The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Xbox One or PS4?

Septic

Time will tell on the Xbox One vs. PS4 front. I remember before the PS3/Xbox360 came out all the talk was about how powerful the cell processor in the PS3 was, but in reality it was difficult to get the best out of it and a lot of games ended up looking (slightly) better on the Xbox360. The new ones are both going to be similar in graphics performance, unless you put them side by side I'd guess it'll be hard to distinguish which is "better".

Hugely dissapointed Watch Dogs is delayed, but still looking forward to getting the PS4.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to agree with Thorin on games looking better on the Xbox 360. GTA 5 seems to look slightly more polished, and runs smoother on the 360.

But, it is only minor, and in every other respect the PS3 feels like a better machine, with the xbox controller feeling especially dated. I love that the Playstation controllers are all an evolution that can be traced back to the NES.

All release games on day one for PS4 (why you would want a load i dont know? One game at a time is food enough for me)

PLAYSTATION 4 LAUNCH TITLES---Retail games (also available digitally)

Killzone: Shadow Fall

Knack

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Battlefield 4

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Just Dance 2014

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

Need for Speed: Rivals

NBA 2K14

Skylanders: Swap Force

Madden 25

FIFA 14

Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition

---Digital games

Resogun

Minecraft

The PlayRoom

Warframe

Contrast

Escape Plan (Cross-Buy)

DC Universe Online

War Thunder

Flower (Cross-Buy)

flOw (Cross-Buy)

Sound Shapes (Cross-Buy)

Tiny Brains

Super Motherload

Blacklight: Retribution

Putty Squad

Switch Galaxy Ultra

Pinball Arcade

I know that some of these are multiplatform but still plenty of choice :)

I think it would have been straight forward enough, and I'm sure you'll find they'll be selling PS3 games on the PS4 online store soon enough. That's why it isn't backwardly compatible, it's an extra revenue stream. ;)

Unfortunately for Sony, the PS3 doesn't feel dated (especially compared to the xboox), and so many, including myself, won't buy a PS4 on launch. I'll probably put off getting a PS4 until GT6 is released now, even if that is several years down the line.

Then again, War Thunder on PS4 looks fantastic :cool:

I'm not so sure to be honest. For the complicated anti-developer way that the PS3 worked, I think it would be hard to re-create that with the new hardware. As far as I understand it the PS4 store games will be different. They will either be re-coded to work with the PS4 engine or they will actually be ran on the server remotely via the PS4... in other words not using the PS4 processing power etc.

I quite like the look of a few of the games. Really curious about the drive club game.

You are forgiven.

Sarcasm not a strong point, I take it. :p

What did I criticise about it? I just think the PS4 is better, I don't think there is much of an argument against that, I'm solely basing that on factual information released from both manufacturers. As for criticising the PS4, the one gripe that I have is the lack of backwards compatibility. I understand why though as the core of the system is so different that it would have cost an absolute fortune to implement. I'd rather keep the PS3 and have the savings.

I cannot argue with your own basis for which is better, but generally speaking, there is a massive argument for which one is better. Like I said before, RAM isn't everything in the grand scheme of things. Sure, you can say the PS4 will have the edge on graphics, but for multitasking, dedicated servers, online service/marketplace, exclusive games & DLC, apps, compatibility with your PC, security and generally being an all round entertainment power house, I pick the XB1.

It's all about the user experience.

The PS3 blew the Xbox out of the water. It was all to fancy and conceited though so it gave developers a headache. By the time they had ported their game to work on the PS3 there wasn't time to create any of the finesse that the kit was actually capable of. However, comparing RAM is not futile.... you're crazy to think it is IMO. The unity of the RAM and the processor is what makes a console, having a bottle neck that needs to be worked on from a different angle to cure it isn't at all ideal. IMO M$ were being cheap here, it's all about margins. I've never used Kinect so I can't comment, I couldn't imagine me using it as anything other than a fad though. Like the eyetoy when it came out.

I don't understand how you conclude which machine is better due to one aspect of it's ability (RAM) and write-off the Kinect (which is cutting edge technology) as a fad. It's bonkers.

It's good that M$ have listened to the consumers and went back to the Windows 7 optional interface with the proper start button etc, but it should have been there in the first place. My laptop wasn't particularly expensive but with the SSD HDD I doubt it could do anything any faster. Windows Boots up in 11 seconds from a cold start, good enough for me. If I use hibernate mode, which is effectively how Windows 8 works, it's up in even less.

All they have done is add the start button and expand on what was already there.

They may call it eco systems. I call it profiteering and market cornering. Apple were the first to try to corner the market and they went about it in a very clever fashion. The way M$ have gone about it is silly. Having the same system across all mobile devices is pretty clever, having the same setup on laptops and PCs is stupid IMO. Even Apple weren't that daft.

Apple came to dominance by playing the monopoly and convincing the sheep that what they put out is revolutionary. All Microsoft are doing is attempting to unify apps across all devices. Those same apps are available to multiple platforms, unlike Apple's restrictive eco system. If MS were attempting the monopoly they would use their biggest tools (Office, Xbox and Skype) as exclusive apps to Windows. They could have also done a Google after acquiring Skype and kicked everyone out of their accounts and forced them to sign up with Outlook in order to keep using it (Google's Youtube takeover).

Siri with a different voice? Apparently the setup on my S3 is better than the comparable Siri. I wouldn't know though, I played with it for 5 mins the day I got the phone and haven't used it since. I prefer to be the one in control, hence why I avoid IOS like the plague. M$ going down the same route will just mean that I'll avoid their future products like the plague also.

Tellme is already Siri with a different voice - Cortana is something completely different... but each to their own, I guess. Some people will use it, others take a while to adjust to new technology.

Sarcasm not a strong point, I take it. :p

What's sarcasm?

I cannot argue with your own basis for which is better, but generally speaking, there is a massive argument for which one is better. Like I said before, RAM isn't everything in the grand scheme of things. Sure, you can say the PS4 will have the edge on graphics, but for multitasking, dedicated servers, online service/marketplace, exclusive games & DLC, apps, compatibility with your PC, security and generally being an all round entertainment power house, I pick the XB1.

It's all about the user experience.

PS4 will do just about everything you have mentioned and more. Some of the new features available are a breath of fresh air and it's fantastic that Sony are sorting out their prior mistakes. A comparison of user features has the ps4 ahead also, but of course it's down to personal preference.

I don't understand how you conclude which machine is better due to one aspect of it's ability (RAM) and write-off the Kinect (which is cutting edge technology) as a fad. It's bonkers.

The ram is just one aspect, every aspect of the hardware is better though, iirc. It's you that concentrated on the ram, not me. If the Kinect was that good, for me, I'd already have one for my 360.

All they have done is add the start button and expand on what was already there.

Changes were listed as being more significant, otherwise it would have been a hotfix.

Apple came to dominance by playing the monopoly and convincing the sheep that what they put out is revolutionary. All Microsoft are doing is attempting to unify apps across all devices. Those same apps are available to multiple platforms, unlike Apple's restrictive eco system. If MS were attempting the monopoly they would use their biggest tools (Office, Xbox and Skype) as exclusive apps to Windows. They could have also done a Google after acquiring Skype and kicked everyone out of their accounts and forced them to sign up with Outlook in order to keep using it (Google's Youtube takeover).

You have a very short memory. Think about m$'s plans with the Xbox one prior to being ridiculed and having their shares drop.

Tellme is already Siri with a different voice - Cortana is something completely different... but each to their own, I guess. Some people will use it, others take a while to adjust to new technology.

Exactly my gripe with Apple, have everything done for you. Might be technological advancement but it pulls consumers back due to dependency.

What's sarcasm?

Sarcasm, quashing nonsense... just services I'm happy to offer. :p

PS4 will do just about everything you have mentioned and more. Some of the new features available are a breath of fresh air and it's fantastic that Sony are sorting out their prior mistakes. A comparison of user features has the ps4 ahead also, but of course it's down to personal preference.

Playstation may do them 'some of them', sure. My point was that they won't do them as good.

The ram is just one aspect, every aspect of the hardware is better though, iirc.

I'm intrigued to know what hardware (collectively) illustrates the better console for the end user? I also still don't understand how hardware is the hard 'n fast formula for supremacy in the console race/war?

It's you that concentrated on the ram, not me. If the Kinect was that good, for me, I'd already have one for my 360.

It was something brought up by SupraDan to which you hinged your argument regarding which machine is 'factually' better.

Changes were listed as being more significant, otherwise it would have been a hotfix.

Still boots into Metro UI. Also, no changes made to how you uninstall programs; it wasn't a fix. It was an update.

You have a very short memory. Think about m$'s plans with the Xbox one prior to being ridiculed and having their shares drop.

Two things. This and Sony also had the same DRM intentions for the PS4, but they sat back and waited to see how it would go down with consumers before doing a quick U-turn and making out they're bringing power to the people. As per usual, Xbox take the risks and come up with the features and Sony follow behind. Just look at the PS4's UI. Xbox much?

Exactly my gripe with Apple, have everything done for you. Might be technological advancement but it pulls consumers back due to dependency.

I think the 'out of the packet' thing works well for Apple. Some people just want things to work so they go to Apple or Windows Phone... others want endless menus and customisation so they opt for Android. It's good to have a fix for everyone's needs.

Sarcasm, quashing nonsense... just services I'm happy to offer. :p

Quite ironic as I was being sarcastic originally, perhaps you should look it up yourself, and quashing nonsense was what I did earlier when you clearly made up a lot of tosh to try and add substance to a futile point you were making.

Playstation may do them 'some of them', sure. My point was that they won't do them as good.

I've not done the proper groundwork to know what the PS4 will and won't do, I can only imagine you're comparing to the previous offerings of Sony as the new setup is going to blow M$ out of the water. There are still a few things to iron out though, so will need to wait and see what comes of it all. PS+ knocks spots off the XBLive gold package, as far as "stuff" goes though.

I'm intrigued to know what hardware (collectively) illustrates the better console for the end user? I also still don't understand how hardware is the hard 'n fast formula for supremacy in the console race/war?

Do some reading instead of just making stuff up to back your points. It's what we have all done to come to the consensus of the offering we wish to buy.

It was something brought up by SupraDan to which you hinged your argument regarding which machine is 'factually' better.

Again, I didn't hinge anything on it. An argument was made against a particular component, a nonsensical one at that. I offered a counter that was ignored and then used as a basis to compare overall by yourself. There's only so many times you can flog a dead horse.

Still boots into Metro UI. Also, no changes made to how you uninstall programs; it wasn't a fix. It was an update.

Now an option, it doesn't have to. Un-installing programs was never an issue, yet again you seem to have made up your own information.

Two things. This and Sony also had the same DRM intentions for the PS4, but they sat back and waited to see how it would go down with consumers before doing a quick U-turn and making out they're bringing power to the people. As per usual, Xbox take the risks and come up with the features and Sony follow behind. Just look at the PS4's UI. Xbox much?

No offence is deliberately meant by this but I can honestly say I trust absolutely nothing that you write, I didn't even read the link you provided. If you can't provide evidence of what you are saying I'm going to treat it as complete nonsense. You're making up points to try and substantiate your comments, when this is being pointed out to you you go off at a tangent trying to wangle your way back to appearing to know what you are talking about. As much as I love a good debate, I prefer to debate with someone who doesn't spout crap and who at least has some sort of objectivity to their points.

Just FYI, none of that was sarcasm.

Just had a look online and it seems DC Universe Online will remain free to play on PS4 and you can use the original game from the PS3 rather than have to buy a new copy, you just need to download the updated texture pack to improve the graphics. Meanwhile at Microsoft, Phil Spencer has this too say about Minecraft on Xbox One "No, it's a new product on Xbox One," Spencer rebutted, when we asked whether you could roll over save files from the existing console version." Translated "If you want to play Minecraft on Xbox One, you have to pay us again, regardless if you bought it on Xbox 360"......which I did lol.

Taking into consideration that DC Universe Online is only free to play due to Anonymous hacking the PSN network shutting it down for a week (which they only did as Sony tried to prevent people from hacking the PS3), I'd say people are getting a pretty good deal out of that game. When people hacked the 360's, the console was banned and became worthless, meaning you had to buy a whole new one.

Quite ironic as I was being sarcastic originally, perhaps you should look it up yourself

It was a joke mate. I was trying to lighten the mood after you decided to get personal with the "you're making this up" BS.

and quashing nonsense was what I did earlier when you clearly made up a lot of tosh to try and add substance to a futile point you were making.

There you go with the "you're just making this up" nonsense again. I see a larger hammer is in order.

I've not done the proper groundwork to know what the PS4 will and won't do

By your own standards, it's sounds like you're making shit up to me.

, I can only imagine you're comparing to the previous offerings of Sony as the new setup is going to blow M$ out of the water. There are still a few things to iron out though, so will need to wait and see what comes of it all.

Smells fresh from the bull's ass to me mate. Ground work? Much?

PS+ knocks spots off the XBLive gold package, as far as "stuff" goes though.

I'm sorry, but it's widely acknowledged that Xbox Live is the daddy of online gaming. Just do your homework.

Do some reading instead of just making stuff up to back your points. It's what we have all done to come to the consensus of the offering we wish to buy.

hahaha you're actually effin nuts. Must be more sarcasm, surely.

Again, I didn't hinge anything on it. An argument was made against a particular component, a nonsensical one at that. I offered a counter that was ignored and then used as a basis to compare overall by yourself. There's only so many times you can flog a dead horse.

Your words: "It's my opinion that, at least on paper, the PS4 is the better console to buy by quite some margin". RAM is the only real difference in terms of hardware. I've asked for these other notable differences, but you're now telling me to do the reading myself. :blink:

Now an option, it doesn't have to.

Adding more customisation and options to a new OS still isn't regarded as a fix. It's an update no matter how you'd like to spin it.

Un-installing programs was never an issue, yet again you seem to have made up your own information.

God knows what this guy is on about then .... ??

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?297692-Xbox-One-or-PS4&p=3753389&viewfull=1#post3753389

I love being called a bullshitter by someone who could blag the cacks off a Nun!

No offence is deliberately meant by this but I can honestly say I trust absolutely nothing that you write, I didn't even read the link you provided.

No offence mate, but you come across quite confused and very dismissive.

If you can't provide evidence of what you are saying I'm going to treat it as complete nonsense.

Says the man who doesn't even read the links I give.

You're making up points to try and substantiate your comments, when this is being pointed out to you you go off at a tangent trying to wangle your way back to appearing to know what you are talking about. As much as I love a good debate, I prefer to debate with someone who doesn't spout crap and who at least has some sort of objectivity to their points.

It's very apparent who's making stuff up. This is getting boring.

Just FYI, none of that was sarcasm.

Thanks for clarifying. Consistency would go a long way in your arguments.

:thumbs:

Oh.. I do worn the Xbox one buyers... The controller is somewhat rather heavy....

When playing the new Forza. Near on everyone didn't want to stand up holding the controller. They had to lean there arms against the desk or have there arms straight down (thats what I did as I arms ached after a minute of play)

But I guess its something you can get used to like those god awful triggers...

Oh.. I do worn the Xbox one buyers... The controller is somewhat rather heavy....

When playing the new Forza. Near on everyone didn't want to stand up holding the controller. They had to lean there arms against the desk or have there arms straight down (thats what I did as I arms ached after a minute of play)

But I guess its something you can get used to like those god awful triggers...

I hope you didn't break a nail when playing on that manly Xbox controller. :p

The long and short of it is that 75% ish of buyers will stick to what they know.

I'm an xbox man so I'll be sticking with, as I prefer the games and ui.

The rest might change because of pricing, ram, performance etc, but after the January sales have panned out it will follow a similar pattern that the current gen did.

I convinced myself I wasn't going to reply, I'll play though.

It was a joke mate. I was trying to lighten the mood after you decided to get personal with the "you're making this up" BS.

Of course it was, everyone can see that's exactly what you were doing. IMO

There you go with the "you're just making this up" nonsense again. I see a larger hammer is in order.

hahaha you're actually effin nuts. Must be more sarcasm, surely.

I still see nothing to back up your points.

By your own standards, it's sounds like you're making shit up to me.

By stating that I haven't done the proper groundwork I'm only suggesting what I believe to be the case, ie non-factual. HTH.

Smells fresh from the bull's ass to me mate. Ground work? Much?

I stated previously that I hadn't done the proper groundwork...... in fact you quoted it? From the various online sources that I've scouted around, again nothing concrete, the network service that will be offered once the PS4 is to be launched is going to be light years ahead of what the current PS Network offers. From those same reports it is said that M$ aren't investing in any modernisation of their current setup, again not guaranteed... they just haven't said anything about updates. One of the minor drawbacks is that it's going to be a paid service from Sony, however given the PS+ offerings at the moment it's a price I'll happily pay. There are no concrete sources to this information, it's just snippets that have been released about the services and ideas that are planned.... not guaranteed. The main catalyst for this information was when Sony bought over gaikai. Here is a bit of reading, as I said though.... not a lot has been said "officially" that I can quote. One thing is for sure though, the new infrastructure will be miles ahead of the current offering.

http://www.gaikai.com/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/02/sony-buys-gaikai/

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/430164/gaikai-to-stream-ps3-games-to-ps4-and-vita/

I'm sorry, but it's widely acknowledged that Xbox Live is the daddy of online gaming. Just do your homework.

No need for apologies. It's widely accepted that the M$ offering is the better of the 2, it's nowhere near the daddy of online gaming though, it just wins the console war of the previous generation.... and not by anything ground breaking, just a couple of niceties and a more reliable service. The next generation is a whole other ballgame though, with Sony doing a LOT to make it the best. Whether they succeed or not is yet to be determined, I wouldn't be too phased if they don't though as it'll be so marginal now. If what is being suggested comes to fruition then it'll blow what M$ currently offer out of the water.

Your words: "It's my opinion that, at least on paper, the PS4 is the better console to buy by quite some margin". RAM is the only real difference in terms of hardware. I've asked for these other notable differences, but you're now telling me to do the reading myself. :blink:

RAM is the tip of the iceberg. Better CPU, better GPU, better HDD assy, rechargeable controllers, bluetooth, internal PSU, etc. I'm sure there's more but that's all I could be bothered looking up. On the flip side there are some things the XBone has that the PS4 doesn't, most notably the HDMI input (sounds handy).

Adding more customisation and options to a new OS still isn't regarded as a fix. It's an update no matter how you'd like to spin it.

I'm not spinning anything. Updates are gotten through windows update without any OS title change. The fact that it's a change of designated number means that it's a change of OS... basically. It's not even just a service pack. This is not me spinning anything, this is just plain common sense.

God knows what this guy is on about then .... ??

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?297692-Xbox-One-or-PS4&p=3753389&viewfull=1#post3753389

I love being called a bullshitter by someone who could blag the cacks off a Nun!

I still don't see what you are seeing. Perhaps if you copied and pasted what I wrote that made you think I had any difficulty uninstalling anything I could point out where you are wrong.

No offence mate, but you come across quite confused and very dismissive.

I'm completely perplexed mate, no joke. I always dismiss nonsense, ask anyone.... I'm known for it.

Says the man who doesn't even read the links I give.

A link to something you previously wrote isn't evidence, it's just nonsense in the past tense.

It's very apparent who's making stuff up. This is getting boring.

Apparently not, but yes I agree on the 2nd part.

Thanks for clarifying. Consistency would go a long way in your arguments.

:thumbs:

Still perplexed.... but I'll live :)