The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Andrew`s Single turbo 6 speed V161 Build

Andrew K

Slight bit of bad news :(

Lee spotted some oil had possibly been leaking from the oil feed line / gasket so took the turbo apart to check it over, i wanted this done anyway just for some piece of mind!

upon further investigation Lee had some bad and expensive news for me! :( and looks like it will be costing me a bit more now.

all the blade edges on the rear of the turbine blades have disintegrated or broken off some how so as you could guess i`m not a happy chap finding this out :rolleyes: so needs repairing!

attachment.php?attachmentid=202377&stc=1&d=1434573815

attachment.php?attachmentid=202378&stc=1&d=1434573815

attachment.php?attachmentid=202379&stc=1&d=1434573815

attachment.php?attachmentid=202380&stc=1&d=1434573815

attachment.php?attachmentid=202381&stc=1&d=1434573815

image 5.jpg

image 6.jpg

image 7.jpeg

image 9.jpeg

image 10.jpeg

Sorry to hear about the turbo.

Yeah wasn't very happy when I heard the bad news from Lee, it's something I could have done without! It's on route to precision now for a repair / rebuild so hopefully won't take to long and won't hurt the wallet to much.

Lee and the team also fitted the engine bay loom from a TT as it`s needed for running a larger fuel pump, then the clutch master cylinder and power steering tank. Next as the engine was pretty much finished they put the new clutch in and then the 6spd box on and dropped it into it`s final resting place :) air con rad has gone back in as well along with the Fluidyne Rad.

attachment.php?attachmentid=202435&stc=1&d=1434657182

attachment.php?attachmentid=202436&stc=1&d=1434657182

attachment.php?attachmentid=202437&stc=1&d=1434657182

attachment.php?attachmentid=202438&stc=1&d=1434657182

attachment.php?attachmentid=202439&stc=1&d=1434657380

attachment.php?attachmentid=202440&stc=1&d=1434657380

attachment.php?attachmentid=202441&stc=1&d=1434657380

attachment.php?attachmentid=202442&stc=1&d=1434657380

image 42.jpg

image 44.jpg

image 43.jpg

image 45.jpg

image 46.jpg

image 47.jpg

image 48.jpg

image 49.jpg

Most is down to your organisation Andrew.

Having everything to hand and easy to find is essential. Been a pleasure to do so far

I like to be organised and suppose it's a bit of my OCD kicking in as well having things labeled up and boxed etc. :)

Just a shame with the other problems that have been found now and it's due to other party's not doing or getting things correct! :rolleyes:

Looking good :thumbs:

Thanks Kaan :)

Great progress there Lee.

@ Andrew : why did you stick to such an "old" gen turbo? Plus the AR is pretty small .. lots of backpressure.

It's mainly due to the money I've spent so far on the other parts, when I saw this kit come up for sale I thought I'd run this for a while and then upgrade further down the line (but I wasn't expecting the damage that was found and neither was the previous owner!) and now can't justify just discarding the kit I've got as doubt I will be able to sell it on and then forking out even more for a new set up :( looking back I should have just gone with buying a new kit with the new gen turbo's, one thing I have learnt from this is I'm never buying anything like this again second hand! Suppose you have to learn the hard way sometimes.

Clutches, LSD's, calipers, dampers, turbos and heads are often cheapest bought new, in the long term, in my experience.

As I have said before, if buying used make a few phone calls and suss out the spares and repairs situation. A turbo that needs sending to the US for repair, dampers that are instantly obsolete, or with no spares available, ditto clutches, blah blah. For a few quid on calls people could ascertain that if X goes wrong it's financially effectively scrap.

I am sure it'll all be good in the long run, `tis only money ;)

Clutches, LSD's, calipers, dampers, turbos and heads are often cheapest bought new, in the long term, in my experience.

As I have said before, if buying used make a few phone calls and suss out the spares and repairs situation. A turbo that needs sending to the US for repair, dampers that are instantly obsolete, or with no spares available, ditto clutches, blah blah. For a few quid on calls people could ascertain that if X goes wrong it's financially effectively scrap.

I am sure it'll all be good in the long run, `tis only money ;)

I agree with you there Chris, I know I will be very cautious in the future and what sometimes seems like a good buy isn't always!

Yeah sure it will be fine, it's only paper isn't it ;)

Everything seemed to be going well again for a while but Lee found out that the prop i bought new from Toyota is the wrong one! :blink: it seem`s that the wrong prop had been packed in the correct box with the right part number on for the prop i need :rolleyes: can`t believe my luck on that and even worse i bought it over a year ago when i was collecting parts together for my build. :( and now can`t take it back!

so if anybody is interested in a brand new prop shaft (PA01) for a facelift (early) twin turbo 6 speed with small case diff i have one for sale now?