The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Yankee Style 1A1 Anthracite

safcdixon

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

big improvement! what wheels you going for? with the right stance it will look menacing.

Like the indicator idea too :)

Still undecided tbh but the xxr ccw reps are top of the list at the min black centre with polished lips :)

Has that been buffed yet?

No not yet it still needs buffing and waxing it had a quick polish to get rid of the total flatness after sanding the lacquer

Looks lovely, beautiful colour. What colour are you doing the Abflug inserts? Dark wheel and dark lights would look outstanding.

You read my mind Gaz ;) thats exactly what the plan is, gloss black on the wheels for now til i get new wheels and same gloss black for the headlights

Edited by safcdixon (see edit history)

Ive actually tried buffing this now but it just seems to be making the lacquer go asif it looks dry? as in rough white looking but the panel is smooth to touch it looks absolutely terrible In places, Im totally sick now tbh this paint job has been a nightmare! (EVEN MORE SO THAN LAST TIME) there's dents ive missed on it too, It was in the garage so long in the dark Ive not noticed the major defects til ive took it into the daylight again, majorly pissed!

I think im just gonna get on with the mechanicals now before I end up doing something I later regret, I think its a professionals turn in the winter to sort this mess out :( Either that or its gone and a replacement will be found!

Ive actually tried buffing this now but it just seems to be making the lacquer go asif it looks dry? as in rough white looking but the panel is smooth to touch it looks absolutely terrible In places, Im totally sick now tbh this paint job has been a nightmare! (EVEN MORE SO THAN LAST TIME) there's dents ive missed on it too, It was in the garage so long in the dark Ive not noticed the major defects til ive took it into the daylight again, majorly pissed!

I think im just gonna get on with the mechanicals now before I end up doing something I later regret, I think its a professionals turn in the winter to sort this mess out :( Either that or its gone and a replacement will be found!

mate, get it back on the road and once you've driven it again... the love will come flooding back!

they do ccw replicas!!! how did i no know this.

They are called xxr 531 or 521 theres a massive thread on driftworks about them Jake you can get them in huge widths too :eyebrows:

Thats the plan Ross im just sick of nothing going to plan the lacquer has ruined the paint job tbh but without it the celly paint wouldnt last two minutes

They are called xxr 531 or 521 theres a massive thread on driftworks about them Jake you can get them in huge widths too :eyebrows:

Thats the plan Ross im just sick of nothing going to plan the lacquer has ruined the paint job tbh but without it the celly paint wouldnt last two minutes

just checked they only make them in 15' and 16's :(

There is a big thread on Supraforums regarding the XXR wheels - there seems to be issues with the offsets which correspond to the widths. A major pain for stock body Supras.

It seems that they have been designed more for Silvias/350Z etc. :)

---------------------------

EDIT:

Unless you were to opt for sizes like 8.5 front and 9.5 rear, in which you can go +35. I was always looking at their sizes for equivalents to the 'usual' CCW Classic sizes of 18x10F and 18x11.5R. :)

Edited by James (see edit history)

Could you get 2 litre of the same colour paint but in 2K? And give it a couple more coats...

Just had a good read through and I commend your dedication! lots of hard work your putting in there!

It's easy to loose motivation when things like this happen but I've learned years ago yes short term doing bodywork at home yourself will save you money however if you want good results it has to go to a bodyshop plus as harsh as it sounds if you had gone there in the first place it will have worked out cheeper than going now.

I'm concerned about your bumper also, I looked in to getting my pods filled but the flex in the bumper is as rob says..... Massive, might be worth getting the bodyshop to have a look otherwise you will get your nice perfect paint job only to have your bumper crack open as your just starting to enjoy it.

Head up mate lesson learned and continue! I no a brilliant bodyshop who did mine if you don't mind transporting it to Leeds,I would travel the length of the country to use the guy I used plus he did a full respray on mine for 2k, if you need anymore info on this feel free to get in touch anytime

Edited by skippyboyo1 (see edit history)

just checked they only make them in 15' and 16's :(

Il send you a link when i get in from work mate they do up to 19 and 18s/17s are avaiable as wide as 11"

Edit found it quicker than i thought http://www.nlmotoring.com/XXR-531-Wheels-s/1674.htm

Could you get 2 litre of the same colour paint but in 2K? And give it a couple more coats...

They dont do a 2pk equivelent Ross, they could get it close but not to the original spec sheet.

You don't want to be spraying 2k in your garage like without an air fed mask mate!

I used 2pk last time primer then topcoat, this time used 2pk lacquer and im still breathing, For now Plus it smells lush and its the closest ive been to being pissed or stoned for years :D

Just had a good read through and I commend your dedication! lots of hard work your putting in there!

It's easy to loose motivation when things like this happen but I've learned years ago yes short term doing bodywork at home yourself will save you money however if you want good results it has to go to a bodyshop plus as harsh as it sounds if you had gone there in the first place it will have worked out cheeper than going now.

I'm concerned about your bumper also, I looked in to getting my pods filled but the flex in the bumper is as rob says..... Massive, might be worth getting the bodyshop to have a look otherwise you will get your nice perfect paint job only to have your bumper crack open as your just starting to enjoy it.

Head up mate lesson learned and continue! I no a brilliant bodyshop who did mine if you don't mind transporting it to Leeds,I would travel the length of the country to use the guy I used plus he did a full respray on mine for 2k, if you need anymore info on this feel free to get in touch anytime

If the cost included labour then your probobly right but in terms of actual cost to me its cost around £350 so a canny bit cheaper, in regards to the bumper im sort of expecting it to crack but touch wood it hasnt yet and ive caught it a few times already taking it out of the garage, so hopefully it will do me good for a while

Cheers dude I was willing to give it another shot and hopefully im just picking holes in my work (i doubt it lol)

I wouldnt mind traveling for the a good paint job tbh 2k is a very decent price at the minute too

Edited by safcdixon (see edit history)

The 18x11 is +20 though - you'd need either big arches or small tyres (265 or so) to get under a stock rolled arch.

Ah right hadnt noticed that :thumbs: big roll agressive should do the job :), i was thinking of doing 17" rears and 18" fronts like alot do in states so a bigger Semi slick type tyre can be fitted

I'm off to Glasgow for Scottish modified this weekend mate, how's yours doing? You get the clutch problem sorted

ah no bother mate, ive bought some uk spec front brake and was gonna ask if i could fit one of my wheels to yours to make sure they clear the wheel before i fit mine, clutch wise, should be sorted now, the garage where waiting on a release bearing, so ive owned the car nearly 3 weeks and ive drove 30 miles lol

Just looked then up, the chrome ones look good. I wonder how they will fare though, they are really cheap, I have a running experience of cheap means crap.

Xxrs have been proven to be decent quality so far though Gaz and at nearly a 1/4 of the cost they could be a bargain

ah no bother mate, ive bought some uk spec front brake and was gonna ask if i could fit one of my wheels to yours to make sure they clear the wheel before i fit mine, clutch wise, should be sorted now, the garage where waiting on a release bearing, so ive owned the car nearly 3 weeks and ive drove 30 miles lol

Ah right im about friday afternoon if thats any good mate? Good to hear its on the mend a release bearing shouldnt take them long to fit

You not fancy a trip up to glasgow like? There was some spare tickets but they may have gone now like

Xxrs have been proven to be decent quality so far though Gaz and at nearly a 1/4 of the cost they could be a bargain

As I mentioned previously - just make sure to do plenty of research as to the widths/offsets to ensure you can get a decent tyre on there without too much hassle :)

Ah right im about friday afternoon if thats any good mate? Good to hear its on the mend a release bearing shouldnt take them long to fit

You not fancy a trip up to glasgow like? There was some spare tickets but they may have gone now like

I wont have the car till saturday i think, if i can get it friday i will let you know, i would but i couldnt take it that far knowing whats just happened, and it needs a timing belt change asap and valve stem seals :/