MarkWs Provocative Supra

Westy

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lovely Pics buddy, it's not hard to take good photo's of your car though, very pure bud

:thumbs: Cheers Sunny

Wanted to see the rear diffuser pics....doesnt look like its on the car from these pics.:(

Diffuser isn't fitted at the moment mate...in my spare room/parts department!lol!

- - - Updated - - -

It's not on yet buddy, still sat in Aladdins cave :)

Snap!:D

Personally I wouldn't fit a diffuser to this car. You have kept it a perfect OEM example externally so far, and I wouldn't ruin it by fitting that diffuser.

This is just my opinion.

If I may be as bold as to make some small suggestions:

Some silver front indicator bulbs will eliminate all the orange reflection in the front clear indicators.

Possibly a small tint on the rear quarter lenses to make them the same shade as the front ones.

And bin/move the magic tree. :p

The car is looking excellent though, OEM and active spoiler equals massive win. :)

You must be very proud.

Looking great bud! :thumbs:

Thanks Jack.:)

Personally I wouldn't fit a diffuser to this car. You have kept it a perfect OEM example externally so far, and I wouldn't ruin it by fitting that diffuser.

This is just my opinion.

If I may be as bold as to make some small suggestions:

Some silver front indicator bulbs will eliminate all the orange reflection in the front clear indicators.

Possibly a small tint on the rear quarter lenses to make them the same shade as the front ones.

And bin/move the magic tree. :p

The car is looking excellent though, OEM and active spoiler equals massive win. :)

You must be very proud.

- Thanks for the comments...I get what you are saying re the diffuser, but it can always be taken off as I have a small batch of the rear plastic garnishes.

- The chrome indicator bulbs are already on order - cancel that!

- I only tinted the facelift front indicators to remove the dated orange...I actually like the red rear running lights.

- MagicTree keeps the interior smelling sweet!haha...suppose I could hang it out of sight though!:thumbs:

Edited by Westy (see edit history)

Lovely car, only spoiled by the HKS intake which is undoubtably killing your engine. Remove it and place a lovely and efficient stock airbox back in there.

Oh bore off lol, that test was done years ago with a single layer filter all triple layer elements these days are loads better.

If that was the case hisAFM (delicate as buggary on a vvti) would be fubar'd by the amount of time he's had that fitted.

HKS wouldn't make anything that would harm an engine, their job is to improve over stock.

Oh bore off lol, that test was done years ago with a single layer filter all triple layer elements these days are loads better.

If that was the case hisAFM (delicate as buggary on a vvti) would be fubar'd by the amount of time he's had that fitted.

HKS wouldn't make anything that would harm an engine, their job is to improve over stock.

Hmmm that's quite a flawed statement you make there "HKS wouldn't make anything that would harm an engine, their job is to improve over stock", you have already acknowledged the fact that tests of their last filter element were poor and below that of OEM performance and quality. Thus they did, and unless you can prove otherwise, likely continue to make sub standard products in this area.

I would also point out that "their job" above all other things is to make money! I would argue your (the customers) happiness is secondary to this.

I suffered pickup in my fourth cylinder, which I attribute to having used this bit of kit. Car ran fine and the damage was only found when the engine was stripped for a rebuild ready for a single install.

At the end of the day it's Westy's call but tests show this to be a poor quality bit of kit and I wouldn't want to see his engine damaged as a result of its use.

You have to acknowledge that the filtration offered by the new triple later filter is much better than the filtration offered by the old design.

Can you 100% put the pickup down to your filter? Or possibly something prior to your ownership such as a poorly maintained engine or incompetent technician servicing it?

All I'm saying is the filter would damage the first port of call (afm) before anything else, giving a sign of any detriment to come.

Yes hks have to make money, but with the thousands of these sold worldwide, it only seems like this website from all other owners that don't like them. I've ran two for 5 years on an rx7 with o issues and know several evo owners doing the same... Just seems like everyone on this site has not acknowledged the improvement of recent in these bits of kit.

Lovely car, only spoiled by the HKS intake which is undoubtably killing your engine. Remove it and place a lovely and efficient stock airbox back in there.

Thanks for the comments. The HKS filter has been the biggest criticism that I have had in the time I've owned the car...in its defence I did strip the pipe work down and cleaned it all before repeating the process a few more weeks down the line and found almost no trace of any dirt. I would switch back to te stock box of they ever came up for sale, but they never do!?:rolleyes:

This is what i call passion for Supra ! well done Man !

:D

You have to acknowledge that the filtration offered by the new triple later filter is much better than the filtration offered by the old design.

Can you 100% put the pickup down to your filter? Or possibly something prior to your ownership such as a poorly maintained engine or incompetent technician servicing it?

All I'm saying is the filter would damage the first port of call (afm) before anything else, giving a sign of any detriment to come.

Yes hks have to make money, but with the thousands of these sold worldwide, it only seems like this website from all other owners that don't like them. I've ran two for 5 years on an rx7 with o issues and know several evo owners doing the same... Just seems like everyone on this site has not acknowledged the improvement of recent in these bits of kit.

As with anything on a second hand car I can never 100% prove causation. I did indeed use the triple filter elements on my HKS kit once in my possession. If I had not stripped the engine I would probably never have known there was any pickup.

Until the later elements are tested properly I would personally stay well clear. HKS did not do themselves any favours with the poor quality of the original kit and have suffered from the reputation since.

Anyway, Westy we (Mr Spikedjack and I) clearly love your car so much we want to discuss it at length. Please view this as nothing more than looking out for your welfare ;)

Anyway, Westy we (Mr Spikedjack and I) clearly love your car so much we want to discuss it at length. Please view this as nothing more than looking out for your welfare ;)

No worries mate, as I said it has always been a topic of conversation with the car...I take on board everyone's comments and like you I would love another filtration test conducted on the new HKS elements. With no VVTi cars being broken these stock boxes are impossible to come by unless you buy from MrT and VVTi aftermarket kits that accommodate the MAF all seem to be extortionate (even this HKS one)

Just went out to the car to have a look at the type of bulbs in there and they are clear bulbs with a push in connection - the facelift indicator lenses appear to have an orange surround in them that encapsulates the bulb!? :blink:

Edit: some quick searches have revealed it to be a T20 21w bulb:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?215323-What-Bulb-Guide-Pre-Facelift-and-Facelift

Need to pull the car out the garage another day to look at the facelift holder though.

Edited by Westy (see edit history)

As with anything on a second hand car I can never 100% prove causation. I did indeed use the triple filter elements on my HKS kit once in my possession. If I had not stripped the engine I would probably never have known there was any pickup.

Until the later elements are tested properly I would personally stay well clear. HKS did not do themselves any favours with the poor quality of the original kit and have suffered from the reputation since.

Just a difference in oppinion, no hard feelings meant by anything said by either party im sure :thumbs:

and....

DAT ASS :love: