The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Kaan's SRD1000S - 3.4 Stroked Wide Body Project!

Kaan W

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hear the bad news mate and damn that is close! I'm sure once Lee's got it sorted and modified you will hardly notice it's been done, Will you just need the local area that's modified painting or will it end up being the hole engine bay again?

It will more than likely just be the strut tower masked off and re painted mate.

Holy moly ... that's close.

A little too close for my liking.

Kaan I was at supra heaven i.e. SRD today and say the beast itself, I must say I was short of words for a good few moments. Its very, very special!

Cheers mate :)

That's the same distance as my GT42-76 was from the strut tower, mine would just touch now an then as I could see the paint had a few marks but it never seemed to be a problem so I left alone. But you are doing the right thing in modding the tower.

Yeah especially the amount of work gone into the bay it would be a shame to crack the strut, it will be worth it in the long run though.

Shame about the Turbo fouling the strut tower, what exhaust manifold are you using Kaan?

It is but it's not the end of the world once it's notched out it will look as good mate.

Buy an OCD-Works engine brace? Although saying that, I don't like the fact that they're not rose-jointed at each end... Go custom?

Lee and I were actually talking about that if the turbo was too tight. They look nice but I think making room for the turbo will be the better option to allow the mounts to soak up the energy rather than the chassis.

Guest Nicholas
His missus would love it! Solid mounts in a road car, about as much fun as rubbing tabasco sauce on your bellend! :D

Seriously, coupled withs the then advisable solid gearbox mount... It would be awful!

I hardly think his car spec is "cruise around with the mrs" ;) my mrs won't even get in my car!

On a side note have you owned a Supra with solid mounts? I don't find it as bad as you describe, in fact I thought it would be much worse than it actually is.

Edited by Nicholas (see edit history)

I hardly think his car spec is "cruise around with the mrs" ;) my mrs won't even get in my car!

On a side note have you owned a Supra with solid mounts? I don't find it as bad as you describe, in fact I thought it would be much worse than it actually is.

My missus drives my sup! :) Yeah i've owned and driven race cars with solid mounts. A supra with nadgered facelift engine mounts is bad enough! Wouldn't even fit solid diff mounts on a road sup, gotta stay comfy on a cruise for me or there's no point using it on the road. :)

Guest Nicholas
My missus drives my sup! :) Yeah i've owned and driven race cars with solid mounts. A supra with nadgered facelift engine mounts is bad enough! Wouldn't even fit solid diff mounts on a road sup, gotta stay comfy on a cruise for me or there's no point using it on the road. :)

I guess it comes down to what you consider a road car and your personal aim. seems a shame to cut into the strut tower all the same. Do you know what exhaust manifold Kaan's using James?

Guest Nicholas
The issue is more to do with the bay smoothing than the manifold, it adds around 5 mm of material around the strut tower and also changes it's shape.

Ah I see Lee, that makes perfect sense. When you do these bays do you cut out the whole strut tower and weld new metal in or do you weld new metal onto the old strut tower?

Ah I see Lee, that makes perfect sense. When you do these bays do you cut out the whole strut tower and weld new metal in or do you weld new metal onto the old strut tower?

I smoothed my engine bay myself Nicholas, it's basically plated over the existing metal work.

Where my towers go straight down rather than the inward curve this is what's causing clearance issues with the turbo.

Guest Nicholas
I smoothed my engine bay myself Nicholas, it's basically plated over the existing metal work.

Where my towers go straight down rather than the inward curve this is what's causing clearance issues with the turbo.

Understood mate, I didn't know what metal work was involved in the strut towers.