you would have been too wrapped up in your Playstation to have seen it anyway. ;)

You've made an awful lot of assumptions about me to come about your conclusion. What in this thread has given you the opinion that I'm a PS guy? Truth of the matter is that I rarely play games, I like the racing games on both platforms and I enjoy the Tomb Raider/Uncharted/Batman type games across both platforms. Other than that I honestly don't use the consoles as a console. I prefer the PS3 for what I use it for, media streaming, it's just far better at it with a lot more control.... but the Xbox also has an ace up its sleeve in that regard..... as it doesn't have Cinavia protection, which is a PITA with the PS3.

I'll have both consoles by this time next year I would imagine, I won't have either console at the launch or even any time soon after the launch. The PS3s & Xbox I currently have are more than enough to keep me going for a bit. The one thing I'm REALLY looking forward to is the remote play aspect of the PS4, I imagine this making a big difference to the amount of gaming I do.

There are, of course, pluses and minuses to buying either console. It's my opinion that, at least on paper, the PS4 is the better console to buy by quite some margin. Once you take the paper out of the equation it's then down to the exclusive games and what your friends have. The negative aspects of either console will be fairly minor, for the most part..... but M$ really hurt themselves with their original proposals, that was right out of the Apple handbook and gamers were immediately talking with their money.

As for Windows 8, that was my brief experience with the OS. I don't know anyone, other than yourself, who think's it works well. As far as I know there are very few complaints with regards to 3d marks etc, but it's a completely pointless sidestep for anyone running Windows 7 who doesn't want/need to have a touch screen. It's being rolled out on laptops without touch screen which is pointless. The metro addon would have been a good addition for people running a touch screen laptop but instead of that being the case, it was rammed down consumers throats. As was pointed out in the thread, there are a lot of returns from a business standpoint as the OS isn't fit for purpose. The fact that you are happy with it is great, best of luck with it. I won't be recommending it to anyone.

I'm not sure who's talking about who anymore :p Just to be clear, If I was the one being referred to as the PS Fanboi then you really couldn't be anymore wrong. I have both an 360 and a PS3 and I've played the PS about 5 times, I've literally played on my Xbox thousands. I only have 2 games for my PS3 and I don't even know where they are. I MUCH prefer the 360 to the PS3 and I have done from release. In fact I didn't even own a PS3 until my GF bought me one as a surprise present for my birthday 2 years ago. I AM a 360 fan, I am however so far, NOT a Xbox One fan, just because they are made by the same company doesn't mean I have to like them both. From pretty much everything I have read, PS4 has alot more going for it than the Xbox One, and that's without taking into account the latest rumors of it's games being released in 720p native. I have been put off the Xbox One from day one when they brought out all those rules that pretty much shafted the consumer....then turned about face when people stood up for themselves.

All I did was post up a link to "rumors" about the Xbox one for everyone to read, from there it seems to have escalated. At the end of the day buy whichever console you want, I for one won't be buying the Xbox One based solely on the fact that I liked the 360 and especially not because I'm a fan of microsoft.

You've made an awful lot of assumptions about me to come about your conclusion.

Haha, you're kidding, right? I made one after being accused of making stuff up and being told I was pretty much a MS fanboy. Forgive my arrogance! :p

What in this thread has given you the opinion that I'm a PS guy?

Just seemed the logical conclusion based on someone engaging on a thread about the two consoles with 99% of their posts being criticisms for the Xbox. I take you have zero issues with the PS4.

Truth of the matter is that I rarely play games, I like the racing games on both platforms and I enjoy the Tomb Raider/Uncharted/Batman type games across both platforms. Other than that I honestly don't use the consoles as a console. I prefer the PS3 for what I use it for, media streaming, it's just far better at it with a lot more control.... but the Xbox also has an ace up its sleeve in that regard..... as it doesn't have Cinavia protection, which is a PITA with the PS3.

Apps aside, the PS3 is without a doubt far superior as a media centre. DVD upscaling and network sharing crushes the 360. Then you have BD thrown in.

I'll have both consoles by this time next year I would imagine, I won't have either console at the launch or even any time soon after the launch. The PS3s & Xbox I currently have are more than enough to keep me going for a bit. The one thing I'm REALLY looking forward to is the remote play aspect of the PS4, I imagine this making a big difference to the amount of gaming I do.

There are, of course, pluses and minuses to buying either console. It's my opinion that, at least on paper, the PS4 is the better console to buy by quite some margin. Once you take the paper out of the equation it's then down to the exclusive games and what your friends have. The negative aspects of either console will be fairly minor, for the most part..... but M$ really hurt themselves with their original proposals, that was right out of the Apple handbook and gamers were immediately talking with their money.

The PS3 was the better console on paper, but look how that turned out. Comparing RAM is futile, IMO. It detracts away from the bigger picture. The most advanced piece of hardware in this race is the Kinect 2, if you ask me.

As for Windows 8, that was my brief experience with the OS. I don't know anyone, other than yourself, who think's it works well. As far as I know there are very few complaints with regards to 3d marks etc, but it's a completely pointless sidestep for anyone running Windows 7 who doesn't want/need to have a touch screen.

I'm currently running 8.1 and it is rapid. Finally my laptop is justifying it's price tag in performance and I'm not just saying that.

It's being rolled out on laptops without touch screen which is pointless. The metro addon would have been a good addition for people running a touch screen laptop but instead of that being the case, it was rammed down consumers throats. As was pointed out in the thread, there are a lot of returns from a business standpoint as the OS isn't fit for purpose. The fact that you are happy with it is great, best of luck with it. I won't be recommending it to anyone.

It's all about eco systems. Google, Apple and Microsoft all want to offer a seamless experience across their devices. In the case of Windows, MS have the 3 screen and cloud vision. People invest into a platform through buying apps. MS want apps purchased via MS user account to be accessible on all of their devices: phone, tab, desktop and XB1. For this to work, they need to offer the metro UI for non-touch desktops. Apps will run, share data and update seamlessly via the cloud.

Digressing a bit, but they're currently working on the next step of TellMe. It's called Cortana (might know the name from Halo)... this will be a personal A.I assistant baked into the heart of Windows that'll be with you across all devices.

I'm not sure who's talking about who anymore :p Just to be clear, If I was the one being referred to as the PS Fanboi then you really couldn't be anymore wrong. I have both an 360 and a PS3 and I've played the PS about 5 times, I've literally played on my Xbox thousands. I only have 2 games for my PS3 and I don't even know where they are. I MUCH prefer the 360 to the PS3 and I have done from release. In fact I didn't even own a PS3 until my GF bought me one as a surprise present for my birthday 2 years ago. I AM a 360 fan, I am however so far, NOT a Xbox One fan, just because they are made by the same company doesn't mean I have to like them both. From pretty much everything I have read, PS4 has alot more going for it than the Xbox One, and that's without taking into account the latest rumors of it's games being released in 720p native. I have been put off the Xbox One from day one when they brought out all those rules that pretty much shafted the consumer....then turned about face when people stood up for themselves.

All I did was post up a link to "rumors" about the Xbox one for everyone to read, from there it seems to have escalated. At the end of the day buy whichever console you want, I for one won't be buying the Xbox One based solely on the fact that I liked the 360 and especially not because I'm a fan of microsoft.

Wasn't pointing the finger at anyone in particular. :)

ok. How about a PS4 playing a PS3 game, joining a PS3 lobby?

Would be great if they could/would, but the PS4 will only be backwards compatible via a cloud based engine called Gaikai. No news on online capabilities, but I know you'll have to re-purchase the games you want to play.

Would be great if they could/would, but the PS4 will only be backwards compatible via a cloud based engine called Gaikai. No news on online capabilities, but I know you'll have to re-purchase the games you want to play.

and i don't suppose anyone knows if that service is going to be available from launch?

Haha, you're kidding, right? I made one after being accused of making stuff up and being told I was pretty much a MS fanboy. Forgive my arrogance! :p

You are forgiven.

Just seemed the logical conclusion based on someone engaging on a thread about the two consoles with 99% of their posts being criticisms for the Xbox. I take you have zero issues with the PS4.

What did I criticise about it? I just think the PS4 is better, I don't think there is much of an argument against that, I'm solely basing that on factual information released from both manufacturers. As for criticising the PS4, the one gripe that I have is the lack of backwards compatibility. I understand why though as the core of the system is so different that it would have cost an absolute fortune to implement. I'd rather keep the PS3 and have the savings.

Apps aside, the PS3 is without a doubt far superior as a media centre. DVD upscaling and network sharing crushes the 360. Then you have BD thrown in.

TBH I rarely watch Blurays and I never watch DVDs so that's not really important to me. I watch everything I can on the PS3 due to it's ability to skip through scenes, ffwd, rwd, etc when using a media server, the Xbox doesn't allow this. The way around it is to turn on chaptering but this is a PITA. It's also not compatible with as many media types as the PS3 is, it can make transcoding a pain. On the other side of the coin, as I mentioned, the Xbox doesn't have Cinavia protection, when I have trouble with the PS3 the hovercraft gets turned on to take over :)

The PS3 was the better console on paper, but look how that turned out. Comparing RAM is futile, IMO. It detracts away from the bigger picture. The most advanced piece of hardware in this race is the Kinect 2, if you ask me.

The PS3 blew the Xbox out of the water. It was all to fancy and conceited though so it gave developers a headache. By the time they had ported their game to work on the PS3 there wasn't time to create any of the finesse that the kit was actually capable of. However, comparing RAM is not futile.... you're crazy to think it is IMO. The unity of the RAM and the processor is what makes a console, having a bottle neck that needs to be worked on from a different angle to cure it isn't at all ideal. IMO M$ were being cheap here, it's all about margins. I've never used Kinect so I can't comment, I couldn't imagine me using it as anything other than a fad though. Like the eyetoy when it came out.

I'm currently running 8.1 and it is rapid. Finally my laptop is justifying it's price tag in performance and I'm not just saying that.

It's good that M$ have listened to the consumers and went back to the Windows 7 optional interface with the proper start button etc, but it should have been there in the first place. My laptop wasn't particularly expensive but with the SSD HDD I doubt it could do anything any faster. Windows Boots up in 11 seconds from a cold start, good enough for me. If I use hibernate mode, which is effectively how Windows 8 works, it's up in even less.

It's all about eco systems. Google, Apple and Microsoft all want to offer a seamless experience across their devices. In the case of Windows, MS have the 3 screen and cloud vision. People invest into a platform through buying apps. MS want apps purchased via MS user account to be accessible on all of their devices: phone, tab, desktop and XB1. For this to work, they need to offer the metro UI for non-touch desktops. Apps will run, share data and update seamlessly via the cloud.

They may call it eco systems. I call it profiteering and market cornering. Apple were the first to try to corner the market and they went about it in a very clever fashion. The way M$ have gone about it is silly. Having the same system across all mobile devices is pretty clever, having the same setup on laptops and PCs is stupid IMO. Even Apple weren't that daft.

Digressing a bit, but they're currently working on the next step of TellMe. It's called Cortana (might know the name from Halo)... this will be a personal A.I assistant baked into the heart of Windows that'll be with you across all devices.

Siri with a different voice? Apparently the setup on my S3 is better than the comparable Siri. I wouldn't know though, I played with it for 5 mins the day I got the phone and haven't used it since. I prefer to be the one in control, hence why I avoid IOS like the plague. M$ going down the same route will just mean that I'll avoid their future products like the plague also.

Just something to watch to help you choose ;) But even if your completely settled on a Xbox one still a good watch...

Notice how they state "most powerful next gen console" Thats due to the more powerful graphics chip :D

Also a member doubted my post regarding the PS4 having more content on the big title multiplatform games.. Well this video reveals just some :)

My opinion is if you want console for a gaming console you would be MAD not to go for the PS4

[video=youtube;jQvggeBG-KE]

The one thing everyone seems to be not talking about is the game on day one

The PS4 doesn't have a lot really, well not for me anyway

Most of the games I am interested in are on the XBOne, hence my choice for release say

It make no difference if you have the more powerful console, if you don't have games you want to play on it

From what I can find these are the only games for day 1 that are not cross platform

Please add any if this is out of date

Xbox One

•Dead Rising 3

•Forza Motorsport 5

•Ryse: Son of Rome

•Killer Instinct

PlayStation 4

•Killzone Shadow Fall

•Knack

•PlayRoom

The one thing everyone seems to be not talking about is the game on day one

The PS4 doesn't have a lot really, well not for me anyway

Most of the games I am interested in are on the XBOne, hence my choice for release say

It make no difference if you have the more powerful console, if you don't have games you want to play on it

From what I can find these are the only games for day 1 that are not cross platform

Please add any if this is out of date

Xbox One

•Dead Rising 3

•Forza Motorsport 5

•Ryse: Son of Rome

•Killer Instinct

PlayStation 4

•Killzone Shadow Fall

•Knack

•PlayRoom

Also Titanfall for XbOne which looks great!

I am with you on this, regardless of whether the PS4 is the better platform, IMO there is no point having the "best" console but not playing it because none of the games really interest me. All I ever really play is Forza and I really like the look of Ryse: Son of Rome and Titanfall - all of which are on Xbox. However I think I will wait a week or so after release and see what happens before making my final choice.

Xbone definitely has the better games on release day, I don't think anyone will argue with that. The only game they have that makes me want to get one is Titanfall though, I'm definitely going to play that around a mates first and if it's good enough alone to warrant buying an Xbox, I doubt it though. I don't plan on getting either console for the first couple of months so I'm not overly worried about the initial releases. I do really like the look of the new Infamous, I've played the first two and really enjoyed them.

As for criticising the PS4, the one gripe that I have is the lack of backwards compatibility. I understand why though as the core of the system is so different that it would have cost an absolute fortune to implement. I'd rather keep the PS3 and have the savings.

I think it would have been straight forward enough, and I'm sure you'll find they'll be selling PS3 games on the PS4 online store soon enough. That's why it isn't backwardly compatible, it's an extra revenue stream. ;)

Unfortunately for Sony, the PS3 doesn't feel dated (especially compared to the xboox), and so many, including myself, won't buy a PS4 on launch. I'll probably put off getting a PS4 until GT6 is released now, even if that is several years down the line.

Then again, War Thunder on PS4 looks fantastic :cool: