The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another uk spec gone to supra heaven and a word of warning to young drivers........

fat_controller

Suppose I better own up, it was indeed my fault for writing the car off, although it hasn't been declared a write off by the insurance company yet, I would love to fix the car but unfortunately at the moment its a question of money but if I can possibly avoid writing the car off then I will.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you're okay. :(

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suppose I better own up, it was indeed my fault for writing the car off, although it hasn't been declared a write off by the insurance company yet, I would love to fix the car but unfortunately at the moment its a question of money but if I can possibly avoid writing the car off then I will.

Ironic forum name!

Sorry to hear you binned it dude! :(

The real victim in all this is the guy who owned the car written off by trashcanman from new until this year, 19 years of ownership, sell it on and six months later it's bye bye :-( i guess it just holds a place close to my heart with my first supra being a stock bodied black uk manual. I don't put blame on anyone for the loss of this iconic car as i don't know the cause of the accident etc, i had my arm snapped in an accident caused by something as little as low rear tyre pressure. Just sad to see such a good example gone

What you have to realise about me and others who do racing - ring trips - trackdays sooner or later its going to happen and when it does its not normally alittle tap or scratch as we use our cars for what they were made for and not washing down and looking at.

I was more referring to the comments made by the bib e.g. the car belonging on track and shouldn't be used on the road

He probably has a point in this instance having just read the driver's previous post. :rolleyes:

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Dont care, at 19 you're not experienced enough to drive a 300hp, near 2 ton car. If that riles anyone, Im not sorry, its a fact.

Its not fact though is it.

;)

I'm sure anybody of the age of 19 can treat a 300bhp car with maturity and respect if they choose to do so.

Plenty of older people can't drive slowly let alone at speed.

I find it amusing and scary that people build 500 600 700 + hp cars and

have no experience of driving anything with such high hp but no one says a word !

Get on a track and get some tuition, most will be shocked as to

how slow they are.

I know i was and i thought/know i can drive :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I find it amusing and scary that people build 500 600 700 + hp cars and have no experience of driving

anything with such high hp but no one says a word !

I dont understand why our car test isnt similar to our bike test, ie if you want to ride a powerful bike you have to be tested on it. I would also go even further and say you need to pass an advance driving test which includes a skid pan etc.

As it stands at the moment if a 17yr old had access to the money there is nothing to stop them buying a 1000hp car and hooning it about without any prior experience or instruction on how to handle it if things get tricky.

I dont understand why our car test isnt similar to our bike test, ie if you want to ride a powerful bike you have to be tested on it. I would also go even further and say you need to pass an advance driving test which includes a skid pan etc.

As it stands at the moment if a 17yr old had access to the money there is nothing to stop them buying a 1000hp car and hooning it about without any prior experience or instruction on how to handle it if things get tricky.

It is bonkers in my opinion, you can get into lots of trouble in a 400 hp car let alone anything higher.

I too think you should have to pass a special test to drive high hp cars and to be honest why on earth

do you need a 800 hp car on the rd ?

If you want to be quick and scare yourself get on the track !!

Not anymore :D But I already knew anyway.

I knew but had kept it under my hat with the exception of some NW members.

As had I, but some people just can't keep secrets !!

Im sure he knew, thats why it was bought on the cheap :D

Not really would you have paid that much for a car that had been written off ?

Right, seeing as this seems to be a big deal, would one of you like to quit with the snide comments and hush hush chat and PM me the details as to what happened?

After the comments first started coming from Scotty, I checked the car over and can't see any damage.

I don't really care if the car had been crashed or "written off" previously, as long it's back to how it should be (which it appears to be), then what does it really matter?

Maybe we should start a list of all the Supras on here that have been crashed and repaired, to stop people being able to sell them.

The childish comments are one of the reasons I stopped using this forum for a while, and now I'm back, they all seem to start again.

It's my car now, so please stop putting it down, as one day, I might want/need to sell it.

If it really is that much of an issue, would someone like to contact Simon and ask him to give my money back..?

Right, seeing as this seems to be a big deal, would one of you like to quit with the snide comments and hush hush chat and PM me the details as to what happened?

After the comments first started coming from Scotty, I checked the car over and can't see any damage.

I don't really care if the car had been crashed or "written off" previously, as long it's back to how it should be (which it appears to be), then what does it really matter?

Maybe we should start a list of all the Supras on here that have been crashed and repaired, to stop people being able to sell them.

The childish comments are one of the reasons I stopped using this forum for a while, and now I'm back, they all seem to start again.

It's my car now, so please stop putting it down, as one day, I might want/need to sell it.

If it really is that much of an issue, would someone like to contact Simon and ask him to give my money back..?

Have you HPI'd it Josh? If it comes back as clear, then it shouldn't be a problem. Try that my car check thing, think that's quite cheap. https://www.mycarcheck.com/ £15 for a platinum check with a certificate posted to you.

Plenty of cars don't get claimed for hence they don't get on the register ;)

Exactly this, for example if a car was damaged on a track it would not be claimed for unless you had track insurance or if you didn't want to claim on your insurance.

Plenty of cars don't get claimed for hence they don't get on the register ;)

Suppose so, still worth checking for the sake of £15. Am sure they are plenty of Supra's on here that have been damaged at some point and repaired. They're old, high powered RWD cars so it is inevitable really.

Suppose so, still worth checking for the sake of £15. Am sure they are plenty of Supra's on here that have been damaged at some point and repaired. They're old, high powered RWD cars so it is inevitable really.

Their's damage and then their's DAMAGE, would you buy a car that had been written off ? It also affects your insurance in increased premiums and some companies won't insure them.