The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another uk spec gone to supra heaven and a word of warning to young drivers........

fat_controller

As long as the geo is done up properly, decent tyres & smooth handling these cars are still very capable in the wet.

The biggest danger in heavy rain is standing water, hit that with big wide tyres and it's very easy to aquaplane, when that happens you lose practically all steering and braking control, about the best you can do is try to get through it pointing roughly in the same direction.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, seeing as this seems to be a big deal, would one of you like to quit with the snide comments and hush hush chat and PM me the details as to what happened?

After the comments first started coming from Scotty, I checked the car over and can't see any damage.

As long as you are happy Josh, that's the main thing. I heard about it on the grapevine and I certainly wasn't going to mention it as wasn't there when it happened and have no real idea how severe the damage was.

H.

I find it amusing and scary that people build 500 600 700 + hp cars and

have no experience of driving anything with such high hp but no one says a word !

:yeahthat:

I dont understand why our car test isnt similar to our bike test, ie if you want to ride a powerful bike you have to be tested on it. I would also go even further and say you need to pass an advance driving test which includes a skid pan etc.

As it stands at the moment if a 17yr old had access to the money there is nothing to stop them buying a 1000hp car and hooning it about without any prior experience or instruction on how to handle it if things get tricky.

Exactly this.

Call me what you like but after ditching my N/A last year the thought of having such a stupidly powered Supra now seems utterly stupid IMO. As James said doesn't matter who you are or how good of a driver you believe you are one little mistake with these thing's and there's a good chance it will be all over.

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

The biggest danger in heavy rain is standing water, hit that with big wide tyres and it's very easy to aquaplane, when that happens you lose practically all steering and braking control, about the best you can do is try to get through it pointing roughly in the same direction.

Oh yes!! Went though a couple of them as I am the only idiot on the motorway who drives in the left lane!! I actually felt the car slow down by quite a bit when I went through it!! Front squirmed a little but luckily the water was broken up by the time it hit the rear (plus I am only running 265's). Though I totally agree, standing water is hugely dangerous regardless what car you have, though those with wide tyres in perticular!!

Oh yes!! Went though a couple of them as I am the only idiot on the motorway who drives in the left lane!! I actually felt the car slow down by quite a bit when I went through it!! Front squirmed a little but luckily the water was broken up by the time it hit the rear (plus I am only running 265's). Though I totally agree, standing water is hugely dangerous regardless what car you have, though those with wide tyres in perticular!!

You drive like a looney :p

I drove to the Bluewater meet in torrential rain last week, still poodled along at 60mph & she felt pretty stable. As long as the geo is done up properly, decent tyres & smooth handling these cars are still very capable in the wet.

You got yourself a cracking car & it has the power as well as the looks!! :cool:

+1 We was also on the way home from Bluewater and the supra felt stable in the wet. If you know how to drive and know how to handle the car in them circumstances i dont see why there should be any bother :).

Its not fact though is it.

;)

I'm sure anybody of the age of 19 can treat a 300bhp car with maturity and respect if they choose to do so.

Oh but it is. And they certainly can, but not many would. Im not saying more mature drivers are perfect, not at all, but the stats and figures dont lie, younger drivers are far more likely to have an accident. Fact.

Oh but it is. And they certainly can, but not many would. Im not saying more mature drivers are perfect, not at all, but the stats and figures dont lie, younger drivers are far more likely to have an accident. Fact.

Ah, but thats not what you originally said :)

Dont care, at 19 you're not experienced enough to drive a 300hp, near 2 ton car. If that riles anyone, Im not sorry, its a fact.

The stats surely do show that younger drivers are involved in more accidents than experienced drivers, but thats not to say that ALL 19 year old drivers will have an accident in a 300bhp RWD car.

Sorry, just being a bit pedantic on the issue.

Just that I know a number of motorsport guys who have done various Formula racing and Rallying and even one local guy to me that is on the brink of Formula 1 , and they have all driven high powered RWD cars from the age of around 18 and I'd consider them very capable and responsible on the road. (Not saying that they will never have an accident only that when they were 18,19, 20+ that they didn't crash).

What I'm basically coming back to is that if you're 18,19+ then its all about how you drive and not purely based on 'experience'.

ie. you are not forced to press the accelerator all the way to the floor on every drive just because you are below a certain age or because you have not had the 'seat time'.

:)