The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another uk spec gone to supra heaven and a word of warning to young drivers........

fat_controller

Suppose so, still worth checking for the sake of £15. Am sure they are plenty of Supra's on here that have been damaged at some point and repaired. They're old, high powered RWD cars so it is inevitable really.

Yep your right and most probably come from Japan with zero history, ofcourse its worth doing the checks

here even on UK cars but its not 100% your car hasn't got some hidden history

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it had been repaired properly then yes. I have a friend that repairs CAT C and D cars and know the in's and out's fairly well. However, for someone to sell a car that had been damaged knowingly and not telling the purchaser, that isn't on at all.

If it was a dialy banger then I probably would but for anything else it would put me right off, I personally would touch a CAT car.

If it was a dialy banger then I probably would but for anything else it would put me right off, I personally would touch a CAT car.

Each to their own I suppose. As I said, depends how well it has been repaired, obviously Cat C cars have to be VIC checked. Plus a car can be written off for any reasons, not necessarily just through crash damage. Could have been keyed or had paint stripper poured on it for example. The same guy I know that repairs cars had a Cat C repaired M3 convertible, you'd never have known it had been crashed looking at the job he did of fixing it, was a 53 plate LHD that stood him at about £7k done, sold it as a Cat C repaired for £10500. Like Dunk said though, the car may not be on the list but could have still had some serious damage. You can't always tell.

That's the problem though isn't it, unless you have a proper inspection

done how would you know its been repaired unless its gone through

an insurance claim and is now a CAT D or CAT C

Exactly, suppose it depends how good a job they've done of repairing, and if you buy from an honest seller, provided they know past history etc. I suppose now at least if it is a damaged repaired insurance write off, it states it on the logbook.

Guest aspire

i had an issue once, HPI'd said car, all clear paid the premium price, next mot highlighted accident damage, car was pretty much worthless with that history, track accident! sorry to hear this josh, must be a sad day for you

Not anymore :D But I already knew anyway.

I knew but had kept it under my hat with the exception of some NW members.

As had I, but some people just can't keep secrets !!

Im sure he knew, thats why it was bought on the cheap :D

i had an issue once, HPI'd said car, all clear paid the premium price, next mot highlighted accident damage, car was pretty much worthless with that history, track accident! sorry to hear this josh, must be a sad day for you

I've had Scotty making comments before, and very childish ones at that.

I was advised upon purchase that it had been in an accident but repaired.

From what I've heard, it appears it was crashed on track and fixed without the insurers being notified.

I'm not that bothered, as I can't see any damage, or any bad repairs.

From what I've heard, it appears it was crashed on track and fixed without the insurers being notified.

At least he told you mate, that's the main thing. So long as it's done right and you're happy, what should it matter? :)

At least he told you mate, that's the main thing. So long as it's done right and you're happy, what should it matter? :)

ah, long as you were aware thats the main thing

Exactly. It's all fine by me. I just can't stand the comments from Scotty.

He'd ask me to go out for a "cruise" and when I said no, he'd be coming out with comments like "how's your crash damaged Supra" and crap like that.

For a 40 year old guy, he's very childish IMO.

As long as you extend the same courtesy to whoever you sell it to then it isn't a problem.

If you are happy with it then that's all that matters.

As long as you extend the same courtesy to whoever you sell it to then it isn't a problem.

If you are happy with it then that's all that matters.

I definitely would, and would allow any inspection to be done first to make sure there are no bodged repairs.

Hopefully I'll never have to sell it :)

Nope, does it matter if he was really? RobD is still breaking these things faster than they are being crashed, lets pick on him :D

No but im a nosey git sometimes lol also yea Rob has a reputation of braking these, hes now moved onto UK specs :D ...cant complain though engine will be appearing in a car nearby soon ;)

I definitely would, and would allow any inspection to be done first to make sure there are no bodged repairs.

Hopefully I'll never have to sell it :)

I won't be selling mine for a long time !! Once I have a house with a nice garage I am going to invest some money into the car getting it back into concourse conditon.

I won't be selling mine for a long time !! Once I have a house with a nice garage I am going to invest some money into the car getting it back into concourse conditon.

I'd love to do that as well. If I won the lottery, I'd build up a big singled monster, and change every part possible on my UK spec, so it can live on forever :)

No but im a nosey git sometimes lol also yea Rob has a reputation of braking these, hes now moved onto UK specs :D ...cant complain though engine will be appearing in a car nearby soon ;)

And there i was thinking the engine was going in his n/a... He changes his mind as much as a woman! Whats he going to do with his car now then?

And there i was thinking the engine was going in his n/a... He changes his mind as much as a woman! Whats he going to do with his car now then?

TBH i actually have no idea.... he changes his mind so much its hard to tell! I think hes in two minds over wether to sell :(

Exactly. It's all fine by me. I just can't stand the comments from Scotty.

He'd ask me to go out for a "cruise" and when I said no, he'd be coming out with comments like "how's your crash damaged Supra" and crap like that.

For a 40 year old guy, he's very childish IMO.

just sssshhh yourself. i dont see you being the definition of Mr mature.

It's taken me a good 5-6 years of thought before getting back in a Supra. Not because of the cost of ownership, but also because of the near scares and incident I had when she bit and span in the wet at circa 30mph causing £2,800 worth of damage and scaring the hell out of me.

Now I know a few facts: A) I shall be taking her very steady and the one I have bought is more for asthetics than speed B) I will also use the most expensive and capable tyres possible when renewing rubber and C) I'll never be taking her out in the wet.

I am now Mr Sensible.

It's taken me a good 5-6 years of thought before getting back in a Supra. Not because of the cost of ownership, but also because of the near scares and incident I had when she bit and span in the wet at circa 30mph causing £2,800 worth of damage and scaring the hell out of me.

Now I know a few facts: A) I shall be taking her very steady and the one I have bought is more for asthetics than speed B) I will also use the most expensive and capable tyres possible when renewing rubber and C) I'll never be taking her out in the wet.

I am now Mr Sensible.

I drove to the Bluewater meet in torrential rain last week, still poodled along at 60mph & she felt pretty stable. As long as the geo is done up properly, decent tyres & smooth handling these cars are still very capable in the wet.

You got yourself a cracking car & it has the power as well as the looks!! :cool: